Author Topic: Moving with a cat  (Read 389 times)

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Moving with a cat
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:57:23 PM »
Has anyone moved to the Philippines from UK with a pet? How did you transport your pet?

I met a guy here in UK who regularly travelled to Phils and back with his small dog - apparently the dog's ticket cost more than first class would have done for him!

Cheers,
Tony

Offline grahamw

Re: Moving with a cat
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:08:50 AM »
Perhaps one of these ?   :)

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:14:53 PM »
Has anyone moved to the Philippines from UK with a pet? How did you transport your pet?

I met a guy here in UK who regularly travelled to Phils and back with his small dog - apparently the dog's ticket cost more than first class would have done for him!

Cheers,
Tony

That's very strange Tony, not sure how your friend manages to do that as there is 6 months quarantine for animals entering UK.
Londoner at heart

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:32:52 PM »
Perhaps one of these ?   :)

:o

OMG! That looks painful!

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:20 PM »
That's very strange Tony, not sure how your friend manages to do that as there is 6 months quarantine for animals entering UK.

If your pet has a pet passport, a rabies vaccination and a microchip there is no quarantine. Dogs also need a worm treatment.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

What he used to do is come here for a few months, work seven days a week and sleep in the back of a van, make as much dosh as possible and then go back to the Phils where he had a house and a wife. He just wouldn't be parted from that little dog! :D

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 01:56:48 AM »
Many thanks for that link Tony.  That is really good news for me as I was wondering what I could do with the dog, a husky, that we plan to have in Philippines, when going back to UK each year to visit family.  Now I understand that it can travel with us is a great help.
Londoner at heart

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:30:39 PM »
Many thanks for that link Tony.  That is really good news for me as I was wondering what I could do with the dog, a husky, that we plan to have in Philippines, when going back to UK each year to visit family.  Now I understand that it can travel with us is a great help.

Glad it helped - you shouldn't have a problem. My sister also brings her dog in and out of the country without quarantine quite regularly.

Offline grahamw

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 04:10:23 AM »
Don't you think a Husky would suffer in that tropical climate ?

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 10:24:13 PM »
Don't you think a Husky would suffer in that tropical climate ?

Not as badly as the ones in Dubai.........but I do take your point, its not ideal, but they do seem to be very popular here.
Londoner at heart

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 02:03:34 AM »
Not as badly as the ones in Dubai.........but I do take your point, its not ideal, but they do seem to be very popular here.

Yes, I have a friend (filipino) who has a husky. They are not built for the climate but to be honest the dog seems fine! He is also a very active dog too!

Offline grahamw

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
Well of course there are a lot of people treating animals badly all over the world...whether intentionally or not.

It's pretty clear to me why canines that are adapted to live in sub-zero temperatures, have very different coats (and probably other aspects of their physiology) to those adapted to live in high temperatures and humidities (such as the local dogs in the Phils, Dingoes, and the like).

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 03:52:13 AM »
I was born in UK and by your reasoning I am therefore adapted to live in a cold rainy climate.  Strange thing is I seem to do OK in a desert environment where summer temps reach 50+C.  Maybe its something to do with the fact that I don't actually venture outdoors too much during those extremes and my life style and living environment is adjusted accordingly.  Much the same as my dog in Philippines would given a comfortable living space and exercised early morning in the cooler temps.  Not ideal but perfectly OK and not in anyway unkind treatment.  I cannot of course speak for all dog owners in Philippines as I'm sure there is a lot of mistreatment of animals, same as there is in UK.
Londoner at heart

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog