Author Topic: Driving from Manila to Davao  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Driving from Manila to Davao
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »
Two things I would do if I was to buy a new vehicle and drive that long trip, both these ideas are about safety and protection.

Before leaving Manila I would have the windows of the truck heavily tinted. That’s not a fashion statement it’s a safety issue. As you’re driving thru an area if everyone can easily see you, anyone that is up to no good can evaluate what amount of risk you pose if they decide to rob you or to do whatever. If the windows are tinted to the point they can’t see who is inside, it’s impossible to assess the risk they’re taking in attacking the unknown occupants of the vehicle. They have no way of knowing if the truck is full of heavily armed PNP or some easy target. Predators don’t like attacking when they can’t evaluate the risk.

Heavily tinted window on vehicles is very common in the Philippines; anyone that can afford it will have it done.

The other thing is I would install a dash cam, I’ve had one on my Jeep for almost two years now and for me it’s a must have. I’ve had a couple of near misses that with just a split second difference in time would have resulted in serious accidents. In both cases there could have been a dispute as to who was at fault but with the video evidence there would be no dispute. In both cases the other guy ran the red light and I have a copy of the video on my computer. Having absolute proof of what happens is to me priceless and if I was to do any driving in the Philippines I would for sure have a dash cam everywhere I went.
Both great ideas from what I have seen and done while traveling parts of the Philippines but especially during our trips from Cagayan de Oro to Davao down in Mindanao.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »
David,
My wife and I are hoping to move at about the end of July, so the trip will be hopefully sometime soon after that, it all depends on what vehicle I decide on, but from what I have seen and looked at, the prices in Manila are definitely a big saving on the provinces.  Even looking at the costs on the flights to Davao, it's cheaper to drive.

Robert

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 04:05:14 AM »
I'm really not too fazed about the journey in respect of the distance, driving etc.  I am only concerned about our personal safety as far as being attacked, robbed, bandits etc.
Surely someone on here has done a decent road trip......??

I've never done an inter-island trip but we did drive from Manila to Aparri, on the northern coast of Luzon. On the map it's only about 375 miles. It took us roughly 16 hours to make the trip. Once outside Manila, the roads were pretty decent, two-lane highways with not much traffic, until we got close to the towns along the way. They were all clogged with traffic and added hours to the overall trip. If we could have driven straight through without being slowed down to a crawl in each town along the way, the trip would probably have taken us only 8-9 hours. But in spite of the issues it was a decent road trip, one I'll do again.

Php50,000 is a pretty good incentive to purchase in Manila. I agree it would be a good idea to check with the dealer in Davao to see if they will honor your warranty. I see no reason why not, but you know what they say. Only in the Philippines!  :)

Plan the trip carefully, making sure to check for fuel stops along the way. We basically stopped every 3-4 hours to refuel just to make sure we didn't have issues in the middle of nowhere. Enjoy!  :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »
Just a heads up in case you get involved in a traffic accident you will likely be charged with Reckless Imprudence

I would suggest the first accessory you buy for your Ranger is a dash cam because if your driving and non-Filipino your the one usually at fault

Definition

Reckless imprudence, as defined in Article 36540 of the RPC, consists in voluntarily, but without malice, doing or failing to do an act from which material damage results by reason of inexcusable lack of precaution on the part of the person performing or failing to perform such act, taking into consideration his employment or occupation, degree of intelligence, physical condition and other circumstances regarding persons, time and place.

In order to establish a motorist’s liability for the negligent operation of a vehicle, it must be shown that there was a direct causal connection between such negligence and the injuries or damages complained of. To constitute the offense of reckless driving, the act must be something more than a mere negligence in the operation of a motor vehicle – a willful and wanton disregard of the consequences is required.41 Willful, wanton or reckless disregard for the safety of others within the meaning of reckless driving statutes has been held to involve a conscious choice of a course of action which injures another, either with knowledge of serious danger to others involved, or with knowledge of facts which would disclose the danger to any reasonable person. Verily, it is the inexcusable lack of precaution or conscious indifference to the consequences of the conduct which supplies the criminal intent and brings an act of mere negligence and imprudence under the operation of the penal law, without regard to whether the private offended party may himself be considered likewise at fault.42chanRoblesvirtualLawlibrary

http://www.chanrobles.com/cralaw/2015januarydecisions.php?id=65

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 09:11:34 AM »
Just a heads up in case you get involved in a traffic accident you will likely be charged with Reckless Imprudence

I would suggest the first accessory you buy for your Ranger is a dash cam because if your driving and non-Filipino your the one usually at fault

http://www.chanrobles.com/cralaw/2015januarydecisions.php?id=65

The thing is if you get into any kind of “encounter, accident” it will be your word against a dozen or more “witnesses” that are almost certainly friends or family of the other person that you had an accident with. You don’t stand much of a chance in that situation. Also it is common in the Philippines, or I should say a very strong preference to place the blame on the “rich” party, the one most likely to have the resources to “fix the problem”.

The video evidence of a dash cam totally negates any witness with an opposing testimony.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:19:38 AM by hitekcountry »

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 10:51:43 PM »
So, to my question, what are your thoughts about driving from Manila to Davao?
Anybody done this journey, or any other long distance driving?
My asawa is worried about all sorts of safety issues, bandits etc.,  Is she right to be worried, is this a crazy idea?

Hello David690,

You are a man after my own heart. My asawa & I have been planning the same trip, but due to other events have not made the journey as yet. We bought our car, a Honda Fit/Jazz, in Davao. We drove across Mindanao, on the eastern highway, to CDO. Along the way, we stopped in to see the family in the hills, about 3+ hours south of Butuan. The eastern highway from Davao to Butuan & CDO, are in good condition, not much traffic, except in the towns.

Along this way, there was one fellow, nicely dressed, who walked out to the edge of the highway, trying to flag us to stop. NOPE, just kept the foot down and moved on. He did realise, just after this happened, that there were a few fellows, on the side of the road, about a kilometer before this, maybe they were spotters. My car has dark tinting, except the windshield. Now that has a big dark tint strip, about 9 inches, at the top of the windshield. Friends locally, cannot see into our car, therefore the suggestion to dark tint the car, will be very useful.

We live in Subic, north of Manila. From here, we have driven north, to the tip top of Luzon, gone south, via Manila to Batangas, used the ferry to cross to Mindoro. We drove around Mindoro easily, with only traffic in towns, with good roads most of the way.

I note that you intend to travel from San Ricardo to Surigao by ferry. As my asawa's family are from this region and work all over the province, we have been reliably informed on the NPA & other dissident groups in this region. Just be aware, I have been to the province a dozen times and drank with some of the nicer people from the NPA & others, without any real fear, as the family "seriously" take care of me, when we visit. Only once have I been hidden, as the bad elements from the NPA & others, were about to move thru our area. Over the last few months, there has been many bad incidents, going from Surigao down to Trento. (look these up on the maps please) My advice would be to ferry from maybe Maasin to Butuan/CDO or San Ricardo to CDO/Butuan. If you end up landing in CDO, drive east to Butuan, then take the eastern highway. There are less concerns on this route. The middle highway CDO - Davao, takes you thru Bukidnon, in recent times, that is not a wise move. As for the western highway, just a NO GO ZONE.

Seriously, I envy you guys and I will be looking forward to hearing more, just so I can add info to my research list for a similiar journey. I wish you all success and enjoyment for the trip. Making this journey over 2 weeks, may actually be underestimating the time, with all the things you may want to stop and investigate more. Our trip was to travel over 4-6 weeks.

I know there are many more things I want to say, but so little time LOL. Enjoy & tell us more later, PLEASE.

ABC

Footnote: Philtranco, is a local bus company that goes from Manila to Davao, a 3 day journey, using 2 ferries. One leaving Luzon going to Samar, then from Maasin Leyte, to Mindanao. If they can do it, I know you and soon, us, can make a similiar journey.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 12:37:23 AM »
Hello David690,

You are a man after my own heart. My asawa & I have been planning the same trip, but due to other events have not made the journey as yet. We bought our car, a Honda Fit/Jazz, in Davao. We drove across Mindanao, on the eastern highway, to CDO. Along the way, we stopped in to see the family in the hills, about 3+ hours south of Butuan. The eastern highway from Davao to Butuan & CDO, are in good condition, not much traffic, except in the towns.

Along this way, there was one fellow, nicely dressed, who walked out to the edge of the highway, trying to flag us to stop. NOPE, just kept the foot down and moved on. He did realise, just after this happened, that there were a few fellows, on the side of the road, about a kilometer before this, maybe they were spotters. My car has dark tinting, except the windshield. Now that has a big dark tint strip, about 9 inches, at the top of the windshield. Friends locally, cannot see into our car, therefore the suggestion to dark tint the car, will be very useful.

We live in Subic, north of Manila. From here, we have driven north, to the tip top of Luzon, gone south, via Manila to Batangas, used the ferry to cross to Mindoro. We drove around Mindoro easily, with only traffic in towns, with good roads most of the way.

I note that you intend to travel from San Ricardo to Surigao by ferry. As my asawa's family are from this region and work all over the province, we have been reliably informed on the NPA & other dissident groups in this region. Just be aware, I have been to the province a dozen times and drank with some of the nicer people from the NPA & others, without any real fear, as the family "seriously" take care of me, when we visit. Only once have I been hidden, as the bad elements from the NPA & others, were about to move thru our area. Over the last few months, there has been many bad incidents, going from Surigao down to Trento. (look these up on the maps please) My advice would be to ferry from maybe Maasin to Butuan/CDO or San Ricardo to CDO/Butuan. If you end up landing in CDO, drive east to Butuan, then take the eastern highway. There are less concerns on this route. The middle highway CDO - Davao, takes you thru Bukidnon, in recent times, that is not a wise move. As for the western highway, just a NO GO ZONE.

Seriously, I envy you guys and I will be looking forward to hearing more, just so I can add info to my research list for a similiar journey. I wish you all success and enjoyment for the trip. Making this journey over 2 weeks, may actually be underestimating the time, with all the things you may want to stop and investigate more. Our trip was to travel over 4-6 weeks.

I know there are many more things I want to say, but so little time LOL. Enjoy & tell us more later, PLEASE.

ABC

Footnote: Philtranco, is a local bus company that goes from Manila to Davao, a 3 day journey, using 2 ferries. One leaving Luzon going to Samar, then from Maasin Leyte, to Mindanao. If they can do it, I know you and soon, us, can make a similiar journey.

Hi ABC
Many thanks for your positive and enthusiastic post.
All of your points are well noted and I will certainly take everything on board when we get around to making the trip.
At the moment I am waiting to hear back from Ford dealers to see what offers are available.
For sure when we make the trip, I will publish a full blog on the adventure.
Cheers
David
Londoner at heart

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »
Hello David690,

You did not mention, but I hope you are not wearing in (the motor), the new car, as part of this trip. For me, I suggest it would not be a good idea. Wear in the motor prior to starting the travel. This will give the vehicle some time, for the bugs, if there are any, to be sorted out, giving less problems along the journey.

Again, I wish to hear about the trip and also wish I was travelling with you. In our own car hehehe. We are not ready to start that trip just yet. Got many things on our plate at the moment, maybe next year will be good for us.

ABC

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »
UPDATE.......

Just completed the drive from Manila to Davao.  Picked up my Ford Ranger Wildtrak from the dealer in Global City last Friday evening and set off Saturday morning.  We arrived home in Davao last night, so 5 days and 1,750km.  Could have done it quicker but wanted to enjoy the drive and take in site seeing along the route.
It went absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever.
Londoner at heart

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 11:51:12 PM »
UPDATE.......

Just completed the drive from Manila to Davao.  Picked up my Ford Ranger Wildtrak from the dealer in Global City last Friday evening and set off Saturday morning.  We arrived home in Davao last night, so 5 days and 1,750km.  Could have done it quicker but wanted to enjoy the drive and take in site seeing along the route.
It went absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever.
Congratulations on your new truck and thanks for the update, nice to hear when things go smoothly.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
Wow....that might be fun...or could be a nightmare...that's a long way to go and kinda expensive on the transportation costs....I would check with the ferry companies and see how much they would charge to transport the truck first...then see if it is worth the trip...I would not have it in my bones to island hop and drive from Manila to Davao...there are just too many variables on a trip like that....I would plan it if I could get it a LOT cheaper in Manila I would take it by ferry from Manila to Davao straight shot if possible....if you drive it...you "new" truck ain't gonna be so new when you get it home...haha! Just my two cents...

Why would you feel that putting 1,750km on a new 3.2l diesel 4x4 pickup would be an issue? It's only a months work of normal commuting to the office back home.  It's nothing.  Would I make trip in a small compact car? No I probably wouldn't.
What are the variables that you are concerned with?  The only unscheduled issue we had was that one of the ferries was scheduled to depart at 06:00 and in fact it left at 08:00 am.  No big deal.  Life is all about variables and managing them.
As it turned out the drive was a doddle.  When we arrived, it would not have fazed me to make the return trip straight away.  The roads were very variable, some places pretty good, others with pretty bad surfaces, with lots of breaking up, detours etc.  Just need to slow down accordingly.  One place we visited Tinuy-an Falls required driving 13km of off-road tracks, with lots of deep mud and ruts, requiring 4x4, but apart from the car picking up about 100kg of mud, no problem!  All washed off with a 2hour visit to the carwash once we arrived Davao.  Some of the hotels we stayed at are a bit basic, but sufficient.  On the road by 6am each day and tried to arrive at our next overnight stop before dark.  Didn't work out that way a couple of times and was still on the road after dark.  Good lights on the car, so again no issues.  Made 2 fuel stops but could have gotten by with a single stop just, but played it safe by making 2.  Saw of lot of the country by making this road trip and having completed it, I can honestly say that I am very happy I chose to make Davao, Mindanao my home.
Londoner at heart

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 11:32:21 PM »
David,

Glad you were pretty much trouble free. We still plan our long drive, with a similiar route, but until we start driving each day, that will decide, where and when we will stop. But here in the Phils, we won't drive at night, we will simply stop, sleep, rest, even stay more than overnight.  On all of our trips, up and down the country, so far, we play it all by ear. Stop when we see something we didn't expect, get out of the car, swim or various site-seeing things. We usually have the end destination, but what happens in the middle, is where all the fun really is.

ABC

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 05:52:15 AM »
All I can say ABC, is go for it, truly, it is an adventure. At no time did I feel stressed out or concerned at anything.  Everywhere we went, and stopped, we found only helpful friendly people.
It was my birthday during the trip, found myself celebrating it in a karaoke bar in our overnight stop hotel till about 1 in the morning with around 20 Pinoys doing their best to murder western songs, brilliant.  Other nights, all tucked up by midnight and up at 5am for an early start.
The ferries are easy enough and added an interesting break to the driving. Total cost of the 2 ferries for the pickup and 4 pax approx P5,000.  Fuel costs less than P6,000. 
The Wildtrak never missed a beat and was a beast hauling ass passing slow moving trucks up some of the steep hills, having said that overall average speed was quite low as a result of road and traffic conditions.  I saw 100 kph on the clock a few times but mostly top speed was no more than 80.  Average fuel consumption 9.3 l/100km, pretty good for 3.2l truck.
Total distance driven 1,750 km, but that included quite a few detours for sight seeing.  Without those, I guess it would have been closer to 1,500 km.
Londoner at heart

Offline AggieExPat

• Born in Chicago and Raised in Texas...
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 03:39:43 PM »
I have a 3.2 L Wildtrack as well.  I love the truck, got it in September and have not broken 4K Kilometers yet.   I envy your trip. 

Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
I have a 3.2 L Wildtrack as well.  I love the truck, got it in September and have not broken 4K Kilometers yet.   I envy your trip.

Hi Javi
Yes its an awesome truck, absolutely love mine too.
After Xmas we will be headed off on our next adventure.  Spending 3 days at a beach resort down in Gumasa, about 200km from our place.
Londoner at heart

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog