Author Topic: Can a foreigner living in the philippines, on a 13a buy, and carry a gun?  (Read 12505 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Can a foreigner living in the philippines, on a 13a buy, and carry a gun?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 12:21:56 AM »
Jack, Thanks for that information. I often though about that, as i know that i could not get a permit to own a gun here. But what if the wife a Ph citizen have the permit and own the gun.

Trevor,

Read this link:
http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,3486.0.html
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »
Maybe a little off topic, but does anyone have a BB gun or tried to bring one into the country in a balakbayan (sp) box? I have one that looks exactly like a real gun, and I like just having it in case someone pulls a knife.

You\'re joking, right?   ???    And what do you propose to do with the BB gun?  Hit him with it? 
You\'d be arrested and will sit in a Filipino jail for probably 6 months to a year waiting for arraignment on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, regardless of the \"fact\" that it was only a BB gun.  Even if you shot him with it, that would only piss him off really bad and then he\'d come back at you with even more force, most likely killing you.

Carry a big stick instead.   At least with that you could hold him at bay and maybe keep him from sticking you with his knife.   ;)

Louisville, KY USA

Offline JeffersonFlies

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 12:44:32 AM »
Firing it is out the question, but simply showing it would make most knife wielders run the other way, you disagree?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:44 AM »
Firing it is out the question, but simply showing it would make most knife wielders run the other way, you disagree?

Totally and completely!  NEVER pull a weapon on anyone unless you fully intend to use it.  Ever hear of terroristic threatening?  You\'d most likely end up with the guy filing a complaint against you with the local constabulary, putting you right where I said before, rotting away in a Filipino jail while you wait for the legal system to sort out just what to charge you with.  In fact, anyone in the Philippines can accuse you of wrong doing, even if they have no evidence.  The fact that you are a foreigner gives them all the fodder they need to put your butt in jail \"just because\".  Pulling out even a BB gun and threatening someone with it could get you deported and even blacklisted.  Ain\'t worth it, bro, trust me.    
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JeffersonFlies

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 01:59:13 AM »
Ok, thanks for the advice. All the same I think I\'ll at least keep a shotgun INSIDE my home as a last resort. Rather spend the rest of my life in jail than have to watch my family shot.

I\'m surprised to hear a foreigner is so easily able to be arrested. I would think they would want to avoid arresting foreigners for no good reason or risk losing out on all the money we bring in.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:49 AM »
Yeah, you might think that, if you didn\'t know how things work in the Republic of the Philippines.  And I don\'t mean that in any negative or demeaning way towards you personally.    :)

You are correct in thinking that as the husband of a Filipina, you have a right, even as a foreigner, to defend yourself and any member of your immediate, or extended family, when you are on your own property, but the only lawful weapon you could even have access to would be one owned by your Filipino wife.  You as a foreigner have no right to purchase or to carry a weapon.  The only weapons lawfully permitted to be purchased and owned in the RP are by native born Filipinos who obtain the proper license and weapons permits.  Even then they are limited to only one pistol and one shotgun, by law

Using her pistol against a burglar on your own property, even rented property, is justifiable under Filipino law, provided you follow the letter of the law I gave you the link to earlier.  Did you read that? 

Of course there are thousands of illegal weapons being carted about by all levels of the populace, but we don\'t go there as it\'s a law punishable by long detention in a Filipino prison, and in our cases, deportation and blacklisting for life.

I was trying to respond to you having a BB gun and carrying it to defend yourself in the Philippines.  Trust me, a young Filipino punk brazen enough to perpetrate an assault on you with a knife won\'t be deterred by being stung with a BB.  He\'ll most likely use his basilong to slice and dice you, and then run off into the crowd.

Like anywhere else you have to watch your back, and don\'t put yourself into bad situations.  The same rules apply as apply in any major city I know of, you just have fewer rights in the RP as a guest as you do in your own country.  You have to walk a very fine line as a guest in the country.

Louisville, KY USA

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 07:29:55 AM »
Maybe a little off topic, but does anyone have a BB gun or tried to bring one into the country in a balakbayan (sp) box? I have one that looks exactly like a real gun, and I like just having it in case someone pulls a knife.
Seriously in the PI you don\'t want to be facing up to people like that. Run, Forest, run, if you can.

Don\'t bring a fake gun to a knife fight. ;D

I\'ve lived here for ten or more years, on and off, travelled around some dodgy areas, and never had a knife pulled on me. Body language and common sense is what you need, more than a weapon.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »

I\'m surprised to hear a foreigner is so easily able to be arrested. I would think they would want to avoid arresting foreigners for no good reason or risk losing out on all the money we bring in.

We don\'t bring in that much money.  Most of the westerners living in the RP are retiree\'s with very limited incomes and there\'s not that many of them anyway.

The largest groups to visit, live, retire in the RP are the Koreans.  Followed by the Japanese.

As far as wielding a BB gun with a would be assailant you would have more to worry about then the fact he may turn you into the authorities.  He may instead just gather up all his barkada and then they would pay you a rather unpleasant visit.  Unpleasant for you that is.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
Seriously in the PI you don\'t want to be facing up to people like that. Run, Forest, run, if you can.

Don\'t bring a fake gun to a knife fight. ;D

I\'ve lived here for ten or more years, on and off, travelled around some dodgy areas, and never had a knife pulled on me. Body language and common sense is what you need, more than a weapon.

You just need to \'go with the flow\' blend in and become part of the scenery. Don\'t make enemies or go to the wrong places at night. Like King, I have lived here for many years and have never had the slightest problem.

Colin

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »
Ok, thanks for the advice. All the same I think I\'ll at least keep a shotgun INSIDE my home as a last resort. Rather spend the rest of my life in jail than have to watch my family shot.

Oh come on mate, it ain\'t that bad. How many foreigners get killed in the PI every year? How many home invasions are there involving foreigners? You seem to have picked up a pretty bad image of the PI from somewhere, but it really is not justified.

Another word of advice, in any foreign country: don\'t read the newspapers. They contain nothing but bad news and misery. \"Good news doesn\'t sell newspapers\", as they say.  ;D

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 10:32:35 PM »
I\'ve never read all this thread about the gun ownership thing and the need for one.
I\'m of the opinion of King and Colin here,.. why do people think its \'that bad\' in the Phils to need to keep weapons ? Surely you can decide for yourself whether a place looks or feels \'un-safe\' to live, find a place where you can relax with the nieghbors and enjoy being with them, let them see your \'one of them\' and willing to join in.
Everyone is differant, I\'ve seen western guys visiting in the village where we have our house, and the locals can\'t stand the site of them because of the way they treat the locals.
Me and my whole family just wander around care-free, hell, my son Troy, who is 11 years old, walks 2 miles to the village centre with his pals to dance at the local fiesta. We never worry about him because I\'ve been told that all the locals love him around and they all watch out for him , and woe betide anyone who would threaten him.
Why would I want to spoil that by thinking I need to have a gun at the house ?

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog