Author Topic: Has Duterte's Actions Impacted You or Your Plans?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline RedRider

Re: Has Duterte's Actions Impacted You or Your Plans?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »
Maybe it had something to do with this part of your previous post.

"It is not my place to comment on the internal politics, but I feel uncomfortable when the police seem to have complete freedom with no controls."

And you still haven't told us where you are from that would allow us an option to go to a crime free place in case we get booted out of here.

Again  you invent, I never talk about being from a crime free country.  Why don't you explain to me about the due process and the checks and balances that exist at this time for the police in the Philippines ?   

Anyways I still have about 5 years till my retirement,  things will have time to play out.  I hope that the Philippines end up a safer country and people eat every day.  The people I know there are great and deserve better.

As far as where I am from, you are right I am not from the USA but I do not give out personal information on public forums. 

This is my last post on the subject, since I have been reminded of the reason I do not like to posts on forums.  Back to being a silent lurker.

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2016, 04:35:24 PM »
Hi Redrider.
A genuine welcome to the forum.
I am a bit like you in that I sometimes wish I hadn't bothered posting on a thread.  Seems no matter how well intended your comments may be, there is often a lot of flak flying.  I can only suggest that you understand that it is not personal and try not to take it that way.

Don't be a lurker.... 8)

David
Londoner at heart

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2016, 04:58:17 PM »
You are right.  You don't have to tell us where you are from.  But, when you seem to have negative feelings about another place, it makes people curious as to what you know that is so much better than anyone else and what you know that might be able to help us.  What is it the hippies used to say?  Oh, yeah.  Peace.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
I like this President. He is real, speaks his mind. Kills the drug dealers, and threatens his police. Maybe this country can be cleaned up? Corruption will never go away, but it has been greatly curved. Open one of my boxes, and spend 6 years in prison. I like it !!!

Next time I bring watches into the country from China, I will not pay the customs fee of an additional 8000php, because the person in customs who opened the box decided that he liked the watches, and wanted to keep them??

I still have 4 boxes sitting in Manila because they want 26000php to release them? I have some very special items in those boxes. Things that can not be replaced. Things that my grandfather left me that are not replaceable. So, I am paying the money??

I will report this once my boxes are delivered, and I have no mercy on those employees of Forex who hold them for ransom.

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
Sacalait,

Suggest you dial the 8888 number and advise them of your trouble with BOC

I had a generator turbo charger hung up in Manila Airport customs

They kept refusing to release the item asking for new invoices from the manufacturer copies of wire transfers sent to manufacturer etc

Even though the duty and taxes had already been paid to them

I'm sure they were setting up for a bribe I called the 8888 number told them the story

The 8888 number then gave me another number to call after they heard the story

I called the new number told the story again  and within 3 hours the turbo charger was released by BOC

DU30 in my opinion is the only good thing that has happened to the Philippines in the last 15 years that I have lived here

Offline midaut

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 05:14:03 PM »
Sacalait,

Suggest you dial the 8888 number and advise them of your trouble with BOC

I had a generator turbo charger hung up in Manila Airport customs

They kept refusing to release the item asking for new invoices from the manufacturer copies of wire transfers sent to manufacturer etc

Even though the duty and taxes had already been paid to them

I'm sure they were setting up for a bribe I called the 8888 number told them the story

The 8888 number then gave me another number to call after they heard the story

I called the new number told the story again  and within 3 hours the turbo charger was released by BOC

DU30 in my opinion is the only good thing that has happened to the Philippines in the last 15 years that I have lived here

Glad to hear that, thanks!

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 04:46:33 AM »
really good news that proves the 8888 number actually can work and like you i am happy with du30 doing more good than bad is always a beter end result regardless of what outside people seem to think.if this was a normal country yes du30 would seem extreem but this is third world and extreem is what was needed. everyday i see improvements at street level here in imus .

Offline AggieExPat

• Born in Chicago and Raised in Texas...
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 05:25:35 PM »
Moved to Iloilo back in July, and I would be honest.  I was having second thoughts because of all the news that we saw about Du30. We were planning for over 3 years to make the move. But from what I have seen and heard the day to day life has not been affected.  Crime has gone down and drug activity is lot less.  My wife and I have no regrets, except for the daily frustrations dealing in building a business and of course family issues.  My wife and I are used to working and being by ourselves.  (We are empty nesters and have enjoyed being by ourselves in the past few years but now have an extended family to deal with.)

Here in the Philippines, I may be foreigner (Mexican Ancestry) but they think I'm mestizo.  With most people I deal with, it has been positive with respect and never been treated as the ugly foreigner.  I guess I'm quicker to assimilate since I am Catholic and can understand the dialects because a significant portion is derived from Spanish which I speak fluently.

I have been amazed with the current building projects around Iloilo and the advancement of the infrastructure.  I tell family and friends back in the States and Mexico that it reminds me of Mexico of the late 80's and early 90's.  There is a whole lot of similarities.  I am sure in love with the beautiful nature away from the Urban areas and love the beaches and the water.

I believe that if you treat people with respect, they in turn will treat you just as well.  I do not care what your background is from the Maid to the Mayor.I treat everybody the same way..

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:28:17 PM by Lee2 »
Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
I moved here in Jun 2010 because it was time to make a change.  I too am of Hispanic descent supposedly two brother that came to Mexico with Cortez then a Spanish/Mexican soldier that came to Alta California in the Late 1770s.  Having a Hispanic surname with a municipality, streets, etc with the same name here is nice.  Dealing with the locals with my name works til I show up in person at 6'2" even with my olive complexion, I am darker than my asawa unless I drop my drawers.  ;D  Agree the locals do not treat me as the ugly American and I try to not act like one.  They are treated with the same respect I would want from them.  I have had many discussions with the Developers of our subdivision that have gone as far as the HLURB(gov't body for housing) because they failed to comply with the laws/rules established here.  The local residents at first could not understand how you could question/challenge somebody they assumed was an authority.  Once they realized they had rights under the law and HLRUB would make the Developer comply they changed their view.

As far Du30 yes there are more drug dealer killings but other than that nothing else has really changed since 2010.  The poor are poor and the rich are rich.  Same as the US has been long time..  The PHP to USD as been better l

Agree love getting out in the countryside and beaches, some lovely places here in Cavite and Batangas.

Wish you and your asawa a great life in the Pinas.  If you are ever in the area let me know and I will try to get you around area.

Chuck
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:09:30 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 08:21:03 AM »
I have been here 17 years now I live 125KM from Iloilo since DU30 things have definitely improved no more Shabu Addicts partying in the Grave Yards at night over 900 people in our BRGY voluntarily turned themselves into the police for using drugs, 4 of those were my employees when I asked why they turned themselves in they said they were now afraid of the police and if they came to get them they would do jail time, also less problems with BIR, DOT and BOC and Local LGU since the 8888 hotline was established. Before drugs, theft was rampant in our area but was over looked now life style checks on all the Majors and Governors in our area several are in hiding, I live in Capiz Province home of Mar Roxas the presidential candidate DU30 defeated

Offline AggieExPat

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »

Wish you and your asawa a great life in the Pinas.  If you are ever in the area let me know and I will try to get you around area.

Thank you for the invite, I will keep it in mind.. I'm still exploring Panay and the Visayas.  We are planning a trip to Bohol as a vacation next month.  Unfortunately, the last trip to Manila was just business and have not had time to explore Luzon...

I am also light complected and 6'0 over 300 lbs. People do look at me differently..lol
Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline AggieExPat

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »
I have been here 17 years now I live 125KM from Iloilo since DU30 things have definitely improved no more Shabu Addicts partying in the Grave Yards at night over 900 people in our BRGY voluntarily turned themselves into the police for using drugs, 4 of those were my employees when I asked why they turned themselves in they said they were now afraid of the police and if they came to get them they would do jail time, also less problems with BIR, DOT and BOC and Local LGU since the 8888 hotline was established. Before drugs, theft was rampant in our area but was over looked now life style checks on all the Majors and Governors in our area several are in hiding, I live in Capiz Province home of Mar Roxas the presidential candidate DU30 defeated

I passed thru Capiz and Roxas on the way back from Boracay last month.  Stopped by and ate lunch at Coco Veranda.  Beautiful region, I'm glad that things are improving...
Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2017, 09:16:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply Javi welcome to the Philippines. If you get up this way again stop in for a coffee.

We live 23 KM out of Roxas city on the Panitan to Estancia highway. Just ask any one for directions to the Kano Rice Mill (Farmers Milling Inc) in Cogon Panitan Capiz.

atentamente

Tom

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog