Author Topic: Guess My Electric Bill will Go Up  (Read 1144 times)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Guess My Electric Bill will Go Up
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:01:47 AM »
After 5 3/4 years finally putting Aircon in our house.  Today they are installing A/C in our bedroom.  Guess climate change has finally hit me, darn the heat is finally getting to me. Sleeping should be more comfortable starting tonight.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Lee

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Guess My Electric Bill will Go Up
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »
I could not do without the a/c, I have a filter fan running in our condo and the dirt that comes out of the filters in both amazes me. In Florida I only change my filter ever few months and probably could get way with even longer, here, even one month seems to be too long.

As for your electric bill, maybe you can cut somewhere else, what type of a/c unit did you buy?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
It is a Daikin 1hp non-inverter, Lee.  Our desktop is also in the master bedroom so hopefully it will benefit from the A/C too. Daikin is ranked with Carrier.

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:43:34 PM by bigrod »

Offline Lee

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »
It is a Daikin 1hp non-inverter, Lee.  Our desktop is also in the master bedroom so hopefully it will benefit from the A/C too. Daikin is ranked with Carrier.

Chuck
Thanks...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:42:44 PM by bigrod »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:07:43 PM »
After 5 3/4 years finally putting Aircon in our house.  Today they are installing A/C in our bedroom.  Guess climate change has finally hit me, darn the heat is finally getting to me. Sleeping should be more comfortable starting tonight.

Chuck
Our wall mounted unit is a 1HP Hatachi brand and we run it 24/7 all year round since we stay at home most of the time and our average electric bill is around P7,500 to P8,000 a month, will be more though these coming summer months.
Some who have installed inverter type A/Cs have sworn that they have saved on their monthly electricity bill. I really don't know for sure, since we are still using our original 1HP split type and window type A/C so we have nothing to compare it with an inverter type, except for what I've read on-line like the link below.
http://www.penguinaircon.com/index.php/articles/inverter

I'd like to know more about solar powered A/Cs, but they seem to have a lot of restrictions and would cost a little more as mentioned in the this link below:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-powered-air-conditioning-unit/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:17:00 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
Well the A/C is up and running. ;)  It is a Daikin 1hp non-inverter.  Cost for unit 19K plus installation(including support brackets/tubing/wiring/separate breaker box) 7K.  The unit can be expanded to additional rooms but of course would require a larger hp compressor.

Chuck

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
Well the 1st night was great! :D  First time in almost 6 yrs at home did not really hear outside noise.  Dogs/cats/cars/neighbors so nice. ;D

Chuck

Offline Lee

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:00:42 AM »
Well the 1st night was great! :D  First time in almost 6 yrs at home did not really hear outside noise.  Dogs/cats/cars/neighbors so nice. ;D

Chuck
Hope you continue to enjoy your a/c and the peace and quiet it brings you, we just got our electric bill for our 80 sq meter condo with the a/c running 24/7 because I have medicines that should not be refrigerated but also should not be in high temps, so the bill was just under p11,000, I am pretty sure next month will be even higher.. :(  At least the water and cable bills here are much lower than the US, sort of makes up for the higher electric bill.

Offline conchydong

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Growing up in S. Florida, we never had AC until I was in my teens but once you have AC,  it is hard to do without. Having said that, it is the  dogs, roosters and loud people that disturb me more  than the heat in the Philippines. Enjoy the new found comfort.
Scott

Offline Leinster Lad

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 02:24:19 PM »
Always remember to set the thermostat to a SENSIBLE temperature.
Usually 25 - 26 degrees "C" is all that is required to take the edge off the heat and some moisture out of the air.

This is the most economical way of operating an A/C unit.

Remember, the aim is to be comfortable, NOT turn your room / home into a refrigerator !!!

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »
I had an LG split inverter type A/C put in....haven't used it at all...sleep with the use a fan most of the time...must be getting used to the hot weather...hahaha!
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »
I is normally 26-27 C

Chuck

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
I had an LG split inverter type A/C put in....haven't used it at all...sleep with the use a fan most of the time...must be getting used to the hot weather...hahaha!

Went 6 years with just the fan, finally got to hot this year.

Chuck

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
Well we finally got the 1st full month electric bill with the A/C was just under 4700 php, a jump of a little over 2k a month.  It is running 24/7.

Chuck

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »
We live in Sta Rosa, Laguna NCR of Luzon. Our bedroom 1HP window A/C  is on 24/7.  Our previous bill for March was P7,900 then the following current bill for April went up to P9,900 when the temperature has gone up recently. Oh well, that's the price we pay for our creature comfort we can't do without.
My wife also uses her electric washer/dryer twice a week and she uses our electric stove most of the time, propane is just for backup.
Our 10 yr old 1 HP (our backup A/C for our bedroom and 2HP for downstairs is the split-type A/C, which is in the shop for cleaning and servicing and it will cost a pretty penny when it's all done.
Next year we plan to replace everything with the inverter type A/C.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:01:52 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog