Author Topic: The Who  (Read 337 times)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
The Who
« on: September 09, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
After a decent workout, I grabbed an ice cold Becks, and pulled up "Who's Next", by The Who on Spotify.   It had been years since I listened to this album, I had forgotten just how great it is.   Great music will always stand the test of time.

Cheers!

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: The Who
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »
I love that album too.
Mike........

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:51:55 PM »
My youngest went to her first dance last night when she go home she told me about a fun new dance.
Everyone got up and made letters with their arms, YMCA.
She told me she liked to dance to the old music and not the new stuff.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »
My youngest went to her first dance last night when she go home she told me about a fun new dance.
Everyone got up and made letters with their arms, YMCA.
She told me she liked to dance to the old music and not the new stuff.

I thought YMCA was that bunch of guys dressed up in different costumes and not The Who.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
I appreciate the Who.  Use to like them a lot more.

Had a boss who worshiped the Who.  He'd go to every concert inside a 10 state area.  He was crazy about them and played them almost all day every day. 

After that some of the shine wore off, if you will. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
I appreciate the Who.  Use to like them a lot more.

Had a boss who worshiped the Who.  He'd go to every concert inside a 10 state area.  He was crazy about them and played them almost all day every day. 

After that some of the shine wore off, if you will.
The shine wore off many of the 60's/70's bands, and mostly because you heard the albums/songs SOOO many times.   However, putting one on after a decade or so, you remember what made that particular album so great. 

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 05:46:23 PM »
I was a Beatle fan and had gotten my first 45 player when they hit the states.  All I got was Beatle records and all their albums once I got something to play them.  By the 70s though, their mid 60s stuff became bubblegum crap to me.  Did not listen to any of that for a long time.  But now, it is good to put some of it on every once in awhile.  Some of that other stuff going back to them and then later, I could barely deal with then or after.  But then, into the 70s I started paying more attention to good old rock 'n roll and never got tired of listening to it.  The stuff I like that is such as Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Arerosmith, etc. Also, some of the groups that came along after that in the 80s and early 90s but after that, there are very few bits of music that have come out that I even want to hear anything about.  The later groups after the 70s I pick and choose a lot as to what I listen to though.  I also occasionally like listening to some of the Big Band era stuff from before I was born.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
I was a Beatle fan and had gotten my first 45 player when they hit the states.  All I got was Beatle records and all their albums once I got something to play them.  By the 70s though, their mid 60s stuff became bubblegum crap to me.  Did not listen to any of that for a long time.  But now, it is good to put some of it on every once in awhile.  Some of that other stuff going back to them and then later, I could barely deal with then or after.  But then, into the 70s I started paying more attention to good old rock 'n roll and never got tired of listening to it.  The stuff I like that is such as Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Arerosmith, etc. Also, some of the groups that came along after that in the 80s and early 90s but after that, there are very few bits of music that have come out that I even want to hear anything about.  The later groups after the 70s I pick and choose a lot as to what I listen to though.  I also occasionally like listening to some of the Big Band era stuff from before I was born.

Love big band era music.  But also enjoyed the Brian Setzer works.  From his days with "Stray Catz" to his later music with his own "Brian Setzer Orchestra" group.  He remade some of those older big band era music. 

That said, nothing beats listening to some Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Artie Shaw or Count Basie.  My grandma plaid those a lot in her house so I got to hear those a lot when at her house.

Also like to play some of Blue Eyes and Davis and the rest of that era's Jazz style music.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 08:17:20 PM »
Oh Yeah,  Setzer's good.

Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, Jeff Healey, Charlie Daniels, Pure Prairie League, Eagles.

Music that took skill, sweat, and heart to make.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 01:03:49 AM »
Oh Yeah,  Setzer's good.

Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, Jeff Healey, Charlie Daniels, Pure Prairie League, Eagles.

Music that took skill, sweat, and heart to make.

The very first concert I ever went to was Charlie Daniels opening for Grand Funk Railroad.  And then, there was Charlie Daniels still twanging his fiddle on one of those news that I watch the other day.  Playing on their stage in NYC.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 01:07:17 AM »
I am not going to kid you Joe but I do not know all that stuff about who is who and what is what.  I only know some of the names.  I do like kicking back and listening to some of it and usually not even know who it is.  Yeah, some of the jazz too.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:18:10 AM »
Pushing 60 and have never been to a live concert.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:09:24 AM »
I have not gone to all that many live concerts.  Just back when a ticket was USD 5.00 at the Coliseum.  Maybe 3 others afterward when ticket prices started skyrocketing.  Never paid more than maybe 12 bucks each.  One time I had a date with a female sailor when the tickets were $6.00 for ELO.  We were in between carrier quals and a cruise so we were back at the base for a few weeks so I was staying in the barracks.  Fell asleep in my rack and when I woke up, the concert was half over and about 45 minutes away.  I don't know why she got mad at me but she did.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:15 PM »
Guess I'm the weirdo hippie in the group. Been to well over a hundred concerts, saw a majority of the big names of the 70s, 80s early 90s including the Who who put one hell of a live show on. Love the three day summer festivals, last I went to was Bonnaroo in 2012.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 12:11:10 AM »
I probably saw you with the rest of the hippies going over the Shawangunk Mtn through Wurtsboro on your way to Woodstock in '69.  I was riding with my uncle up and down Highway 17, as best as we could maneuver through the bumper to bumper traffic, looking for flat tires to make some bucks off for changing it.  Not too many of them knew how to turn a lug wrench.  I did not go up to Woodstock as I was still in high school and might not have gone anyway.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog