Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I'll just throw this out there as grist for the thought mill.

Collectivism is the refuge of those who cannot or will not produce.

It is a wonderful thing ...... until those who do produce figure out it.

Once you run out of producers.  Authority steps in ...... and we have Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Thailand, Uganda, Cambodia, China,
 Germany, Russia, ......etc.

The difference being the degree of "intervention".

Populist leaders have a tendency to make big moves.   

So how bad do y'all think it will get?

Philippines News / Re: Half of Filipinos favor autocratic rule, Pew poll says
« Last post by FastWalk on October 18, 2017, 11:48:47 PM »
Yes it could be taken the way of politics or the way I meant and hoped it to go, how it would affect those of us who live in the Philippines who are not locals?

got it.   thanks for the clarify.

I "feel" as does my wife and family in the Philippines that it will be fine.  I don't think any location is safe from possible dramatic changes,  if from government or nature.  We try to watch (and info like this news thread is helpful).  Keep one self and family to be flexible so that can move or adapt if needed.  That means possibly moving back to original country or different low cost place in the future.

So much infrastructure and improvement occurred during Marcos time,  according to older folks living in from that time.  None have told me "yet" that it was a bad time for retired expats.

If such a change leads to a conflict between US and Philippines,  I wonder where would be the safe place for my family.

« Last post by Lee2 on October 18, 2017, 11:22:36 PM »
Hi Lee2,  Is this a politics question ?

Yes it could be taken the way of politics or the way I meant and hoped it to go, how it would affect those of us who live in the Philippines who are not locals?

I think when you combine another article in the news a few days ago "Duterte threatens to set up revolutionary government"
http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/10/13/17/duterte-threatens-to-set-up-revolutionary-government
with this one, it seems like a good part of the public would be willing to let Duterte or whoever might take over from him to run the Philippines anyway they see fit, thus I am concerned but of course it is their country to do as they wish with it.
« Last post by JoeLP on October 18, 2017, 10:43:17 PM »
Laziness. It saves the citizen from having to make real decisions. Always blame someone else and never take responsibility.

Completely agree.  But, the Phils, by and large, is full of a lot of lay people that in large part, endorse a lazy culture.  From the current government down.

If the right leader was to take over(say Duterte) who would get rid of crime, do the things he wants to bring in foreign investment, and at the same time keep allowing the vast over employment of government workers who get paid, more than anything, to sit on their butt half the day and do nothing....I think it would make most citizens happy.

But, too shortsighted to see that the person who replaces Duterte might be harmful to them all. 

Also I think Duterte would do a lot to push back against both NPA and muslim extremist terror in the country.  In the big picture.  Not so much in the 6 years he's being given now.

And the same goes for us foreigners of course.  I think we'd be very safe under a Duterte run setup.  But who follows? 

I stand against autocracy...but if it did happy, long live Duterte. 
« Last post by FastWalk on October 18, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
Hi Lee2,  Is this a politics question ?

I think this is one of those many questions where the answer is;  it depends...

For context on that, I believe

-The USA and Philippines and maybe others have been in Plutocracy for some time.
-Autocratic can be better than Pluto... depending on the leader.
-King Solomon of Israel and then King Arthur of Camelot did a good jobs,  definitely Autocrats.
-There are MANY examples of awful Autocrats.
« Last post by iamjames on October 18, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
Laziness. It saves the citizen from having to make real decisions. Always blame someone else and never take responsibility.
Philippines News / Half of Filipinos favor autocratic rule, Pew poll says
« Last post by Lee2 on October 18, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »
This is scary and IMO does not bode well for the future of the Philippines. What do you think, would you wish to live in a country run by a dictator or something along those lines?
According to Pew Research, 50 percent of Filipinos favor autocracy, bucking a global trend in which only around three in 10 people support a system with a strong leader who can make decisions without interference from parliament or the courts.
MORE: http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/10/18/1750129/half-filipinos-favor-autocratic-rule-pew-poll-says
My deepest condolences.
this list might be of interest

COMPLETE LIST OF VISA-FREE COUNTRIES FOR PHILIPPINES PASSPORT HOLDER (AND VISA ON ARRIVALS)

https://twomonkeystravelgroup.com/visa-free-countries-philippines-passport-filipino/
Relationships / Re: New to this with bad then good stories
« Last post by Montanacal on October 18, 2017, 05:46:21 AM »
Thanks Lee

And I knew that too,, I just went on autopilot with my typing,, thank you for the reminder and your work here on the forum

Craig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog