Author Topic: Subic/Olongopo of old  (Read 490 times)

Offline virgil4616

Subic/Olongopo of old
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:47:50 PM »
I was stationed in the PI's in the early 70's in a place called San Miguel. It was on the other side of San Marceleno  heading towards Olongopo, maybe about 25 KM's. I can remember loading up a jeepney and getting an express all the way to Subic. San Miguel had our own bar district called the Crossroads and it was pretty nice but didn' t have near the amount of bars Subic had. I don't know what Subic is like now but back then we had a good time. Of course I know the US Navy is no longer there. They still utilize Subic as a port of call?
 I plan a trip back to the PI's but I am flying in to Clark AB and Angeles City. From there I don't know where I may go. Any suggestions?

Virgil (Rick) Walden

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
Re: Subic/Olongopo of old
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
I was stationed in the PI's in the early 70's in a place called San Miguel. It was on the other side of San Marceleno  heading towards Olongopo, maybe about 25 KM's. I can remember loading up a jeepney and getting an express all the way to Subic. San Miguel had our own bar district called the Crossroads and it was pretty nice but didn' t have near the amount of bars Subic had. I don't know what Subic is like now but back then we had a good time. Of course I know the US Navy is no longer there. They still utilize Subic as a port of call?
 I plan a trip back to the PI's but I am flying in to Clark AB and Angeles City. From there I don't know where I may go. Any suggestions?

Virgil (Rick) Walden

Hi Virgil,
   If you are still "up" for the "Bar scene or bar girls"...then Angles City still fits the bill...but if you are "older and wiser"....you may want to experience the "real" Philippines..I have been in and out of both,(Olongapo and Clark), during my military days but I retired in 1994....I knew I wanted retire here in the  Philippines at some point in my life. I looked most all the islands and major cities. I looked at the political stability, muslim population, weather, and geo activity like earthquakes. Palawan has no volcanoes or earthquakes, typhoons usually go north of here thru Luzon and the capital Puerto Princesa is know as a "city in a forest". It is an eco friendly city and is a very nice place, (in my opinion), to visit or retire. Plan a trip to Palawan....no hustle and bustle of the city...just a suggestion. But...I say go where you want, keep an open mind and have fun.
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog