Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
So while Smart has cut back on the availability of unlimited, it seems Globe is a lot smarter than Smart by giving people what they want, I am going to switch over and try them soon to give them a try but even they seem to limit speed once over 800 MB a day :( the days of truly unlimited in the Philippines is over for anyone who was not grandfathered in with a home plan, although my friend has a Globe home plan and he says it goes off all the time, so I guess in that way they are limiting him too.
http://pinoytechsaga.blogspot.com/2017/10/list-of-globe-and-tm-supersurf-unli-internet-promos.html
Globe Prepaid and Republika ng TM offer unlimited internet access to their subscribers with SuperSurf promos.
Meet Your Neighbors / Re: Forum meet up
« Last post by Lee2 on Today at 12:32:41 AM »
Well we are back in Cebu, should anyone from the forum member or visitor wish to meet up for coffee or just general bs, that's right Lee2 or sometimes referred to as Lee number 2 by those who may not like me lol is in Cebu.

There is an expat group here in Cebu named the Cebu Expat Group and they have monthly get togethers, so as an example, on the 26th and 27th they will have a meet up at the Marco Polo Hotel and members get a decent price to eat out there.
Cost:  50% off buffet is P880 Net. One beverage (Soft drink/Wine/Juice) and coffee/house tea are included with the price, just as an example, so it gives expats and tourists a chance to go out to nice places and save a bunch of money on costs, so if you are in or on Cebu, feel free to let me know privately and I can tell you how to contact them, they already have lots of members, Monday the 26 is fully booked with over 100 going to dinner and so far Tuesday is still available.
I had been told many times over the years that doing this was not possible, even as late as last trip over in 2017 when I went to the Smart office in Ayala, since I always roam with my number when we leave the Philippines and up until last year it supposedly was not possible to roam with an LTE number, so I thought I would let you all know that it is possible to get a new multiicut LTE prepaid sim card for your old phone number and you also will be able to roam with it, I wish they would have done this for me last year, then I would not have had to change phone numbers from my old Smart number. If anyone wants my new number send me a private message.

Also last year I bought a new Smart Buddy LTE sim, it came with an old number issued around 20 plus years ago. My wife has a sim around 20 plus years old, Smart was surprised to see anyone with a sim that old, it was close to one of the first ones issued by Smart, I joked with them that we should win a price since the sim is an antique lol, well the sim I bought last year has the same first 5 digits as hers, and the number I got is even older than hers is, based on the number itself, so Smart is now reissuing older phone numbers.
Nila and I went to Smart in SM Seaside with our original card that our old full size sims came in and they replaced both of ours for free with new multicut LTE sim cards that work great. The only hang up was that it took hours for the new cards to come online, so do not do it if you might be expecting a call or text.

Also, available from Globe.  I did it a few years ago (when the iPhone 6 came out).  By their non-reaction at the local Globe office it seemed like a normal request for them.  But if I remember correctly I had to go back the next day to pick up my smaller sim.
Cellphones, communication in general / Prepaid Sim card exchange now available from Smsrt
« Last post by Lee2 on February 19, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
Nila and I went to Smart in SM Seaside with our original card that our old full size sims came in and they replaced both of ours for free with new multicut LTE sim cards that work great. The only hang up was that it took hours for the new cards to come online, so do not do it if you might be expecting a call or text.
Meet Your Neighbors / Re: Introduction-Permanent Resident
« Last post by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am on February 19, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
Sort of straying off topic, but If I only had $300 a month to live on, I would prefer to be on my own living in the U.S. out on the streets or out in country side with only my ATM card, back pack, tent and sleeping bag and visit soup kitchens where available. I'll have to do without a cellphone and or health insurance since it would not be in my budget, even though I'm a Veteran. TRICARE and the VA aren't free! I would eventually die from a serious illness, penniless at my old age and alone.
Luckily that would never happen to me now, because I'm well off to date with an adequate income. This is just my worst case scenario living on $300 a month, let alone in the Philippines like the locals do.
Great news that Ayala appears to be making a prompt recovery after the fire. It could've turned out a lot worse.
Lodging: Finding A Place to Stay "for a while" / Re: LIVING IN A CONDO
« Last post by Bisaya gyud on February 19, 2018, 01:28:05 PM »
My Philippine condo experience hasn't been bad at all. I bought a brand new budget/economy priced studio that cost a little over 50,000 PHP per sqm.

Construction/finish quality was fully acceptable for a unit in that price range. On-site management is competent.

Monthly condo fee is only 1000 PHP.  The site is completely walled/gated, with 24/7 security guards at the entrance gate and the elevator area of my building, as well as a roving guard after dark.

Buildings and grounds are kept pretty clean and neat. No garbage chutes/areas inside the building, there's an outside dumpster area for trash.

Free first-come, first serve parking. There are always at least a few unoccupied spaces available.

No problems whatsoever with insects, rodents, geckos etcetera. Have never seen any rodents and geckos. Virtually never see any insects, the very few I see get up to my floor via the elevator. I've never seen any come through the window.

My high-rise building isn't far from the ocean and my floor is near the top, thus I get a nice breeze year around, so no air-conditioner needed. Just a ceiling fan.

Water pressure in the sinks, toilet and shower are quite good. The building has its own filtration system, so the water is safe to drink, though not the tastiest/refreshing.

All things considered, I've got no major complaints regarding my condo.

« Last post by UNGGOY on February 19, 2018, 11:40:40 AM »
I am going to guess he is paying p2,000 a month rent.

I second the wow on living so inexpensively, for $300 a month one would have to basically live like a local, with some western extras tossed in, such as we have sky cable basic for p299 a month.
And we are in Metro Manila. "So expensive". $300 a month is richer than 99% of the people I know. But it can sometimes be challenging being a Westerner. I have always admired the Spartan life though. And the wife is a hut-dweller. I am more or less like a local. Middle-class. Lower-middle. Not sure how the classes work. There are rich bastards and there are skwaters. I'm somewhere above skwater. Ha ha. 2,000 rent. No Sky. I can't pay 300 a month for cable. But I did get a good antenna and invested in a fancy 4 meter pipe. So that is already nicer than most of my neighbors.

People say to always send your wife to do business. Everyone must be married to business women! My wife does not know a thing about business. She is from a bamboo hut. I do all the business myself. House-hunting, deals in the palengke. I do far better than her. One of the biggest things I am trying to work on now is finding real-estate agents to take my Pag-IBIG, becasue they are racist. If you look on their site, they are selling foreclosed properties super cheap. We'll see. 
« Last post by UNGGOY on February 19, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
Wow!  18 on 300 bucks a month?  If that is doable, just a few on 300 bucks a month should be easy.  I am interested in checking in to that further.  You have any pics of surroundings and/or way of life?  Or elaborate on it?  By the way, what is it you are tired of dishing out p2,000 a month to someone else on?
Since I work, I have to live in Manila. So...it's metro. Nothing special. I live on the edge of MM, so it is not quite as congested, and close to province. But still close to jobs.

Yeah, the trick is being local. I actually find that interesting. Every nation I have lived in, foreigners try to become like the locals. But here, probably a majority try to live like they are still in the West. I suppose if you have the money. But it's more fun when you get down to the nitty-gritty. Sleep on the floor, eat rice seasoned with ants, never use toilet paper. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of balut or bidyoke. So I have not gone full native.

I never came to the Philippines for the chicks(not judging), I came for the simple life. As complicated as it can be, it is still simple in other ways. If I can find a good job or an idea for a business, I would love to go to the provinces. So long as there is a hospital and a mall, you have all you need to survive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog