Author Topic: Advisory to all Foreigners in the PHL staying over 59 days  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Advisory to all Foreigners in the PHL staying over 59 days
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:59:06 PM »
The below page was posted on facebook.
Is this something new? I thought clearance was not needed until after staying 6 months? Boy I am glad we get to stay each year on the Balikbayan Privilege so I do not have to put up with all the other bs but now since it says "TO ALL FOREIGNERS" I wonder if they will extend that to Balikbayans as well? I hope not!!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:04:42 PM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Advisory to all Foreigners in the PHL staying over 59 days
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
I know all this BS mainly pertains to regular tourists, but Balikbayans are also considered in a tourist status under the BB Program after it expires and one has extended over 6 months, one will have an ACR I-card in hand and a ECC prior to their departure from the Philippines unless they decide to stay longer up to 24 months total via the every 2 or 6 months visa extensions! Balikbayans and regular tourists are on two different playing fields sort of in an about similar way concerning ECCs and ACR I-Cards!
One has to know what the differences are between a regular tourist vs a Balikbayan!
This letter in question mainly pertains to the regular tourist as I understand it and I've been both over the years when my BB stamp has expired, but there is still a difference when one is under the Balikbayan Program and on visa extensions, but sort of similar to tourists also on visa extensions up to their 16 month stay!

I don't understand the letter you posted Lee! Read and explain to me what this memorandum below says.
Looks like a contradiction or misinterpretation here! What does paragraph 12 at the bottom mean?

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=612&Itemid=103

MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. MCL-09-027

IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS (IRR) OF MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. MCL-09-024, DATED 23 NOVEMBER 2009, ENTITLED "ISSUANCE OF ALIEN CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION IDENTITY CARD (ACR-ICARD) TO [1] NON-RESTRICTED FOREIGN NATIONALS GRANTED A TOTAL AUTHORIZED STAY OF FIFTY-NINE DAYS (59) AS TEMPORARY VISITORS UNDER SECTION 9(A) OF COMMONWEALTH ACT NO. 613, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATION ACT OF 1940 AS AMMENDED, AND

11. EMIGRATION CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE (ECC). - Foreign nationals who have been granted a total authorized stay of six (6) months or more shall be required to secure a Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC) from the Bureau of Immigration.

12. EXIT/DEPARTURE FROM THE COUNTRY. - Notwithstanding its validity period, the ACR I-CARD shall not be used as a Re-Entry Permit (RP) or Special Return Certificate (SRC) at the time if arrival and primary inspection at the port of entry for [1] non-restricted foreign nationals who have been granted a total authorized stay of more than fifty-nine (59) days as Temporary Visitor under Section 9(a) of Commonwealth Act No. 613, as ammended
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:53:01 PM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »
Yeah I do not understand it either Art, that was why I posted it, and to warn people staying over 59 days and leaving that the rules seem to have changed. It seems they now want an EC after 59 days instead of 6 months and while I believe BB are not included because it said tourists, the heading says "ALL Foreigners" and technically those of us who come with our wives are technically tourists, so the heading had me a little concerned but it probably should have said except balikbayans even when it was apparently referring to tourists.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:45:14 PM by Gray Wolf »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
They gave me a 6 month tourist visa without the clearance certificate.  It was the spousal visa they wanted it for.  Work visa no need certificate.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
I assume you guys are talking about the one year Balikbayans who avail themselves of the privilege. Not the 13a, I just left and came back for my tourist visa (16 months) and had an ECC but one guy in the line didnt have any idea about it so they pulled him out of the line..cost him 1900 for the on the spot ECC....BTW, my acr card expired last  June and I went to get another one, paid etc. but it is not here yet...boi just told me to carry the receipt to show I had paid for a new one....They are also asking to see the ongoing ticket...I came back through Cebu and its much better than Manila...
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
So now that im on the BB stamp I  wont need a I-card unless the bb stamo exspires and I wont need an ECC clearance to leave the country as long as im still on the BB stamp is this tru?

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:33:44 PM »
That's correct WB, as long you and your wife does a visa run for another BB stamp before the year is up! 
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
That's correct WB, as long you and your wife does a visa run for another BB stamp before the year is up!
well thats great news thanks :)

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
Also you don't have to pay the Philippines Travel Tax when you purchase your airfare to do another visa run!

TRAVEL TAX

Also, you should check out this website to see if anyone in your family are exempt from paying a Travel Tax when one purchases fare fare through a travel agent!

http://www.philippine-embassy.de/bln/images/ConsularSection/OtherServices/pdf/5dFAQ.Travel.Tax.pdf

What is the Philippine Travel Tax and who are required to pay it?
The Philippines levies a travel tax on the following persons who are leaving the
Philippines:
(1) Filipino citizens
(2) Foreigners who are permanently residing or immigrants in the Philippines
(3) Foreigners who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one year.   

Who are exempted from paying the Travel Tax?
Filipino citizens who are permanent residents abroad and Balikbayan visitors,
who have stayed in the Philippines for less than one year (under Sec. 2 (1) of
Executive Order No. 283, which amended P.D. No. 1183, as amended).  Also
exempted are Overseas Filipino Contract Workers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:01:22 PM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »
Also you don't have to pay the Philippines Travel Tax when you purchase your airfare to do another visa run!

TRAVEL TAX

Also, you should check out this website to see if anyone in your family are exempt from paying a Travel Tax when one purchases fare fare through a travel agent!

http://www.philippine-embassy.de/bln/images/ConsularSection/OtherServices/pdf/5dFAQ.Travel.Tax.pdf

What is the Philippine Travel Tax and who are required to pay it?
The Philippines levies a travel tax on the following persons who are leaving the
Philippines:
(1) Filipino citizens
(2) Foreigners who are permanently residing or immigrants in the Philippines
(3) Foreigners who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one year.   

Who are exempted from paying the Travel Tax?
Filipino citizens who are permanent residents abroad and Balikbayan visitors,
who have stayed in the Philippines for less than one year (under Sec. 2 (1) of
Executive Order No. 283, which amended P.D. No. 1183, as amended).  Also
exempted are Overseas Filipino Contract Workers.
Art my wife dont have a permanent residence abroad but they did stamp her passport as BB stamp also so maybe she wont have to pay the 1620 at the airport .just wishing.thanks

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
I just got the first two month extension in Cagayan de Oro. I had to Pay for the I-card at this stage. I got annoyed at the 500 peso "express" extra charge on the Visa and another 500 PHP "express" charge for the Card. I asked when I would get the card - THREE WEEKS. I politely pointed out that is not f***n express!!! But they insisted that is the way they charge here.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog