Author Topic: New here - marshie  (Read 649 times)

Offline marshie

New here - marshie
« on: March 05, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »
Hello everyone. I just registered in this site yesterday and thought to try introducing myself. I am not an expat, born in Batangas, Philippines and been living in Makati for the last 8 years or so.
I found the forum quite informative and entertaining.
I joined to have both of learning from others and hopefully be able to help as well by giving inputs on topics.

That is all for now.

Cheers,
Marshie

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: New here - marshie
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:41 AM »
Hi Marshe welcome to the forum and to our friendly group. Over my years in and out of the Philippines, I have found that we westerners have a lot to learn from those from the Philippines and they too can learn from us, thus making for a better relationship and life for all of us.

My wife and I really liked the time we spent in Makati some years back, the hotels, malls, shopping, streets, restaurants and all that can be found there, made us want to move there, we started making plans as one of our friends Jose who managed a BPI bank in Cagayan de Oro also planned to move to Makati but when he passed away way too young. then our plans changed and we ended up in Cebu where my wife has family an hour and a half away, so I often wonder what our life might have been like had we ended up there instead of here for our part time life in the Philippines.

I hope to see you posting more and helping out our members and at the same time commenting if anything on the forum helps you. Enjoy the forum and our members.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline marshie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:10:15 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Lee!

I have been lurking here for the past few days before I joined. So are you now fluent with bisaya?
I wanted to know how to speak it but only knows very few words.
That is quite a story of how you and your wife ended up to live in Cebu. Living in Makati is really nice but it is also good to have a province to visit once in a while. I visit Batangas every few weeks so I can have a slow paced environment :)
Yes, I hope I can help by posting more here in the forum.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, Lee!

I have been lurking here for the past few days before I joined. So are you now fluent with bisaya?
I wanted to know how to speak it but only knows very few words.
That is quite a story of how you and your wife ended up to live in Cebu. Living in Makati is really nice but it is also good to have a province to visit once in a while. I visit Batangas every few weeks so I can have a slow paced environment :)
Yes, I hope I can help by posting more here in the forum.
I speak and understand some small amount of Filipino and understand quite a bit of Bisaya but only speak a small amount because I cannot get the accent correct.

We have never been to Batangas but we have been to San Pablo Laguna too where one of my wife's sisters lives. I guess what made us pick Cebu was all the transportation here, lots of taxis and jeepneys, just like Makati had when we were there but Cebu used to be a slower pace than Makati, plenty of traffic now though, too much for my liking, yet lots of expats here, so I do not stand out as much as in the provinces.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Minibrings

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 03:20:08 AM »
Hello everyone. I just registered in this site yesterday and thought to try introducing myself. I am not an expat, born in Batangas, Philippines and been living in Makati for the last 8 years or so.
I found the forum quite informative and entertaining.
I joined to have both of learning from others and hopefully be able to help as well by giving inputs on topics.

That is all for now.

Cheers,
Marshie
Welcome Marshie.. How do you get used to that traffic?  I was born and grew up in Makati (til I was 10ish) and I went back last year and I thought Bangkok traffic was bad.. Manila takes the cake!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »
Welcome Marshie.  Hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to reading your contributions also. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline marshie

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
^Thanks for the welcome.  Born and raised here so I am really used to the traffic. From my apartment to the office, it takes 40 minutes to one hour travel period but it's obly 3 kms away. Try not to go out or go home on rush hour.

I haven't been to Bangkok but to the countries that I've been, PH still has the number one spot for bad traffic lol.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »
I haven't been to Bangkok but to the countries that I've been, PH still has the number one spot for bad traffic lol.
Welcome from me too. We've been to Bangkok a few times and their traffic is similar to that of the Philippines.
That's why I never drive into the city of Manila. Even though we have 2 vehicles, we hire a driver and vehicle when going out of our area from where we live. Makes it less of a worry and stress free commute and saves wear and tear on our own vehicles.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Have been in traffic in Manila, Bangkok and HCMC(Saigon) all terrible.  I live in General Trias Cavite and have no problem driving to a limited area in Manila(MOA area, Embassy, Intramuros, Baclaran) when outside that I have a driver. 

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline marshie

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 07:12:35 PM »
Thanks, Art and Chuck.  Yes and with the existence of grab/uber, some prefer it than bringing their own car. The convenience of just convenience of just riding the car and not stressing on parking space especially in Makati.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »
The few times that I do travel to Manila I've seen many that use bikes for such a short run, as we are sitting and stuck in horrible traffic those on bikes pass us.  I get my coffee from the Batangas region I live near Pila Laguna.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline marshie

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
^Bike is convenient as well but you'll get to inhale all the pollution.
My province is Batangas and living in Manila for ten years now.  Coffee is our product :)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog