Author Topic: G.I. Bill / Colleges in P.I.  (Read 3425 times)

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
G.I. Bill / Colleges in P.I.
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:39 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the (new) G.I. bill and using it in the Philippines?  Based on my readings I believe it is very possible to use there (in the \"approved\" schools).  I am wondering how much the BAH benefit is, what the \"amount\" you can receive for school/registration/books, etc. (My understanding of the new GI bill is it will pay you BAH based on E5(w/dependants) and regestration/fees up to the highest public state school)
I would like to go back to school after my time in the Navy is up, just wondering if anyone has done it.
Thx
Jeff
Jeff

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: G.I. Bill / Colleges in P.I.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »
Welcome Jeff, Go Navy.

Have great time on the forum, lots of people to help or point you in the right direction.

Wayne  ;D ;D
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:17:16 AM »
Some of the information I have found thus far:

Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill you will receive:
•   a tuition & fees payment (paid directly to the school) not to exceed the tuition & fees at the most expensive state Institution of Higher Learning (IHL)
•   a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This amount is based on the ZIP code of the location of the school you are attending
•   an annual book stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment
•   you may also receive a one-time rural benefit payment of $500.00 if you reside in a county with 6 persons or less per square mile (as determined by the most recent decennial census) and:
1.   either physically relocate at least 500 miles to attend an educational institution or
2.   travel by air to physically attend an educational institution if no other land-based transportation exists

•   What could I receive for a housing allowance if I qualify?
The housing allowance amount payable is determined using the location of the school certifying your enrollment. The amount payable is prorated based on your benefit level (40% to 100%). For more information about the housing allowance, visit the basic allowance for housing page (external link). For those attending foreign schools (schools without a main campus in the U.S.) the BAH rate is fixed at $1,333.00 for 2009.

Table last updated August 31, 2009

State          Maximum Charge per Credit Hour      Maximum Total Fees per Term
Alabama     $291.67                                       $13,328.00
Alaska        $159.00                                        $13,429.00
Arizona       $657.00                                        $15,000.59
Arkansas     $200.40                                        $1,811.40
California    $287.00                                        $2,165.25
Colorado     $497.00                                        $45,387.50
Overseas    $407.18                                        $10,502.97

Over 280 Institutions of Higher Learning found under the Philippines.

Jeff

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 01:32:33 AM »
More (Found on V.A Site http://www.gibill.va.gov/Vet_Info/OS_TrngV.htm)

FOREIGN TRAINING FOR VETERANS, SERVICEPERSONS, RESERVISTS, AND ELIGIBLE DEPENDENTS
This document provides general information about the approval of programs of education at foreign schools. It also provides specific information for veterans, servicepersons, reservists, and eligible dependents who are planning to pursue training at a foreign school.

ELIGIBILITY
1.) To be eligible for training in a foreign school, you must meet the same basic eligibility requirements as for training in the United States. In addition, the training at the foreign school must be at an institution of higher learning leading to a standard college degree, or the equivalent, and the program of education at the foreign institution must have been approved by VA.

You should submit the appropriate application form listed below to VA. All of these forms can be downloaded from this website by clicking on the “Education Forms” link in the menu area at the left of this page. These forms can also be submitted electronically by clicking on the Electronic Application Form link in the menu area at the left of this page.

NOTE: Applying electronically will establish your date of claim on the following business day but may necessitate you mail related paperwork to VA, including your signature, before you can receive benefits.

If you know the foreign educational institution and program of education you intend to pursue, please indicate this on your application.

a.) Veterans/Servicepersons/Reservists
Submit VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits, if you are a veteran, serviceperson, or reservist and are applying for the first time.
Submit VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, if you are a veteran, serviceperson, or reservist and you are requesting a change of program or place of training.

b.) Dependents
Submit VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors’ and Dependents\' Educational Assistance, if you are a spouse or a child and are applying for the first time.
Submit VA Form 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training - Survivors’ and Dependents Educational Assistance, if you are a spouse or a child and you are requesting a change of program or place of training.

c.) Disabled Veterans
Submit VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Applications Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, if you have a service-connected disability which VA has rated at least 20 percent disabling, or 10 percent disabling if you have a serious employment handicap.

2.) If you are determined to be eligible for VA benefits, you will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility showing the number of months of entitlement you have, as well as the date your eligibility expires. If possible, you should have this document in your possession before enrolling at a foreign school.

3.) You should submit your application early enough to have the program of education approved before leaving the United States. (See General Instruction below.)

4.) You may receive VA benefits under the following programs of educational assistance:

a.) The Post-9/11 GI Bill
b.) Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (Chapter 30)
c.) Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
d.) Post-Vietnam Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program – VEAP (Chapter 32)
e.) Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
f.) Educational Assistance Pilot Program (Section 901)
g.) Omnibus Diplomatic Security & Antiterrorism Act
Jeff

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »
I would like to request this post be moved to the Veterans Benefits page pls.
Jeff

Offline nanook

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:38 PM »
Southern,

Just found the forum, hope you don\'t mind me butting in.  I have decided to keep my Montgomery GI bill instead of transfering to the post 911.  With the Montgomery bill the benefits are paid directly to the member unlike the new 911 bill where it pays the school.  This will serve me best when I start school in the PI, the extra money after tution goes right in my pocket and will help supliment my retirement pay..Just a thought to consider before taking new 911 bill.  What do you think?

V/R

Nanook

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:03:37 AM »
nanook,
Welcome to the forum...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »
It would depend on the amount of money you get per month with the Montgomery GI bill and wether or not you could pay the up-front cost of the school before getting paid.

Based on my current understanding:
Montgomery G.I. bill pays a set amount (while going to school??) per month.
  You then have to pay all cost associated with the school from your own pocket.

Post-911 G.I. bill allows you to go to school for 36 months.  It pays the school (Tuition, max $10,502.97/term), gives you a BAH ($1,333.00/month) and (I believe) a small stipend for books/mandatory fees.

So unless the Montgomery G.I. bill pays more than $17,167.97 / term I would go with the post-911 bill.
(Assuming a term=5 months and you max out the cost perterm.  A cheaper school would change this.)

Southern,

Just found the forum, hope you don\'t mind me butting in.  I have decided to keep my Montgomery GI bill instead of transfering to the post 911.  With the Montgomery bill the benefits are paid directly to the member unlike the new 911 bill where it pays the school.  This will serve me best when I start school in the PI, the extra money after tution goes right in my pocket and will help supliment my retirement pay..Just a thought to consider before taking new 911 bill.  What do you think?

V/R

Nanook
Jeff

Offline lolhahaha

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
So has anybody on here actually used this in the Philippines yet? I wish I knew because I am about to try it myself in a few months when I retire. I saw that it says that you can get transportation paid too? Does that mean I can get a free ticket to the Philippines? That would be nice!

I still have montgomery but need to find out if I should switch to the new GI Bill. I think that for online courses at least the Montgomery is better since you get full payment while the new changes to the new GI Bill give you 1/2 BAH for doing courses online.

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
Lolhahaha (or anyone else)
Just wondering if ya made it and tried using the GI Bill for school?  Based on what I read I do not see why it would not work, but the actuallity of an event is often very different than reading about it!
Jeff
Jeff

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog