Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Yeah we use  Ubuntu.  Ubuntu Mate.

I got involved with Linux way back in the early 90's.  I used to run a pretty big BBS back before the internet was ubiquitous.  Just couldn't get Windows or OS2 to control 17 modems. 

Downloaded one of the first versions of the "Minix" kernel.  And I was off to the races.  Been using it for servers and workstations ever since.  Moved the Wife and Daughter to it in 2004.

Why people still use MicroShaft is a mystery to me.  And I've been an MCSE for more than a decade.
Since our mortgage is paid off, I'm not too concern if prices go up in other areas when the USD to PhP exchange rate goes up, since we have no control over the foreign exchange rate. I just set our monthly expense budget and hope it is enough without going over, then I'm happy.  ::) :o ;)   
Expat life in Philippines / Re: Is it getting more expensive to live here?
« Last post by bigrod on April 30, 2017, 10:49:27 AM »
Well the php/usd was close to 40 to 1 in 2013 and now 50 to 1 in 2017.  So the value of a dollar increased by about 25%.  I have not seen prices increase by 25%.  Actually my mortgage has decreased since the php amount has not changed.  Imported goods have probably changed since the cost may have risen with the php decline in buying power.

Chuck
« Last post by Lee on April 30, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »
My SO has o/s worker  friends in Philippines at the moment and they are posting about the rise in prices since their last visit. The peso is w es aker slightly and probably a major cause IMO
Welcome to the forum. Yes every year we come back I see prices going up on a lot of items but some items are still very inexpensive, which I guess helps to balance some of it out, for instance

Taxi and jeepney rides cannot be beat, a taxi here in Cebu cost at least 1/10th of what they cost back in Florida and jeepneys sure beat the cost of buses by many times over.

Water cost us less than p500 a month, water on our former Florida home used to cost me around $70 a month.

Sky Cable TV is one of the best deals, in Cebu p299 a month plus we can a la carte extra channels for p20 each to add only the ones we want to watch.

I am sure there are other items you all can think of that cost way less here while, Living in the Philippines?

« Last post by mogo51 on April 30, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
My SO has o/s worker  friends in Philippines at the moment and they are posting about the rise in prices since their last visit. The peso is w es aker slightly and probably a major cause IMO
About 4 months ago I switched to Linux Mint, another of the Unix based OS.  I did this after Microsoft forced an update that disabled my computer.  Took hours to get it recovered and then I was angry enough to change to a Unix based system.  No problems - the OS is fast and stable and there is enough info on the net in user groups to guide one through any problems.  Since I am not a Unix programmer, these user groups are very helpful.  Luckily all of the basic things are very user friendly.  I did lose the basic MS games though, but I have another computer that still has Windows on it.

There is also a provision to have a dual boot computer so Windows can also be present.  I did not choose to do that.
i have scrapped skype was too much lagg and with slow conections just kept dropping .i have viber and messenger but i like the newest app on the block no video yet i think but has voice runs very smooth and fast its called telegram ( https://telegram.org/ ).can be added to desktop ipads smart phones same acct very much like it over skype for vioce calls and can do group chats like skype too very easy to use no adds to slow it down and micro does not run to ruin it lol :)
Real Estate Information / Re: Buying a preowned house
« Last post by bigrod on April 29, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »
At least you will be close to the Santis store at Twin Lakes.

Chuck
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog