Author Topic: I Am Still Around  (Read 2169 times)

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: I Am Still Around
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 06:30:00 PM »
I'm not so worried about the next few months before we move is, as we have somebody staying there to keep an eye on things.
Thinking more about when we are actually living there. 
No doubt we will be away traveling for periods and the house will be unattended.
Looking at all options, alarm systems, networked cameras etc. big dog....!!
I am reluctant to install the iron bars for aesthetic reasons, plus don't want to feel like I'm imprisoned in my own home, but if its really necessary then so be it.
JD your bars don't look so bad but still I would feel like I was holed up in a safe house.  :-\
Londoner at heart

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
Believe you me, iron decorative bars are not for anti-aesthetic reasons, we feel safe 24/7 in our home and we sleep safe and sound. Our security guardhouse is just adjacent to our home.
We live in a nice neighborhood, but it's not void of burglaries even with the amount of guards present 24/7.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 01:10:08 AM »
Welcome back Meylou! So happy to see you with us again. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your place. Hope all is going well transitioning to your new home!  :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 09:14:19 PM »
Hi Meylou

Wondering what you did for security precautions in your house.  Our house is completed and ready to move in, but we won't be there till later in the year.  We have been advised to install steel security grills across the windows and sliding glass doors.  I'm really reluctant to go to these measures but if needs must....
Thanks,
David

Hi David,

Our house is equipped with cctv and alarm system. If the alarm goes off when we're out, the guards will hear it and neighbors will too. I'm even afraid of our own alarm system. It's so darn loud and it has ear-piercing, eardrum-busting sound. The guards do roam around as well. :-)

What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »
Welcome back Meylou! So happy to see you with us again. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your place. Hope all is going well transitioning to your new home!  :)

Thanks, Jack. We're settling down quite comfortably, thank you. We still need to furnish the guest bedrooms, still need some furniture but we're taking our time. There's no rush. We decided to take a break for a while, it was very stressful building. Oh, we have guests arriving from California in July, my sister and a family friend. We need to explore Davao so that we can give our guests a tour. We haven't done any exploration yet. I'm slowly starting to garden a little. I like growing our own veggies. But this activity too is being done slowly, when the heat is tolerable.
Gosh, darn. I have to get going don't I.

Edit by Steve: Fixed the double quote.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:25:38 AM by Steve & Myrlita »
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 12:52:43 AM »
Hi David,

Our house is equipped with cctv and alarm system. If the alarm goes off when we're out, the guards will hear it and neighbors will too. I'm even afraid of our own alarm system. It's so darn loud and it has ear-piercing, eardrum-busting sound. The guards do roam around as well. :-)

Hi Meylou
Yes we will install cctv and alarm as well.
So you didn't feel the need to put iron grills over all the doors and windows?
Londoner at heart

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
Well i am a silent member here most of the time. Congrats to you Maylou and David on your new home. I am sure you will enjoy it immensely. We live in North Luzon and also built our home here. Well actually we were the contractor. Did our own hiring and purchases etc. Was quite an experience i must say, took awhile to finish mainly because of some health problems i suffered. Broken hip and replacement, now all that drama is over. We finished our house in 2013. At first i did not want security bars on the windows but wife talked me into it. I must admit it worked out well and it actually looks good. For the doors we have multiple locks and screen doors all with dead bolt locks. That helps with keeping out the flies and mosquitos. We also have a 8 camera CCTV. system and motion detectors. The CCTV mostly serve as a look out aid as we can see who is ringing our gate bell and what is happening around the house. We have one dog. I do love dogs but i hate cleaning dog poop each day. One thing i noticed here no one clean dog poop. Seriously thinking of letting the dog go.
Where we live is a quiet area and we have good neighbours. We are always vigilant but not paranoid. We do have a perimeter fence built with concrete and iron rails on top. Lights around the perimeter.
Well so far so good and we been living here in the house for three years now. No major problems and we enjoy it very much.
Just thought i would chip in and share my experience some. I like to see others like us who decide to build.
Take care and God Bless.

Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »
To me,  the Iron bars seem really normal.  Likely if do not have them everyone asks why.  Maybe not needed all the time,   but when the storms come and things around are not working then the extra secure is nice.   Plus... it is something else to spend time painting later.

“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »
My biggest problem with the iron bars is the bird poop. We have hundreds of those little brown birds and they use the bars as perch. Every months or so i go around the house and power wash the windows. I also notice the white trim paint  in some place is fading to yellow. Must be the quality paint not good.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog