Author Topic: Living aboard a sailboat  (Read 1012 times)

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Living aboard a sailboat
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:22 PM »
It is always my dream to sail.  Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking of making my dreams a reality.  I'm thinking of buying a used sailboat to live aboard.  As far as experience in sailing is concern, I guess it is safe to say that I'm a novice.  I'm planning on going back to the States next year in the spring, to take some classes to get ASA (American Sailing Association) certified.  I'm also planning on buying a used boat and sailed it back here in the Philippines.  I was wondering if we have any member of this group that have any sailing experience and experience on living aboard.  Also what are the pitfalls in buying a used sailboat?  I cannot afford to buy a new boat.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Living aboard a sailboat
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
I don't have experience with sail,  but some with cruiser.   Your plan sure sounds like fun.

How large will your crew be ?  family ?

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 04:41:03 AM »
It is always my dream to sail.  Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking of making my dreams a reality.  I'm thinking of buying a used sailboat to live aboard.  As far as experience in sailing is concern, I guess it is safe to say that I'm a novice.  I'm planning on going back to the States next year in the spring, to take some classes to get ASA (American Sailing Association) certified.  I'm also planning on buying a used boat and sailed it back here in the Philippines.  I was wondering if we have any member of this group that have any sailing experience and experience on living aboard.  Also what are the pitfalls in buying a used sailboat?  I cannot afford to buy a new boat.

I have a Hunter 326 sailboat.  My sailing is around the Arabian Gulf based in Dubai.  We don't get much in the way of bad weather so sailing here is pretty easy.  What you are planning is in a whole different league.  I wish you well but really suggest you get some long distance cruising under your bely before attempting the crossing from US to Philippines.  I also had in mind to sail my boat to Philippines from Dubai but decided against it for many reasons.  One of them being the risk of being boarded and kidnapped and the other purely financial, the import duties and taxes are crippling.
Londoner at heart

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
I don't have experience with sail,  but some with cruiser.   Your plan sure sounds like fun.

How large will your crew be ?  family ?

It is just gonna be myself and my asawa.  I'm pretty excited.

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:58:49 PM »
I have a Hunter 326 sailboat.  My sailing is around the Arabian Gulf based in Dubai.  We don't get much in the way of bad weather so sailing here is pretty easy.  What you are planning is in a whole different league.  I wish you well but really suggest you get some long distance cruising under your bely before attempting the crossing from US to Philippines.  I also had in mind to sail my boat to Philippines from Dubai but decided against it for many reasons.  One of them being the risk of being boarded and kidnapped and the other purely financial, the import duties and taxes are crippling.

I agree that I should get more experience under my belt before crossing the pacific.  Do you think your 32 footer is big enough to live aboard?  I'm thinking of 33 footer at the minimum.  If I do buy a boat, I will keep it registered in the US.  I guess I need to look at the laws here in the Philippines on how it works.  Either way, I would not register a boat here as you have mentioned " import duties and taxes are crippling."  As far as pirates are concerned, that is always an issue.  However, if we do not take risk, we are limiting ourselves.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 07:23:47 PM »
I'm following this thread with great interest.  When I was in the Navy, in Europe a great friend got me interested in sailing, as well as the Philippines.  I think about him often when reading this forum, wondering if he is a member.  Bob was transferred back to the west coast in 1974.  This worked for his plan to buy and live on a sailboat and eventually cross the Pacific.  I lost contact with him but wonder if he achieved his goal.
Mike........

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »
I agree that I should get more experience under my belt before crossing the pacific.  Do you think your 32 footer is big enough to live aboard?  I'm thinking of 33 footer at the minimum.  If I do buy a boat, I will keep it registered in the US.  I guess I need to look at the laws here in the Philippines on how it works.  Either way, I would not register a boat here as you have mentioned " import duties and taxes are crippling."  As far as pirates are concerned, that is always an issue.  However, if we do not take risk, we are limiting ourselves.  Just my 2 cents.

Yes my 32 footer is OK for a few days, couple of weeks but gets a bit tight on space for much longer than that.  Also it's not a true offshore boat so no I wouldn't contemplate crossing the Pacific with her.  I think you'll need something bigger than 33ft for that crossing.  Problem is, the bigger the boat, the more difficult they become to manage single handed.
Londoner at heart

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Yes my 32 footer is OK for a few days, couple of weeks but gets a bit tight on space for much longer than that.  Also it's not a true offshore boat so no I wouldn't contemplate crossing the Pacific with her.  I think you'll need something bigger than 33ft for that crossing.  Problem is, the bigger the boat, the more difficult they become to manage single handed.
I agree. I think 36 footer and above will do.  However, I do not think that I can handle by myself anything bigger than 42 footer.

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
I'm following this thread with great interest.  When I was in the Navy, in Europe a great friend got me interested in sailing, as well as the Philippines.  I think about him often when reading this forum, wondering if he is a member.  Bob was transferred back to the west coast in 1974.  This worked for his plan to buy and live on a sailboat and eventually cross the Pacific.  I lost contact with him but wonder if he achieved his goal.
I was in the Navy too.  I did my 20, worked for the federal government for 10 years then retired permanently.  I was on the aviation thought.  What we called brown shoe Navy.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog