Author Topic: Magic Jack Plus, the new Magic Jack  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Magic Jack Plus, the new Magic Jack
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:04 AM »
If you have a lousy internet connection then the MJ will not work well if at all.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »
Bill,
Two cans on a string to talk to your neighbor will do just fine or just shout out from your kitchen window or from your dirty kitchen out back! No local or long distance charges apply!  :o ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:21:49 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 12:41:07 AM »
Updating the topic.
They now have the new Magic Jacks on sale for $35 with 12 months service and also are offering an additional 5 years renewal for $99.95 http://www.magicjack.com/
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 01:56:49 AM »
This is strictly opinion.  If you are considering MJ, check in to it real good and check out more reviews before you make your decision.  In my opinion, it will probably give out with in a week after the 12 months.  It will give you enough time to renew and then, kaput.  And in my experience, their customer service sucks.  Impossible, to my knowledge, to get in touch with them.  Unless of course they have some kind of deal to offer you.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2016, 02:10:42 AM »
I have 2 for about 10 years or so and they work great, maybe I have been lucky but then many of my friends also must be lucky too.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2016, 02:34:18 AM »
Well, looks like you and your friends are lucky.  I am not.  And I have heard of a few others who are not.  In my case, maybe the woman in the store who sold it to me did not like my ugly mug so she reached under the counter and got a return to sell me.  All I know is that no matter how hard I tried to contact them, I could not get any kind of response.  I threw it in the garbage finally and vowed not to get another.  Congratulations on your good luck.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2016, 02:50:20 AM »
Well, looks like you and your friends are lucky.  I am not.  And I have heard of a few others who are not.  In my case, maybe the woman in the store who sold it to me did not like my ugly mug so she reached under the counter and got a return to sell me.  All I know is that no matter how hard I tried to contact them, I could not get any kind of response.  I threw it in the garbage finally and vowed not to get another.  Congratulations on your good luck.
Sorry you got a bad one Bud, Arts went bad too, one of my a/c adapters went bad but both Jacks have always worked well. I also have the app on my android phone and use that to make and receive calls too and that too has been almost flawless. Anyway maybe it is the luck of the draw.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
How much is the Magic Jack app?
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
How much is the Magic Jack app?
The app is free on their website but while making calls with it used to be free, nowadays you have to pay a yearly fee for the phone number and to make calls, check magicjack.com for more info

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »
Still using my MagicJack here in the Phils.  What I find is where I live in the USA(EST) the time different is 12 hours.  So my night is their day and vice versa.  So most my calls to the US are at night.  Usually after 10p.  Sometimes early morning.  Those times of day the lines are more clear(internet lines) and calls are pretty clear and pretty easy. 

We have the 3mbps deal here and honestly usually it's lucky to hit 2mbps even in middle of night.  So not a lot is needed to make use of the MagicJack.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »
To get the magic Jack app, you download it from the Play store on android or Apple store on Apple http://www.magicjack.com/magicApp.html

The cost of making calls using the app is $9.99 a year if you do not have a Magic Jack and free if you do. The Magic Jack is not perfect but I find neither is my cellphone. I would say the main thing is that Americans who live outside the US should have a US number for convenience and the MJ is just one way to do that. When I call my US banks or credit cards on my MJ when outside the US,  they have no way of even knowing that I am outside the US unless I tell them but the main thing is that they immediately recognize my phone number, which cuts a lot of red tape whenever trying to get anything done with them.

Introductory Pricing $9.99 per year
Get a U.S. Phone Number
PLUS, get Unlimited Text Messaging

Make unlimited calls to the U.S. & Canada
Unlimited text messages to any U.S. mobile number
Choose your own number
Caller ID, call forwarding & more!

I use the app on my cellphone and also in our condo have the device plugged into my power and router and have a cordless phone hooked to it, so it works like having a landline that way.
Also because I have a data plan or when on wifi, my magic jack app rings on my cellphone and at the same time on my landline, so I can answer either one if home. One nice added feature is if I am on a call on my landline and someone else calls my Magic Jack number, then my MJ app on my cellphone rings.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
We currently use this Vonage/Globe service.  Call quality is excellent and Gloria can talk to her family for as long as 100 minutes per day for a flat rate.

I use Vonage and love their Extensions smartphone app that allows me to make and receive calls anywhere that has WiFi. Even when I am at home, I now make and receive all my Vonage calls using my Android cell phone rather than with one of three cordless phones I had around the house. The other feature that I like is Call Forwarding; when I get a call, it will ring through Extensions if there is WiFi, but if not, it forwards to my Philippine cell phone number.
I think no one ever answered you, I am sorry I missed your post, yes Vonage works well too but cost much more a month yet I am told that it can call the Philippines for free, so that might make it worthwhile too for some of us.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
I use my wife's Facebook and associated Messenger app on my Android phone. With wifi, It's free talk and text with video. I also have Skype, which also works great too. Anyway, I don't get many calls ever since retiring.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog