Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Announcements and Information / Re: Forum was down.
« Last post by Peter on Today at 09:08:42 AM »
The forum for some unknown reason went down since Sat. We the management deeply apologizes for that. Thank God it is now back up and running.

Steve.

No need to apologise "deeply" for something completely out of your control.

But thanks for the info as I, and I must not be the only one methinks, who needs a 'Forum Fix" over an after breakfast cup of tea!  :) :)

Peter
Announcements and Information / Re: Forum was down.
« Last post by Travelling Bob on Today at 06:43:01 AM »
I thought it was down yesterday, so I just waited.

thanks  Steve
Announcements and Information / Forum was down.
« Last post by Steve & Myrlita on Today at 12:31:19 AM »
The forum for some unknown reason went down since Sat. We the management deeply apologizes for that. Thank God it is now back up and running.
Social Security and Pensions / Australian Aged Pension and Early Retirement
« Last post by JohnH on January 19, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »
Hi there. I just posted a caution on an Aussie's thread but my experience may help others to make wiser choices.

I put away my coding pencil and wound down my business at 58. Early retirement allowed me to spend MUCH more time in the Philippines and I was happy, looking forward to a part pension.

I was living in Oz when I hit 65 and applied for the pension. With my travel history, they were sceptical that I was a PERMANENT resident. After several phone calls and sweet talking my case officer, I was granted the pension with portability. If YOU retire early, you may not be so lucky.

Renting my home gave me a modest income but I decided to make my move permanent and prepared my home for sale. I advised Centrelink and that put me close to the assets limit.
Three months later, my pension was CANCELLED!

Since I was overseas, the extra allowances with the pension were removed. This put me just OVER the assets test! I had placed the value on my home for Centrelink purposes - I should have guessed a little lower.

The GFC came along and my estimate proved wildly optimistic so I tried to get my part pension restored. Sorry, NO. You need to make a NEW application and now you certainly fail the residency requirements.
No safety net. If my investments fail, I will have to go back to Oz with my tail between my legs :-(

The moral of the story? Protect portability before pension age then watch your asset valuation.
Expat life in Philippines / Re: Living & Working in the Philippines (introduction)
« Last post by JohnH on January 19, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
Since the OP is a Centrelink client, this warning may not be necessary:
If the Australian Aged Pension is important to your plans, proceed with caution!
In the opinion of the person who reviews your application, you must be a permanent resident. They have easy access to immigration computers and probably know more about your travels than you remember.

If you lived and worked all your life in Australia (with overseas vacations), then hit pension age, you are home free. You have portability and can retire wherever you like.

If you recently returned from an extended time away, but now swear that you are NOW a permanent resident you will be granted the pension but it WILL be cancelled if you leave Oz for more than a few weeks.

The uncertainty is - how recent is "recent"? Then, how long, if ever, till you are reclassified as having portability?
Motorcycles / Re: First Scooter
« Last post by FastWalk on January 18, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
  And the bikes can move so much better through traffic to out destinations and back we save the car only for rainy days.

That is how it looks to me also.
« Last post by FastWalk on January 18, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
Anything larger than 150 seemed to put folks off.  They thought it was wasteful and scary.

I will keep that in mind,   I guess there really is not any reason for any larger.
Announcements and Information / Fathers Day
« Last post by WarnerTug on January 18, 2019, 03:11:23 AM »
The best of intentions are meaningless unless put into action. Someone said that once.
I had the best of intentions about coming on her on Sat/Sun and putting a cool hacker dad poem or something and time just escaped me.
So I wanted to wish you fathers out there a Belated Happy Father's Day
May you share many more special moments of joy, happiness, and peace than of diapers, screams, and chaos :-
« Last post by JoeLP on January 17, 2019, 08:18:15 PM »
Our bike is a Honda 110dl.  When I got here we got the car, then I talked to a retiree from the USAF about bikes.  He has the same bike, but a few years older and a 100cc engine.  He said he rarely takes the van to town any longer.  He lives about 20km away in the neighboring municipality and the public markets and all are nowhere near what we have here in the provincial capital. He had a rack custom made(I have the same now) that sits on the back of the bike and allows for a "box" to be fixed to it.  It's the storage containers you can buy in most malls or order from lazada.com online.  Ours cost about 1400php for a good one with lock.  Anyway, you can fit a lot of what you want in that.  We also put "hooks" under the steering section on the main system that allows for bags to be "locked" into them(sorta like an over sized carabiner(climbing hook style). 
Between the storage container/box and the hooks we can carry almost everything we need.  And the bikes can move so much better through traffic to our destinations and back we save the car only for rainy days. 
« Last post by lost_in_samoa on January 17, 2019, 11:22:54 AM »
What are you riding,  why did you pick that one ?

We have 2 older Japanese 150 cc trikes.  I bought them used and rebuilt them in house.   Then shipped in a box of quality engine parts as spares. 

Anything larger than 150 seemed to put folks off.  They thought it was wasteful and scary.

The only thing unusual we did was insist on  no decorations or pretentious bs.   Longevity and function over aesthetic form.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog