Author Topic: House of apartment, which is better for your needs?  (Read 274 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
House of apartment, which is better for your needs?
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:29:10 AM »
I suspect most people on this forum live in houses, whether renting or owning, so I thought I would get some input as to why people prefer a house or an apartment?

In our situation, as I get older, I am 69 now, I no longer wish to do the things that are necessary to upkeep a home and I find that there is a lot less worries for me and my wife when living in an apartment/condo. During storms I only had to worry about if the sliding glass doors would hold up, no worries if anything else might be damaged, be it the roof or screened enclosure or trees being blown down and never a worry of flooding. So why do you guys and gals like what you live in? Keep in mind what we post is not only for us members but it also helps readers of the forum.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Re: House of apartment, which is better for your needs?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:57:10 AM »
I had never lived in anything but a house until about 7 years ago when I separated from my ex.  I walked away from a fortune, literally, but considered it worth it to get out of a very unhappy marriage.  My last house in Dubai was 5 bedroom and 4,500 sq.ft. I moved into a 1 bed apartment, which felt pretty small at 1,000 sq.ft.  I have lived in apartments here since then, but there was never any doubt in my mind that when I moved to Philippines it would be back into a house.  In this case a house that I had built to my design.

Reasons are the same as for most people I guess.  More space, spare bedrooms for family visits or guests staying over, a garden to spend time and enjoy the outdoors, gardening and growing a few fruit trees and vegetables, BBQ's, a place to park the cars and motorcycle where I can work on them if required, the feeling that I can truly do what I want in the way of upgrading, or expanding it.  No noisy neighbors slamming doors, or kids playing in the corridors, or keeping me awake at night with their shouting or loud TV coming through the adjoining walls.  The freedom to have pets, in our case a Siberian Husky.  Probably other reasons, but I think these are the main ones.
Londoner at heart

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »
Wow. I can so relate to David690. Was making very good money and got screwed big time. However I have know realized living much smaller is better and more productive. I'm happier now now than I was for 25 years.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:13:18 PM »
Wow. I can so relate to David690. Was making very good money and got screwed big time. However I have know realized living much smaller is better and more productive. I'm happier now now than I was for 25 years.

Same here @medic3500, never happier and I'm sure we will be even happier when we move across to Philippines full time in just over a month.  In my case money definitely didn't buy happiness.
Londoner at heart

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:59 PM »
Same here @medic3500, never happier and I'm sure we will be even happier when we move across to Philippines full time in just over a month.  In my case money definitely didn't buy happiness.
I agree,  If I thought money would buy happiness I would not go the the Philippines,  as I can earn/create much more outside of the Philippines.  Your probably going to have a great time going forward.  You have enough courage to give it a try :)  I will be interested about how it goes and what issues you come across As I might have some of the same. 
“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:54:48 AM »
I agree,  If I thought money would buy happiness I would not go the the Philippines,  as I can earn/create much more outside of the Philippines.  Your probably going to have a great time going forward.  You have enough courage to give it a try :)  I will be interested about how it goes and what issues you come across As I might have some of the same.

I hope so @Fastwalk, I will share my experiences going forward.  Best wishes.
Londoner at heart

Offline AggieExPat

• Born in Chicago and Raised in Texas...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
My wife and I were having this dilemma as well.  So far, it has come down to location, money and neighbors.

Currently, building a business in the province of Iloilo and all the current condos are in the city.  We have bought two lots in two different subdivisions close to our businesses.

For the same amount of money to purchase a decent condo, we can pretty much build a dream house in these lots.

In a condo, we can not necessarily predict or pick our neighbors, especially with the amount of people, noise and cooking smells to say the least while in these subdivisions we only worry about who is behind us and tho the sides, but with space to spare and the luxury of building a perimeter wall.

Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »
In a condo, we can not necessarily predict or pick our neighbors,
In a home or condo we cannot predict or pick our neighbors, yet in a condo there are rules that need to be followed and I have found that most time, one quick and nice complaint to the person causing the problems usually solves the problem and if not then a call to the manager or staff will.

My wife and I have lived in houses in Florida and in one house we could not even use our backyard most of the time because the next door neighbors had two big dobermans and all they did was bark whenever we were outside, that was a pain and that neighbor refused to control their dogs, on top of that the dogs went to the bathroom in their yard and the neighbor never cleaned it up, so again, we could not use our yard even when the dogs were inside if the wind was blowing in our direction. 

In the Philippines we had stayed in family members homes where neighbors burned garbage, had roosters who made noise all night, let their dogs run free and cooked terrible smelling foods or whatever and on top of that there were rats, mice and lizards walking around at night and on the roof, just to name some issues, so at no time could I or would I wish to live in those areas and that turned me off from owning a home in the Philippines. No place is perfect, all we can do is hope for the best and try to work with our neighbors the best we can but when you have pigs for neighbors in a home or condo then pests might end up a problem, thankfully we have never had rats, mice or lizards in our condo but have had insects, especially ants that we needed to keep under control.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 03:35:25 AM »
I need a house.
RUFUS likes to rock!

SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »
Lol! I've often thought about mounting speakers on the roof capable of being "aimed" towards noisy Karaoke parties. I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of old rock 'n roll, country, R&B even classical music that I could load onto a playlist with as many selections as I choose and crank up the volume enough to make ears bleed for a kilometer. I haven't done it yet because I try to be a good neighbor, but...  ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:13 AM »
Reading some of these stories makes me glad we live in the middle of 50 acres, with the ocean on one side and the nearest neighbor about a mile away.

Before coming here we rented a condo in downtown Vancouver.  120 units in a 20-storey building.  We lived on the 12th floor.  We sometimes took the stairs, but if carrying much, we did not.  I never liked having to wait for an elevator just to step outside. 

I also never liked the need to make small talk to those waiting for the elevator with you or riding in same.  Not that I am all that anti-social, but sometimes one just wants to be alone with one’s thoughts.

As well, part of the lobby/elevator experience invited unwanted comments about what one is doing, such as “Oh, I see somebody has been shopping, blah, blah, blah.”  Or they look into your grocery bag and make comments about what you have purchased, sometimes passing judgment about your diet.

When our son was very young, we had a stroller for him.  So one day we got on the elevator with him in his stroller.  A woman who we often saw in the building decided to comment to the effect:  “What?  He still rides a stroller?  He should be walking by now when you go out!”  A rebuke against our parenting.  We would then feel constrained to explain that we are walking to Chinatown to do some shopping, we will cover about 5 miles and that’s quite a bit of walking for a 3-year-old.  So yes, he’ll walk part of the time and be in his stroller part of the time.  Now kindly f.o. and mind your own business.

When we lived in the Phils we lived most of the time in a gated village in Quezon City.  Most of the houses shared at least one common wall.  Better than most condos or apartments, but still not much privacy.  Most of the lots (if you could call them that), were really dinky.  I think ours was about 120 square meters. There were a handful of lots much, much larger, with mansions on them, but that was not the norm.

The day might come when I cannot manage to look after a house and grounds.  I see quite a few who sell their houses in favor of getting a condo or apartment in their later years.  I’ll postpone as long as I can.  My parents managed to postpone to about age 95.  I am trying for the same.

Another thing about condos is you can get stuck with major unexpected repair bills.  Vancouver is famous for its “leaky condos”.  Many have had to undergo total “building envelope” repairs.  Not at all uncommon for every owner to get hit with a “special levy” of $40,000 or so for their share.  In the condo we rented, the parking lot consisted of 2 floors underground.  It started to leak.  The whole thing had to be excavated and rebuilt.  Our landlord was assessed about $14,000 for her share.  That was the equivalent to about a whole year’s rent we were paying.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 04:34:13 AM »
Yes there are certainly some downsides to owning a condo and especially if a person does not pick well, in our case it seems only adults live in our Florida condo building with an occasional visitor or family member who are younger. Lately we have been getting a younger crowd, ladies in bikinis by the pool, when we had not seen much of that for the first 4 years here, and unfortunately they do allow small dogs, so far we have been lucky with none anywhere near us but I do hear some from the other end of our floor who bark when we are near the elevator if we are talking. :(

As for our Philippine condo, mostly adults on our floor but we had seen some children living in one unit, yet no noise at all from them and no dogs, so, so far I guess we have been lucky but of course we do not live full time in our Philippine condo, so possibly we miss some issues. Rarely does anyone try to talk to us other than a casual hello in Florida or Cebu so I guess we are lucky that way, we do smile, nod and say hello but I do my best to not get into conversations and I hardly ever go to the monthly meetings and never go to the parties, I guess while I am social when out and about, I do not wish to get friendly with neighbors because of a bad experience years ago, and besides that, we have more than enough friends outside of our buildings that we do not need to make friends within the buildings.

Condo or apartment life is surely not for everyone, we enjoy it for the most part but I do miss having a garden to grow veggies and I do miss the convenience of pulling into the garage and being within the home in seconds, with our condo it can take 5 minutes from the time we leave until we are on the road :( but at least for us, the good outweighs the bad many times over, I guess I have become lazy in my older years, I worked too hard in my younger years, time for me to kick back and do as little work as possible.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog