Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Building in the Philippines / Re: Security at Home
« Last post by M.C.A. on Today at 09:30:45 PM »
Nothing like a dog that's tied up as an early warning system... their hearing is second to none and you will be alerted.  I'd have barred windows and steel doors, concrete roof, main gates and gates to your entrances but don't totally block out the view from your neighbors, you'll want witnesses and if your walls or gates are a complete block out nobody will see or hear you in a bad happening.
Boats / Re: Living aboard a sailboat
« Last post by blindman on Today at 07:23:47 PM »
I'm following this thread with great interest.  When I was in the Navy, in Europe a great friend got me interested in sailing, as well as the Philippines.  I think about him often when reading this forum, wondering if he is a member.  Bob was transferred back to the west coast in 1974.  This worked for his plan to buy and live on a sailboat and eventually cross the Pacific.  I lost contact with him but wonder if he achieved his goal.
« Last post by lost_in_samoa on Today at 07:21:51 PM »
1.) Stop thinking like a victim.  Develop the mind set that you are going to fight if forced to.  Sooner or later some a__hole will oblige you.  Visualize and think about an attack against your person. That way if it ever does happen you won't freeze up with panic.

2.) Dress like the neighborhood.  Its the little things that catch attention.  Earrings that you think are modest may give off the "bling - bling" air.  My wife is proud of the fact that her cell phone is a Blackberry from a decade ago.  Pickpockets have offered to give her a phone.

I work a lot so my clothes are always full of holes and stained.  People come to beg from me and I can honestly show them that the only thing I have in my pocket is a hole.  Eat like the neighborhood.  That way you smell like everyone else.  Once again it is the small things.

3.) Develop situational awareness.  Search the Internet.  There are plenty of sites that have small games/tests to help you develop this facility.  Plan so that you are never alone.  Have competent people around.  When I say competent, I mean paying attention to the world and not distracted by the results of last night's game show.

4.) Arm yourself and your family.  Train until you develop muscle memory.  I am not necessarily speaking of fire-arms.  Though they are the ultimate equalizer.  In example,  both my Wife and Daughter carry sprays.  Which are readily available here.  They have practiced with the cannisters enough to be able to use them under stress. 

Take up a martial science.  I box.  The wife does Yoga/Taekwondo.  My daughter teaches Muy-Thai.

5.)  Start working on fortifying your house.  Window grills.  Stronger doors.  Security screen doors.  Simple security systems can be had for cheap these days.  But stay away from the fancy kits.  Simple is robust.  Robust is secure.

Animals can be useful.  Only if properly trained.  Outside dogs can be poisoned.  A well trained inside dog is better than any electronic system on the market.

Store up a bit of supplies.  You live in the 11th most disaster prone nation on the Earth.  Only common sense to have a few extra kilo's of rice/ligo and some bottled water.

6.)  Pro-actively avoid trouble.  Here is an example. I have a few relatives that drink. When I retired, I went to the elders in the family first.  Talked to them and made it clear that I wanted no trouble from anyone. 

A few days later my brother in law showed up drunk.  I firmly showed him to the door.  He went back to his home and started talking trash about us.  Until his Lolo told him to shut up and sit down.  Now they only come around when they are sober and everyone benefits.

Hope this helps.
« Last post by jjcabgou on Today at 06:21:38 PM »
that is a broad question, and it boils down to many factors.   Location, are you near a lot of drugs and crime?  are you looking at living in a gated community?  Is the security solid in the gated community, some have very strong security, and some the guards get paid to wave anybody in.   There are so many factors.
I live in a gated community and we do not take any extra security precautions at all.   There are many in the neighborhood that leave their doors unlocked when going to the store or to eat. 
Additionally much of it may depend on how you carry yourself.   Flash money and expensive jewelry around all the time and that may make you a target regardless of where you are.... or act like a total asshole to the locals, and you may be wishing you had more security...   
Building in the Philippines / Security at Home
« Last post by HappyBee on Today at 03:22:58 PM »
Just wondering what you feel is needed security wise for our homes? Applies to people living in metro areas as well as in the provinces.

Please don't share personal security information if it could put you at risk in any way.
Meet Your Neighbors / Re: tagaytay, cavite, laguna area
« Last post by balutsky on Today at 03:03:24 PM »
Too far for me, Im in Davao.

Cmon.  It is only an hour away.  My friend in Davao has been inviting me to visit her for quite sometime.  She lives close to the airport.  Planning on visiting her after the rainy season.  Maybe we can have a beer or so when I visit her.
« Last post by balutsky on Today at 02:58:49 PM »
I have a Hunter 326 sailboat.  My sailing is around the Arabian Gulf based in Dubai.  We don't get much in the way of bad weather so sailing here is pretty easy.  What you are planning is in a whole different league.  I wish you well but really suggest you get some long distance cruising under your bely before attempting the crossing from US to Philippines.  I also had in mind to sail my boat to Philippines from Dubai but decided against it for many reasons.  One of them being the risk of being boarded and kidnapped and the other purely financial, the import duties and taxes are crippling.

I agree that I should get more experience under my belt before crossing the pacific.  Do you think your 32 footer is big enough to live aboard?  I'm thinking of 33 footer at the minimum.  If I do buy a boat, I will keep it registered in the US.  I guess I need to look at the laws here in the Philippines on how it works.  Either way, I would not register a boat here as you have mentioned " import duties and taxes are crippling."  As far as pirates are concerned, that is always an issue.  However, if we do not take risk, we are limiting ourselves.  Just my 2 cents.
« Last post by balutsky on Today at 02:51:32 PM »
I don't have experience with sail,  but some with cruiser.   Your plan sure sounds like fun.

How large will your crew be ?  family ?

It is just gonna be myself and my asawa.  I'm pretty excited.
Meet Your Neighbors / Re: tagaytay, cavite, laguna area
« Last post by David690 on Today at 04:42:41 AM »
I'm planning on meeting Jeff next week in Tagaytay.  You should come.  The more the merrier.

Repaired quote box

Too far for me, Im in Davao.
« Last post by David690 on Today at 04:41:03 AM »
It is always my dream to sail.  Now that I'm retired, I'm thinking of making my dreams a reality.  I'm thinking of buying a used sailboat to live aboard.  As far as experience in sailing is concern, I guess it is safe to say that I'm a novice.  I'm planning on going back to the States next year in the spring, to take some classes to get ASA (American Sailing Association) certified.  I'm also planning on buying a used boat and sailed it back here in the Philippines.  I was wondering if we have any member of this group that have any sailing experience and experience on living aboard.  Also what are the pitfalls in buying a used sailboat?  I cannot afford to buy a new boat.

I have a Hunter 326 sailboat.  My sailing is around the Arabian Gulf based in Dubai.  We don't get much in the way of bad weather so sailing here is pretty easy.  What you are planning is in a whole different league.  I wish you well but really suggest you get some long distance cruising under your bely before attempting the crossing from US to Philippines.  I also had in mind to sail my boat to Philippines from Dubai but decided against it for many reasons.  One of them being the risk of being boarded and kidnapped and the other purely financial, the import duties and taxes are crippling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog