Author Topic: Microsoft is killing Windows Vista  (Read 632 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Microsoft is killing Windows Vista
« on: March 17, 2017, 03:54:23 AM »
Just a heads up for any of you still using it.
Microsoft is putting the final nail in the coffin of its 10-year old and often maligned operating system, Windows Vista.

After April 11, the U.S. technology giant will end support for Vista, meaning customers will no longer get crucial security or software updates. 
READ MORE: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/16/microsoft-killing-windows-vista-heres-what-you-should-do.html
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Microsoft is killing Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:12:49 AM »
Yeap, I know all about it. My old HP desktop has Windows Vista. It's no longer safe to use it on-line.
Sad, I like Windows Vista. Now need to upgrade my CPU or just buy a new one. Luckily we have 2 laptops with Windows 10.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:50 AM »
Yeap, I know all about it. My old HP desktop has Windows Vista. It's no longer safe to use it on-line.
Sad, I like Windows Vista. Now need to upgrade my CPU or just buy a new one. Luckily we have 2 laptops with Windows 10.
I guess for you Art it might be time to try a new operating system for that computer, yet I am told that many internet cafes in the Philippines are still even using XP, so as long as a person does not use their Vista or XP for banking or other important things, then I would guess browsing should still be okay.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »
art keep useing vista just add this https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall/ its a free easy to use firewall unlike micro's own it can be tweeked as you want and very user friendly and best part its free . i used it with vista for many years with no problems at all.

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »
It says it's only compatible with MS Windows Defender, which I don't use, because I'm using something else where my MS Windows Defender has been deactvated.
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
art keep useing vista just add this https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall/ its a free easy to use firewall unlike micro's own it can be tweeked as you want and very user friendly and best part its free . i used it with vista for many years with no problems at all.
OK, I just reactivated my MS Windows Defender and downloaded the Zone Alarm you provided. Now I'll just go on line and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:40:36 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
Art keep using vista just add this https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall/ its a free easy to use firewall unlike micro's own it can be tweeked as you want and very user friendly and best part its free . i used it with vista for many years with no problems at all.
Just downloaded and installed the free shareware "zone alarm" link you provided and it seems to help my old Vista OS that no longer has tech support and or windows update capability. So I deactivated windows update on my old desktop with Vista all together since I always get a failed update icon on my task bar. Now my desktop seems to work without all the popup warnings that my Vista OS no longer has tech support. I'll just use zone alarm for browsing the net only and not with my other important stuff like online home banking and payments, which I will only use Windows 10 on our laptops. Identity thief of my important stuff would be devastating.
Also Yahoo seems to have hacking issues of emails. I cleaned up my Yahoo account since the news came out. I don't use Yahoo anymore.     
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:32:40 AM »
glad it seemed to help you 

Offline Ryan_Stevens

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »
Hi friend I have also hear the news about Microsoft killing the Windows Vista but didn't find any article anyone know the best article site plz suggestion where to find the best article side where can read Microsoft Killing Windows Vista.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »
Hi friend I have also hear the news about Microsoft killing the Windows Vista but didn't find any article anyone know the best article site plz suggestion where to find the best article side where can read Microsoft Killing Windows Vista.
Windows Vista support has ended
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/22882/windows-vista-end-of-support
As of April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers are no longer receiving new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft. Microsoft has provided support for Windows Vista for the past 10 years, but the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources towards more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

What happens if I continue to use Windows Vista?

If you continue to use Windows Vista now that support has ended, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Internet Explorer 9 is no longer supported, so if your Windows Vista PC is connected to the Internet and you use Internet Explorer 9 to surf the web, you might be exposing your PC to additional threats. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter more apps and devices that do not work with Windows Vista.

Microsoft has also stopped providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows Vista. If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you'll continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time. However, please note that Microsoft Security Essentials (or any other antivirus software) will have limited effectiveness on PCs that do not have the latest security updates. This means that PCs running Windows Vista will not be secure and will still be at risk for virus and malware.

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
I don't read the articles about Vista's tech support expiring anymore, they only give two solutions, replace the hardware with Windows 10 included or buy a new PC.
Some one on here provided a link of a free shareware called zone alarm https://www.google.com/search?q=zone+alarm
I just disabled my automatic windows update and installed this zone alarm free shareware and it works just fine on my HP desktop with Vista until I have the chance to upgrade my CPU's hardware with Windows 10 included or just purchase a new PC. So until then, this zone alarm software will suffice for now with my Vista OS.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:34:37 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
hi art was me that gave zone alarm i am glad its working good for you and it is user friendly and very safe to use.
it is a good way to stay safe for free and still enjoy old operating systems untill change made .

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
Thanks copusmaximus for providing that info, my desktop's Vista OS is working great as though it has a new lease on life.
I'm still cleaning up my Yahoo account. I have so much stuff on there I need to save and or transfer to my other other email address or save on to my PC. It'll still take some time before I can delete my Yahoo account.
Again, thanks for the info to continue using my Vista OS on my old HP desktop. I'm still perturb with Windows 10 and or 7 and 8.1. Why couldn't MS just leave XP and or Vista well enough alone? I know that some don't like Vista, but then again to each their own like as I always say, "Different Strokes For Different Folks".

"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog