Author Topic: Our condo  (Read 1155 times)

Offline JD

• Sr Member
  • Late of Seattle, living in Davao.
    • AdoboHamburger.com
Re: Our condo
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »
... apartments are what you make them yourself or what the owner made them.
Very true, Lee. We remodeled our condo in Seattle before selling. Hardwood floors, Euro fridge, tiled bathrooms, new electrical, and it wound up that selling it was very hard emotionally. By the time we were done, it was one of the nicest units in the building. We'd made it almost too nice to leave.
"All we need, really, is a change from a near frigid to a tropical attitude of mind." - Marjory Stoneman Douglas
--------------------------------------------------
www.adobohamburger.com

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 06:29:24 PM »
My house in Mindanao was built by my next door neighbour - a very successful civil engineer - as their original family home. Two large bedrooms and a large living cum dining room + kitchen and CR. It is tiled floor to ceiling and is a very solid concrete structure. There is a 25sq yard balcony and the same area front porch. My rent is 6000PHP per month. Why on earth would I buy a property at my age?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
My house in Mindanao was built by my next door neighbour - a very successful civil engineer - as their original family home. Two large bedrooms and a large living cum dining room + kitchen and CR. It is tiled floor to ceiling and is a very solid concrete structure. There is a 25sq yard balcony and the same area front porch. My rent is 6000PHP per month. Why on earth would I buy a property at my age?
You most likely wouldn't, it would take a very long time at that fantastic low rent to ever catch back up, if ever, but if married to, or in a relationship with, a wonderful woman who wishes to move back to, or stay in the Philippines upon our passing, such as I am, then IMO and for me it is the right thing to do and the very least I can do for all she does to make my life better. One size never fits all, we each have to do what is good for us but IMO lets us not forget about our partners future.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »
Yeah, to each his own retirement lifestyle. In my case I married at age 39 and had a good job in the U.S. and we lived comfortably in a nice 2 bdrm, 2 ba condo near where I worked. I retired early at age 49, we got rid of everything we owned and moved to the Philippines to live out the rest of our lives. Now at age 68, our present home is paid for and we're debt free. My retirement pension has tripled over the years so we're still enjoying our retirement lifestyle even more so.
My wife will be well taken cared of upon my demise, but not for a long time yet, since this old body of mine still have alot of mileage left.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:52:08 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Online David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 12:35:45 AM »
You most likely wouldn't, it would take a very long time at that fantastic low rent to ever catch back up, if ever, but if married to, or in a relationship with, a wonderful woman who wishes to move back to, or stay in the Philippines upon our passing, such as I am, then IMO and for me it is the right thing to do and the very least I can do for all she does to make my life better. One size never fits all, we each have to do what is good for us but IMO lets us not forget about our partners future.

My sentiments precisely Lee.  I have made this comment on here before.  I feel it's is my responsibility to make sure that my younger wife will be financially stable after I've gone and that includes a nice fully paid for home and adequate funds to look after herself.
Londoner at heart

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog