Author Topic: “Ignorance of the law excuses no one,”  (Read 2354 times)

Offline isis

“Ignorance of the law excuses no one,”
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Just recently, I heard a news about a German national nabbed for travelling with a 14 year old girl in Hagnaya Wharf. The Foreigner said he doesn't know the law that it is illegal for a person to be in the company of a minor, who is 12 years or younger or a minor at least 10 years younger than that person in a public or private place unless they are related by blood, affinity or some bond recognized by law, custom or tradition or performing acts in as part of a social, moral or legal obligation.

I don't believe he doesn't know the Philippine laws before going here....What do you think???

Meme

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Re: “Ignorance of the law excuses no one,”
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
I read the news and I do not know if he knew the law or did not know the law, so I will not speculate on that. It is legal to be with a 14 year old in Germany  :o according to wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe but anyone traveling to a foreign country for the purpose of being with an underage girl should be sure to know the laws in that country and as far as I am concerned, a woman is a woman and a child is a child, so anyone under 18 should not be dated, period.

I do not know what that guys intentions were, if they were to help the family without ending up with the daughter or not, but foreigners in the Philippines should be sure to never be alone with anyone under 18 who is not related.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 12:01:10 AM »
I know I never knew the law till seeing it on forums but the only young girls I'm around are considered family.  Considered my bodyguards when I walk to the store.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 12:16:17 AM »
Sort of funny story, I once saw a westerner, Canadian or American by the way he spoke, walking in SM Mall in Cebu City about 2 years ago with a very pretty, sexy young girl maybe 13 or so, anyway he had a shirt on saying "She is my Daughter" and the girl had a shirt on saying "He is my Dad" I guess he was making sure no one turned him in.  ;)

As for walking with niece body guards, I had done that all the time in past years in the village where my wife's family is from, and everyone there knows me, I do not think in this day and age that I would do it now unless my wife was with me, instead I send nieces and nephews alone to get things, my thoughts are why let someone get stupid thoughts in their head that I am a pedo, there has been enough real pedos to mess up our reputation as it is.

I hear locals talking about us all the time when my wife and I are with some female friends, when we are out and about yet all are way over 18, and I make sure they walk and sit next to my wife and not me for their sake and reputation, after some of the things my wife and I have heard locals say about us thinking the girls must be whores or sex partners of ours, those comments would never happen in the US if given the same situation, IMHO gossip sucks and especially when it is for stupid reasons.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:49:44 AM »
Here where I live (in my brangy) I dont worry about it. I'm well known, my kids are well known..that includes Malines sister, and brothers...but I would never take her sister to the mall with out somebody with me...never underestimate the crab mentality here...there are those that would report you just because they could..As I have said many times, here in my neighbor hood, Im nice to folks and they are nice to me..they know the family (8of us) my kids go to functions here etc...but if I go to another place, I am always aware of what could happen...always..
The other thing I do not do even here, is invite young kids into my house...this causes my wife some problems sometimes but when we have talked about it I have told her its better to not put yourself in the position of defending your actions....the only time younger kids other than my own are in the house is for things like birthday parties, and then the parents are invited also....
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:59:30 AM »
A 17 year old niece of my wife, who's family is in one of the provinces, has stayed with my wife for the last three years.  I have not and sure am not taking her to the mall or out elsewhere alone unless it was an emergency.  In fact, she will be 18 by the end of the week and I still am not taking her with me alone. And also in fact, I would not do it in the states or elsewhere either.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:45:54 AM »
A 17 year old niece of my wife, who's family is in one of the provinces, has stayed with my wife for the last three years.  I have not and sure am not taking her to the mall or out elsewhere alone unless it was an emergency.  In fact, she will be 18 by the end of the week and I still am not taking her with me alone. And also in fact, I would not do it in the states or elsewhere either.
My wife is always with me when we take her nephews and niece (all under the age of 18) with us to the mall when they stay with us during their school breaks, except for this year since we're here in N. Calif on vacation. Anyway, I just like to go window shopping on my own and I never accompany my wife doing our weekly grocery shopping, I just drop her off and pick her up when she's done with the grocery shopping. Luckily the grocery stores are only blocks away from where we live. 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:56:02 AM »
I ran into an awkward situation when I was there in the Philippines. I was in a residential area at the time and mentioned to someone that I would like to find a way to get on the internet and check my email. Someone mentioned there was an internet shop of some sorts down at the end of the block and around the corner, “very close”.  OK cool I’ll just walk down there and see what I can find and see if I can get an internet connection.

Well not so fast, I’m told it’s not that easy to find, so then they begin explaining how to find the place, and the more they explain the more confusing it became.

Then a couple of young girls, maybe around 12ys old, (relatives of someone there) said they would go with me to show me where the place was.

At the time I’m thinking along the lines of: will my connection be secure? Will the connection speed be adequate? What will it cost?

It wasn’t until we got out onto the street and started walking down the road that I thought “OH crap” How does this look? I know how people in the Philippines can create the most bizarre ideas. So I tried to keep some distance from the girls, and they tried their best to keep up with me. Good Grief!

Fortunately it wasn’t that far away and for sure I would never have found it on my own. I would have walked right past it. It didn’t look any different than any of the other houses. When I walked in the place was packed with kids (teenagers) on all the computers. So we just turned around and want back. I just wanted that situation to be over with.

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »
Me i love kids and to be around them. Here it is different. The only child i interact with is our ten yrs. old daughter. There is a 15 yrs. old wife niece who lives with us.  I very seldomly even talk to her. If something needs to be said i let my wife say it. People here are opportunist and they gossip a lot. I think they all respect me but i am careful when in the presence of young teenagers.
I have heard of many misconducts done by native Filipino men here. It is all hush hush and swept under the rug.
God forbid if a foreigner is even suspect of any wrong doings, can easily end up in jail.
I will never put myself in any position that could lead to problems for me.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:50 AM »
I know one foreigner who started dating his "GF" when she was 14. He says it is Ok if the parents approve! He was even challenged by the police and yet they were powerless. That is the fact here. It is only when someone lodges a formal complaint that charges will be brought. This is not a good application of the law. 

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 03:15:18 PM »
I know one foreigner who started dating his "GF" when she was 14. He says it is Ok if the parents approve! He was even challenged by the police and yet they were powerless. That is the fact here. It is only when someone lodges a formal complaint that charges will be brought. This is not a good application of the law.
Was the foreigner referred to here an adult?  If so, how sad.  And also sad that the girl's parents are so desperate to allow such a thing.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
Was the foreigner referred to here an adult?  If so, how sad.  And also sad that the girl's parents are so desperate to allow such a thing.

About 60!!!

Edited by Steve: Fixed the quote. (Remember, the forward slash is only on the end quote bracket.) The 1st one is just the word. Both have to be in brackets though. TY.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:34:53 PM by Steve & Myrlita »

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »
Sad, sad, sad.

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »

Spot on iamjames.  The police does not take any action at all unless they receive a formal complaint.   We live a block away from the poluce station and  I can see how disregard for the laws are tolerated.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 12:06:12 AM »
I think its just part of having Common Sense.unless its a Family member.and then if its a girl under 18 lets just use our Brains for once.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog