Author Topic: DOD  (Read 1176 times)

Offline LastUnicorn

DOD
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
I retired from DOD AAFES in 2010 they "transferred" me here as my home base . Just wondering where I can get info to see if I'm allowed to use Vet. services over here .

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: DOD
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:28:13 PM »
What does that mean you were transferred here as your home base? What benefits did you receive as here was your home base? When you mentioned Vet services, do you mean you have a VA disability Compensation besides your DOD AAFES retirement? What AAFES and or which service with the DOD? I'm retired USAFR/Civil Service combined and with a 20% VA Comp, but I have never used the VA clinic in Manila, just my coverage using TRICARE from my military medical health care benefits.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:56:53 PM »
Yeah, that is all pretty vague as to what he is asking about.  The retired and transferred to here as home base will be interesting.  I retired DoD and moved to here within a few months and the move cost me big bucks without a whole lot for me to even deal with.  Besides that, I think AAFES is non-appropriated funding like NEX rather than appropriated.  Maybe they get something special we don't know about.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
I retired from DOD AAFES in 2010 they "transferred" me here as my home base . Just wondering where I can get info to see if I'm allowed to use Vet. services over here .

Hi LastUnicorn, I'm not so familiar with the VA office here but I filed paperwork on conditions and they sent me an answer from Manila here's the location I found on the Internet.   http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=682

It has phone numbers and contact information.  If you were using Vet services stateside I don't see you couldn't use them here, many do, good luck, hopefully others will comment.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »
I guess that is egg in my face for not knowing what I was talking about.  I figured out now that when he mentioned "home base" he must have been referring to something the VA calls where you guys are considered living.  I was thinking it was paying his way home like they do when you get off of active duty.  Since I only qualified for school benefits and VA guarantee on home loan, I don't know anything about any of all that other VA stuff so I shouldn't have even commented especially with a stupid comment.

Sorry about that Last Unicorn.
Whatever floats your boat.

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:29:46 AM »
I'm certain when "home base" was mentioned, it's the same as "home of records", one's home state which designates where one joined and first entered military service of any branch. It has nothing to do with the VA, because VA records can be transferred to one's nearest place of residence before and or after military retirement.
When one retires from the military, he or she is given extra pay and allowances back home to their "home of record" no matter one is assigned overseas or stateside. The benefits includes travel pay from where one was last stationed to their "home record, the shipment of one's entire household items up to 7,000 lbs and maybe one vehicle, which I'm uncertain of depending on the country.

http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2015/02/27/residence-vs-home-record/

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/militarylaw1/a/homeofrecord.htm

http://ec.militarytimes.com/benefits-handbook/pay-benefits/other-allowances/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:40:07 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »
When you reenlist, separate or retire you are entitled to travel pay to your home of record or place of last enlistment/entry on active duty.  The individual normally chooses the one worth the most money.  To collect on retirement you need to file a final travel voucher. 
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
Just a quick question, Retired from DOD...as a civilian? GS, WG? 
OR
Retired from branch of military and went to work for DOD and retired again?
OR
Served in the military, didnt retire and went to work for DOD
AAFES = Army, Air Force Exchange System?
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 02:58:16 PM »
I forgot what AFFES stood for = Army, Air Force Exchange System. Now I remember!
The BXs for the USAF, PXs for the Army/Marines and Navy Exchanges for the Navy/Coast Guards.
I used to be a Civil Service DOD GS-9 pencil pusher and a WG-10/E-6 Technical Sargent aircraft mechanic with the Air Force. Retirement benefits were great up to this day including all the COLAs over the years. I retired at the age of 49 in 1997 and have lived in the Philippines since 1998 to date, with just a few short vacations outside of the Philippines.
I'm known as a "Quadruple Dipper" Pensioner (all earned entitlements, no freebies) after 30 years of combined civil service and military duty! 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:24:15 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog