Author Topic: Windows 10 to take longer to reach billion-device goal  (Read 1960 times)

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Windows 10 to take longer to reach billion-device goal
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
I am not currently using Ubuntu as I gave the computer it was loaded on to my daughter. However I did use it for a several years and was completely satisfied. There is also Mint OS which I have played around with and is quite nice. Like anything else new there is a slight learning curve getting use to how things work in each, but what is really nice there is a huge following for both products and many forums.  Rest assured any questions you might have about either product are easy to find answers to plus the latest tweaks to get the best performance. Both OS come with their own Antivirus/Malware protection and Linux based open source is less likely to be hit with virus's because of the platform it's design on. Just do a simple google on Mint OS or Ubuntu OS read about them. I think you will be impressed.

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 09:00:28 PM »
So what are the pros and cons between Mint OS, Ubuntu OS, Bill (rich) Gates OS, Mac OS or other Operating Systems? which is better? Or worse?

Cheers, Steve

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »
Steve, I suppose the best answer is what you like. My preference is OS programs like Mint, Ubuntu don't come with a lot of bloatware built in, they're pretty simple interfaces and mostly you can basically change them to look and do what you want since they are open source. Secondly the ones I have work with are completely free which is a big deal for people on a budget and they are for the most part virus and malware free. I won't say that they are immune to virus's but they are less prone than MS. There are some cons associated if you are a big gamer, some of the big name games are not compatible but that doesn't affect me. I'm a flight simmer and the simulator I have does have a Linux version. One thing that people should consider is why do a large portion of large corporations rely upon Linux based servers to run their companies, simply because they are reliable. If you have a computer background and are comfortable with changing code you can actually go in and change the settings freely to serve what ever purpose you want, if not you can use them as they come. For me it's more about getting a more secure system that is lightweight in size compared to MS and I'm not paying Bill Gates to spy on me.   

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »
Thanks for the info Medic.

Cheers, Steve

Offline nmyjeff

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »
Windows 10 is a good choice over win 7. It performs better on new devices.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 01:30:25 AM »
My opinion is that 7 is a good choice over 10 or 8 for that matter and no doubt over, again in my opinion, that crapping Vista.  Too bad support for 7 won't be around as long yet as support for 10.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 01:33:16 AM »
I'm sticking with 7 until they stop supporting it.
Then I will go with a Linux based OS like Ubuntu or Mint.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline nmyjeff

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
Another reason to switch your operating system to Linux based like Ubuntu or similar which are free. Most games these days are compatible or have an emulator that acts like Windows and allows them to play. The new stable releases of Ubuntu looks and act just like Windows for the most part with minimal learning curve and it can even do help like password reset as this post says. I haven't used or paid for MS Office in years or most of the other products that MS tries to force you to purchase. I use Libre Office 5 which looks and acts just like MS Office and is completely free plus it allows you to convert your work from or to MS Office format with ease. Next computer I get will not have MS operating system installed, I will install all open source products for free, I'm tired of making Bill Gates richer than he already is.

Linux is not good for gaming. The performance is much lower than Windows version and have compatible issues with major release. However, Linux is great for programming.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog