Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The apartment is 2 storey 2 bedroom about 87mē and about 500 metres from the sea. The bills each month with me not there vary between about P18,000 and P23,000.

As many have mentioned, it depends very much on the lifestyle etc etc.  I could not manage on your figures.  My medical health insurance alone is P18,000 per month.
Hobbies and Interests / Re: Stuck Bolts
« Last post by M.C.A. on Today at 05:38:11 PM »
The mechanic had to remove my engine intake manifold because one of the thermostat bolts tore off and we tried everything and we couldn't get it to budge so mechanic removed the entire manifold he took it to a welder and he welded on a bar on what was left of the bolt and he worked back and forth and it went well it came out and no damage to the manifold. 
Announcements and Information / Re: where did everyone go?
« Last post by M.C.A. on Today at 05:28:46 PM »
My daughter needed a break with our two grandkids my granddaughter is 2 and my grandson is 7 so what a handful we had them for a couple months especially the two-year-old so she only wants to watch Play Dough Baby Hulk YouTube videos but now they are back with my daughter what a relief.
« Last post by FastWalk on Today at 03:35:13 PM »
Did one of us big bad moderators scare you all off?? I know about big mouth Bud who thinks the rules of a forum do not apply to him but what about the rest of you?

keep up the good work !!
« Last post by jjcabgou on Today at 02:50:12 PM »
Still here.  The net here in my neck of the woods has been horrible.  Stuff I use to be able to download in hours is literally taking days now.  Tomorrow when I head to get my immigration work done I plan to hit my ISP seeing they closed their office in my municipality and get them to answer some questions and begin what will probably be a consecutive succession of getting workers sent to my house over and over and over until the issue is fixed.  Went through something like this about 2 years ago.  Get's real annoying.  But, one of the prices to pay living here in the Phils.  But, when it does work(it's down half the time) the speeds are just so slow that I struggle to connect to just about any site.  Forget sites like youtube and such.
ahhh the internet in the Philippines, I know of topic but I just cant help myself, my biggest gripe about living here is the damn internet.  Drives me fricken banana's.  We are about 30 years behind the rest of the world.  UGH 
« Last post by Peter on Today at 11:34:14 AM »
Still here.  The net here in my neck of the woods has been horrible.  Stuff I use to be able to download in hours is literally taking days now.  Tomorrow when I head to get my immigration work done I plan to hit my ISP seeing they closed their office in my municipality and get them to answer some questions and begin what will probably be a consecutive succession of getting workers sent to my house over and over and over until the issue is fixed.  Went through something like this about 2 years ago.  Get's real annoying.  But, one of the prices to pay living here in the Phils.  But, when it does work(it's down half the time) the speeds are just so slow that I struggle to connect to just about any site.  Forget sites like youtube and such.

Joel.

A bit of a coincidence that you're suffering from slow downloads. So it may be worth seeing what your ISP is doing, as a couple of weeks ago (28 September) our Smart home WiFi went overnight from acceptable to 'can't even access their own account log in page'. I could only get Gmail, but nothing else. All pages were timing out and "pings" came back unreachable! Really, really frustrating. >:(

As the contract was due renewal on 6 October and we were considering going PLDT fiber, we went that same day (Friday) to the PLDT office to ask about their cable/fiber plans. As PLDT and Smart are interrelated, the PLDT manager was able to look up our Smart account, then told us that all the "All-In" plans with 9 number accounts (starting with 101xxxxxx and  we've had it for over 10 years) were being discontinued. No notice, just run down the bandwidth and grind to a stop!!!

Signed up there and then for a PLDT Home account. In my name as the wife had only one ID with her and they needed two. They accepted my ACR-Icard and Philippines' driving license as residential and identity proof.

This was Friday late afternoon. The following Tuesday morning, the techs arrived and installed the drop cable from the consumer unit on the pole about 50 metres away. They mounted an optical interface box on the wall next to my computer desk, then switched on the network unit (a posh router  :) ) and 2 minutes later I was connected to the internet! Took less than an hour, start to finish. A very neat and tidy installation.  :)

Old Smart contract was 1,499 a month (originally 999 pm, but it went up over the years) with pretty slow speed measured in Kbs, but with "unlimited" downloads.

We went for the  PLDT home fiber Plan 1699, which is only PhP 200 more a month than what we were paying for Smart home wifi. This gives us (up to) 15Mbps, with a cap of 150 Gb monthly downloads.  According to OOKLA a few minutes ago, we're getting around 8 mbps up and down, measured to a BT hub in Lancashire, UK.

Peter

Hobbies and Interests / Stuck Bolts
« Last post by Peter on Today at 10:21:56 AM »
For those who are of a practical nature.

< https://tinyurl.com/yalaf2dk  >

Reading it brought a smile to my face. Nodding my head and thinking, "Been there, done that, got the blood on my knuckles!"   ;D ;D ;D

Peter
« Last post by JoeLP on Today at 09:50:06 AM »
I agree with lost's remarks considering the effect it'll have in the Philippines.  Crying out loud college grads are working at Jolibee as a cashier, cook, and other base jobs that high school kids handle in a place like the USA.  The local Jolibees, pizza chains, and other fast food joints actually require applicants to at least be college students.
Same in pharmacies and other such places.  Unless your family owns a local business the chance of you working there without a college education is low.  At least local to where I live currently.
At the same point, the family across the street has a brother that's an engineer that currently works for a good firm in New Zeeland after being hunted and taken jobs in Japan, India, Norway, and this is his second stop in New Zeeland.  A member of Tina's family that went to school for the local version of Hospitality and is now a mid level manager of a cruise ship.  So I can see some people, getting education in the right industry(more nurses come from the Philippines than anywhere) can get out of the USA quicker with such a degree.  Can they handle it?  Who knows.
Just the way I see it, the "free education"(like lost I agree that nothing is free and anyone saying something is free is either ignorant or hoping the people listening to them is ignorant) will make a degree cheaper in concern to it's effect in the Philippines, but be good for those who are looking to get jobs in a different country.  Engineers, nurses and hospitality educated college grads probably have the best chances to get out of the Philippines and get jobs. 
« Last post by jjcabgou on Today at 08:15:39 AM »
still here and read the posts every few days I guess.    Golfing everyday has now taken up a majority of my time, its a painfully addicting sport, I have NOT yet broken a club over my knee or on a tree, but a few f bombs have found their way to my lips.  The laughter, smiles and fun far outweigh the frustrations though, so I think I will continue my futile efforts :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog