Author Topic: Inflation is up  (Read 625 times)

Offline chimellie

Re: Inflation is up
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »
I think because of the inflation went up, now the Peso is 52.9 to 1 USD.

Gas prices will go up too soon ?

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 09:23:20 PM »
Sorry if I repeated myself, my memory is just about shot,  :( some things I remember and many I do not, sadly I am closing in on the time when I may have to even walk away from forums, or just stop posting all together.

Given the amount you post Lee I think your memory is remarkable! Please do not walk away!

As for buy one get one, I am happy to see that your area has it a lot, I hope to see it more in Cebu, saw some last year, did not see any this year at all but we are not there all year, so maybe it happens more when we are not there.  Also the last time we were in the Manila area, I noticed that prices on many items were lower there than Cebu, I suspect because that is the port of entry and where a lot of items may get manufactured and then some items get shipped to Cebu from there.

Thank you for your input..

We did notice a very heavy Chinese / Korean / Japanese presence in Cebu - remarkably so, and I wonder if that has an effect on prices?

I did a cost analysis of our trip to Philippines in 2011 and the trip earlier this year. Our costs per week this year were *less* than 2011! The significant factor being AirBnB. We were paying about a third of what we were paying in 2011 for accommodation. We seemed to spend about the same on food.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
Given the amount you post Lee I think your memory is remarkable! Please do not walk away!

We did notice a very heavy Chinese / Korean / Japanese presence in Cebu - remarkably so, and I wonder if that has an effect on prices?

I did a cost analysis of our trip to Philippines in 2011 and the trip earlier this year. Our costs per week this year were *less* than 2011! The significant factor being AirBnB. We were paying about a third of what we were paying in 2011 for accommodation. We seemed to spend about the same on food.
Thank you for the kind words, it does not take much memory to read online and post, I am doing my best to keep my mind active, that means lots of reading for me but keeping in my head what I read is quite a different story. :( 

We have found that costs in Cebu on cable TV, water, property taxes, electric have remained fairly constant, even condo fees have only gone up once in the 11 years we own our Cebu condo but they also added VAT to the bill which was a decent increase yet not directly cost of living related. Rents friends pay in Cebu and elsewhere in the Philippines have stayed the same year after year, so I guess that would be one major difference between first world costs and the Philippines, rents usually go up all the time in the U.S., so I suspect they go up in most first world countries when leases run out.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 01:58:31 AM »
Thank you for the kind words, it does not take much memory to read online and post, I am doing my best to keep my mind active, that means lots of reading for me but keeping in my head what I read is quite a different story. :( 

We have found that costs in Cebu on cable TV, water, property taxes, electric have remained fairly constant, even condo fees have only gone up once in the 11 years we own our Cebu condo but they also added VAT to the bill which was a decent increase yet not directly cost of living related. Rents friends pay in Cebu and elsewhere in the Philippines have stayed the same year after year, so I guess that would be one major difference between first world costs and the Philippines, rents usually go up all the time in the U.S., so I suspect they go up in most first world countries when leases run out.

No, that is not a major difference.  My wife's rent on her office space just went up 10% over last year when she renewed her lease back in March.  Granted it had not gone up for a couple of years but I do remember it going up once before since the time I moved here plus I know of her talking about it a couple of times when I still lived in US and she was in a different office building.  In fact, where she is now she moved in to shortly after I got here because she was griping about her rent going up again at the previous place and the new place, the building had just been renovated and was not much higher.  Then again, I could possibly be wrong.  Maybe they just don't raise rents in Cebu.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 07:53:23 AM »
Yeah, mostly everything has gone up in price. I even had to add a few thousand pesos to our monthly grocery budget to cover the higher cost of food, but still have enough left over for savings for other unexpected expenditures. All in all in general, everything else is just fine.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »
I solved my problem with the price of groceries rising.  Two weeks ago, I went to that new store called Landers that just opened over in Alabang West.  If you don't know about it, the place is going to rival S&R.  I was checking out the store and picking up some stuff.  After I finished and headed past the meat cases I figured I would find me a nice Ribeye, NY Strip or even a Sirloin.  Well, I had picked out one and went over to another case to see if they had any Hormel Pepperoni like S&R sometimes does.  Lo and behold, I almost fell down on the floor.  There in the case I saw packages of what looked like Bologna.  I picked one up and printed on the label was "US Beef Bologna".  The only bologna I will even look at is beef bologna.  I have seen some off the wall stuff, claiming to be some kind of bologna in a couple of the grocery stores here a couple of times and they taste like crap.

Anyway, I figured that this had to be the real stuff.  I took a pack and took the steak just in case.  Man, I had not sunk my teeth in to a beef bologna sandwich in over five years and to my delight, I got home, opened the package and savored the smell for a few minutes alone and then made a sandwich.  It was so good that last week I went right past the steaks and picked up five packs of beef bologna and when I got home, put the extra in the freezer.  Maybe early next week it will be time to go back and get some more.  I know though that pretty quick here, I will have slowed down on it and use maybe only a pack a week.  But, if you are a fan of beef bologna, that is the place to get it.  Unless you know of some place that I don't.

So, there will no having to resort to dog food for me because of inflation.

Offline chimellie

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 04:00:09 AM »
The locals are complaining. They were given P20 minimum pay increase but still not enough.

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/179509/wage-hike-not-enough

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 02:39:49 AM »
I solved my problem with the price of groceries rising.  Two weeks ago, I went to that new store called Landers that just opened over in Alabang West.  If you don't know about it, the place is going to rival S&R.  I was checking out the store and picking up some stuff.  After I finished and headed past the meat cases I figured I would find me a nice Ribeye, NY Strip or even a Sirloin.  Well, I had picked out one and went over to another case to see if they had any Hormel Pepperoni like S&R sometimes does.  Lo and behold, I almost fell down on the floor.  There in the case I saw packages of what looked like Bologna.  I picked one up and printed on the label was "US Beef Bologna".  The only bologna I will even look at is beef bologna.  I have seen some off the wall stuff, claiming to be some kind of bologna in a couple of the grocery stores here a couple of times and they taste like crap.

Anyway, I figured that this had to be the real stuff.  I took a pack and took the steak just in case.  Man, I had not sunk my teeth in to a beef bologna sandwich in over five years and to my delight, I got home, opened the package and savored the smell for a few minutes alone and then made a sandwich.  It was so good that last week I went right past the steaks and picked up five packs of beef bologna and when I got home, put the extra in the freezer.  Maybe early next week it will be time to go back and get some more.  I know though that pretty quick here, I will have slowed down on it and use maybe only a pack a week.  But, if you are a fan of beef bologna, that is the place to get it.  Unless you know of some place that I don't.

So, there will no having to resort to dog food for me because of inflation.

I got a membership to Landers in Cebu when I was there last. Didnít see beef bologna, will have to look a little harder when I get back next month. Beef bologna and beef hotdogs are my favs. Well, next to ribeyes and filet mignon of course. They had ribeyes there but, didnít see any tenderloin. It was New Zealand beef though, not US. Does taste the same to me. Ground beef from NZ tasted a bit suspect to me as well. What I found odd is that the food court in Landers has some pretty tasty beef hotdogs but, they do not sell them anywhere in the store.  :(

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »
I got a membership to Landers in Cebu when I was there last. Didnít see beef bologna, will have to look a little harder when I get back next month. Beef bologna and beef hotdogs are my favs. Well, next to ribeyes and filet mignon of course. They had ribeyes there but, didnít see any tenderloin. It was New Zealand beef though, not US. Does taste the same to me. Ground beef from NZ tasted a bit suspect to me as well. What I found odd is that the food court in Landers has some pretty tasty beef hotdogs but, they do not sell them anywhere in the store.  :(

No problem with Australian or NZ beef for me either.  Just first time I have come across anything labeled as beef bologna along with where it came from.  S&R has good beef dogs at the food court that they don't sell in the store also.  The only halfway decent beef dogs I have come across in the stores such as SM and Shopwise or whatever starts with an "H" I think but can't remember what it is and don't have a pack right now to look.  And inflation has yet to seem like it is raising the price of them.  Not yet anyway.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog