Author Topic: home protection, does it ever cross you mind that you might need something?  (Read 724 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: home protection, does it ever cross you mind that you might need something?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
Good points Samoa.  My english comprehension skills are up to task to understand you were getting at his point of the "gun" being what got him originally and that the gun is just a tool, like any car.  Good astute point.

But, getting back to what to use in the line of defense in the Phils.  Dogs are NOT the best thing.  Heck, probably one of the worst lines of defense. 

My ex that grew up in the Phils always had at least 3 dogs.  Her father used them and trained them all as watch/guard dogs.  Almost to the last one before she moved to America were poisoned.  The "foreigner village"(locals name for it) in the next municipality over had a spot this last spring where almost every dog owner had their dogs poisoned and killed.  A few have house dogs and as such most of them survived.  But even a few of those when put outside in the morning ate the tainted meat and died.

This has been a setup for decades.  Doesn't matter if your pinoy or foreign...there are people who will poison and kill your dogs to leave your house less protected.  They cannot poison a gun, bolo, half bat, or any of those items.  But a dog can be removed much more simply.

I am a big dog person.  Always had them and loved them.  But would not depend on them for anything pertaining to protection of my property here.  That is a fool's errand. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 02:37:32 PM »
Good points Samoa. 

My sincere apologies for Hijacking the thread.  He touched a lot of issues that I study and care deeply about.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
My sincere apologies for Hijacking the thread.  He touched a lot of issues that I study and care deeply about.

You made good points.  A hammer was used to kill a girl in texas.  What next, the left wants us to license and force permits to buy every hammer? 

I knew where you were going and it made clear sense.  Bat, in any fashion, gun, bolo, hammer, and so on and so forth are all tools that cam be used for damage to a human.  Why should one be more scary than the next.  They can all be used for good and bad and defense.  Thus, they are tools.  Sorta insane how some can't see that.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
Dogs are NOT the best thing.

I know that this will give an embolism to the forum Bobby McFarin Acolytes.  I pre-apologize for disturbing the Wa.

You need a layered defense.  Proper fame of mind, fences, clear views, hardened apertures in your house, a warning system, and last resort options.

Dogs can be a part of that ...... if they are trained properly.  Dogs can be a terrible liability when they are chained up on a short leash and neglected.  Which is what most of the neighbors do.  With the incessant yapping you never know if the dog is alerting or complaining about being chained up.

I've installed a few security systems in my day.  They are better than nothing, but trivial to beat.  An inside dog protecting its territory is almost impossible to circumnavigate.

Dogs as weapons are for the most part jokes.  I've been mauled on a number of occasions.  In every case ..... size, brains, and an opposable thumb won the day.

We have had a lot of outside dogs poisoned, shot, run over, stabbed, and just generally mis-used. So now we don't have dogs.  We have four legged members of the family.

A dog is useful when they love you a great deal, understand that they are part of  your pack, and are taught to be alert.  I have a mutt that herds poultry, and has ambitions on the larger livestock.  Hilarious to watch a 10 kilo scruffy puff ball face down a 600 kilo Carabao.

So get a small, calm puppy.  Love it up and raise it like your kids.  Teach it to hunt varmints, and it will learn to guard.  It's senses will become an extension of yours while you sleep.

Hope my 2 piso's help.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:18:33 PM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
Not trying to talk down to anyone, just telling people that they should not fall into a false sense of security because the unexpected can and does happen.
Lets face it, the PI is a dangerous place.  It is one of the dangerous countries in the world especially for expat.  We are no 11 according to this link https://www.businessinsider.com.au/dangerous-countries-v2-2017-5

I agree that although you live in a gated  and guarded subdivision or condo  that you are safe.  Everything here have a price and are negotiable.  Those guards that are guarding your place of abode can be easily bought for the right price.  Those guards makes chump change, barely above the minimum wage.  Sometimes, those same guards are the ones who commits the crime.

Keeping our family safe is one of our top priorities.  If you feel that owning a gun, having a baseball bat, a dog, a bolo or holding your dick with both hands to keep your family safe is your prerogative.  You should do whatever works.  If you think that you need a machine gun placement in your perimeter, a mine field, C4 booby trap or what not, you should do it to protect your family.  You and only you knew what you need to do to keep your loved ones safe and what makes you sleep soundly at night.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
holding your dick with both hands

Now that is a tactic that I have not tried yet.  In my case I need three hands so Ester will have to be a part of that evolution.  Thank you for the heads up.  I'll let you know how it goes.  ;)

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »
I have several "Walking Tall" sticks I made at every door entrance and bolo's and YES they are needed and I've had to break out the bolo once or if I need to take care of one my animals at night I'll take the bolo knife with me.  We have 3 dogs and they help the most.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
Oh boy lost_in_samoa you are a deep thinker, thumbsup

One thing I can add is that we from the west are used to calling the police, fire rescue or an ambulance and receiving them in a reasonable amount of time, depending on where a person lives in the Philippines that may not be probable, police response even in many cities is very slow and then comes traffic congestion, thus we ourselves may be forced to take care of our family and ourselves, at least until a long amount of time passes, the Philippines is not at all like back home and many of us really need to get that drilled into our heads.

As I mention before our home invasion in Florida, even in our town it took about 10 minutes for the police to respond once called and then our whole block was full of police cars, try that in the Philippines and see what happens and how long it takes, if you do not happen to live next door to a police station and maybe even then.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
Oh boy lost_in_samoa you are a deep thinker, thumbsup

One thing I can add is that we from the west are used to calling the police, fire rescue or an ambulance and receiving them in a reasonable amount of time, depending on where a person lives in the Philippines that may not be probable, police response even in many cities is very slow and then comes traffic congestion, thus we ourselves may be forced to take care of our family and ourselves, at least until a long amount of time passes, the Philippines is not at all like back home and many of us really need to get that drilled into our heads.

As I mention before our home invasion in Florida, even in our town it took about 10 minutes for the police to respond once called and then our whole block was full of police cars, try that in the Philippines and see what happens and how long it takes, if you do not happen to live next door to a police station and maybe even then.

Deep thinker....something like that.
Of course Philippines is not like our home country, nobody is comparing in that way.  Having said that there are places in UK as I'm sure there are in America, that are equally dangerous.
Of course you are entitled to use whatever defenses you feel necessary, as I've already agreed.
Yes the police may take time to arrive, same anywhere in the world.

ALL I am trying to say, in this simplest of terms, as I am not a deep thinker, is you all do whatever you want or feel necessary that is your prerogative, but personally, if I ever feel that those sort of steps are necessary, I will no longer live there.

Londoner at heart

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
Deep thinker....something like that.
Of course Philippines is not like our home country, nobody is comparing in that way.  Having said that there are places in UK as I'm sure there are in America, that are equally dangerous.
Of course you are entitled to use whatever defenses you feel necessary, as I've already agreed.
Yes the police may take time to arrive, same anywhere in the world.

ALL I am trying to say, in this simplest of terms, as I am not a deep thinker, is you all do whatever you want or feel necessary that is your prerogative, but personally, if I ever feel that those sort of steps are necessary, I will no longer live there.

Thank you for allowing me to protect my family and myself however I feel the need, wherever I am. I feel much safer already  :D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 01:19:25 AM »
Thank you for allowing me to protect my family and myself however I feel the need, wherever I am. I feel much safer already  :D

You are most welcome brutha  :D
Londoner at heart

Offline nicolanewman

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
You guys should also want to consider CCTV cameras. It's not that expensive and they are easy to set up. Living here in the Philippines, I would probably want to have a gun in extreme cases. There are cases of theft and murder around homes and I would kill than let them kill my children.

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2017, 11:24:30 PM »

Looting of the Caribbean After Hurricane Irma, Residents Defenseless

Are we learning yet?

Yes we are, learning that you're like a dog with bone, just won't give it up.

You go buy as many guns as you like, that's your choice....... it's not mine. 

Anybody that can say that a car and a gun are the same thing are just on different planet.  A car is a means of transport, a gun is designed and used to kill or maim. Yeah yeah cars can kill, so can falling off your sofa, get real guys.
For the record, as if anybody's interested, I will no longer follow or contribute to this thread, as I think its pretty clear to all, where we stand and there is nothing to be gained by flogging it to death.
Londoner at heart

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »
Thank you David and everyone for your opinions and contributions to this thread and the forum, please all, do not let others opinions upset you, life is too short to let anything get in our way of enjoying our lives. Yes we all think differently and especially those of us who have been brought up in different countries, we are all entitled to think however we wish to. It would be my hope that none of us ever need a weapon of any type, ever.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog