Author Topic: New long stay 6 month visa  (Read 8371 times)

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: New long stay 6 month visa
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 09:17:52 AM »
It appears the prices have gone up some too. When I went to extend last week it seemed that the cost was over a 1000php more than normal. There was any add ons like ACR or anything like that. I didn't question it because one way or the other you still have to pay if you want to play here.

There is a P1,000 Alien Certificate of Registration fee that is only paid once per year.

There is a P1,400 Certificate of Residence for Temporary Visitors fee that is only paid once per year.

Was one of those fees included this time?

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
I went to get my 6 month extension about a month ago. Tugeguerao office of BI. They were very nice, but only gave me 2 more months, because I got an extension at the airport in Manila. My card is ready for pick up, but it is 5 hours drive. I will go back and get my card, and apply for 6 months this time. It was 9000php this time, but I was assured that it would only be 4000php next time???
Different rules in each town with a BI ???

Corruption is still alive and well here. I have 4 boxes being held hostage in Manila by Foerx. They want 26000php to deliver???

Anyone know how to report these people? I am sick of the corruption here. It is rampant!! The new President should look at the small businesses that steal from us Americans here. Nothing I can do but pay because I do not have an AK47???
Sacalait

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 10:52:54 PM »
Scott,
Sorry to read all about your diificulties and frustrations involving your visa extension, the 6 hr drive and with Customs. You just have to go with the flow and have patience or it will just eat up your sanity and or blow your cool that can be hazardous to your health and well being.
Calm yourself and take care. Cheers! Have a cold one on me!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »
I went to get my 6 month extension about a month ago. Tugeguerao office of BI. They were very nice, but only gave me 2 more months, because I got an extension at the airport in Manila. My card is ready for pick up, but it is 5 hours drive. I will go back and get my card, and apply for 6 months this time. It was 9000php this time, but I was assured that it would only be 4000php next time???

Corruption is still alive and well here. I have 4 boxes being held hostage in Manila by Foerx. They want 26000php to deliver???

Anyone know how to report these people? I am sick of the corruption here. It is rampant!! The new President should look at the small businesses that steal from us Americans here. Nothing I can do but pay because I do not have an AK47???
Sacalait

Scott, the visa is a non issue, it is you and your lady who picked to live so far away from an immigration office, thus you have to travel to one until such times as it might be worth it to the BI to put an office in your area, that may never happen if there are not a lot of foreigners living there.

As far as them not having items such as card ready on time, the Philippines is a third world country, some say it is a developing country but if that were true then why are they not developing to at the very least trying with simple items such as having cards and car plate available at the time or them being paid for. It is more fun in the Philippines but we all have to have a lot of patience to live there.

As for the p26,000 tax fee, that is not necessarily a rip off or corruption, it will depend on what you sent and the fact that you sent 4 boxes together, is what probably triggered the audit and if you did not send them to Juliet's name, a Filipino name, will also trigger a possible audit.
  WHAT ARE ALLOWED IN “BALIKBAYAN BOXES”?

Non-commercial goods or goods not in commercial quantity strictly for personal use only, such as: wearing apparel, clothing, foodstuffs/grocery items/canned goods; the value of which must not exceed US$500.00 and each sender is only allowed to send one (1) box during a six (6) month period.

Canned goods, grocery items and household effects must not exceed a dozen of each kind, while apparel, whether used or new must not exceed 3 yards for each cut.

Home appliances are not allowed unless these are consigned to returning Filipino residents and overseas workers.

The US$500.00 amount as mentioned above is based on a conversion rate of $1=Php 7 or P3,500.00 when the Presidential decree from President Ferdinand Marcos was issued which is subsequently raised to P10,000.00 as mentioned by Customs Chief Alberto Lina in one of his TV interviews.

For me, this amount is too obsolete compared to the prices of goods nowadays.
ARE BALIKABAYAN BOXES TAXABLE?

Balikbayan box is for shipping personal goods only and is not taxable with some amount limitations as mentioned above which is Php 10,000.00.  Philippine customs may impose customs duty if they inspect your box and feel that your items are intended for resale. Electronic items and appliances are taxable. The recipient is responsible for paying customs duties.

As quoted in ANC’s Headstart interview with the Customs Chief,

“Overseas Filipinos can list the items and present it to a broker, which will present the list to Customs. Lina, however, noted that brokers and freight forwarders do not submit these lists to Customs “so they would not have to pay duties and taxes.”

“[If you live abroad], you can bring anything but you will be taxed. There is no exemption. If you are a balikbayan with the intention of coming back to our country, with your passport and everything, like people who have studied abroad or returning OFWs, these are the only people given the privilege to bring in goods and that will not be taxed if the value of the goods is P10,000 and below,” he said.
http://pinoy-canada.com/articles/allowed-balikbayan-boxes-supposed-taxed/
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 06:09:17 AM »

Scott,
Where and who informed you the cost of the long stay visa you wrote in your post?
Rules and costs do not change from place to place.

http://tinyurl.com/ox8hdh2

For Visa-required nationals - it shows it costs P13,900.00 for 6 months

Who can apply?

All temporary visitors, regardless of nationality and not otherwise disqualified, who wish to extend his/her tourist visa during the last thirty (30) days of the previously issued LSVVE, or upon the expiry of a regular visa extension.  The total duration of extension shall be not more than six (6) months from the time of expiration of authorized stay. 

Where to apply?  BI Main Office (not certain if location has changed)

"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
The following list on the BI website does not show the office you used as being authorized to process the Long Stay Visa, the list was current as of Dec 2016.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/DirectoryOfTransactions/2016Dec12_DirectoryOfTransactions.pdf

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
Thanks to all here who give great advice!!!!

No matter what,,,I still love it here!! Much better than sitting behind a desk in Houston.

Sacalait

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »
IMHO Lee you will always have the ones who will turn up their noses at the foreigner. All in all, I think the government realizes that foreigners in general (not only expats) spend a hell of a lot of money here. They understand they will be shooting themselves in the foot if they continue making it too hard on visitors.

Spot on. Well done Phils in recognizing that *every* foreigner in Phils is a net contributor. Now, if only places like Thailand could figure that out too...
Living in the UK. Retiring early in 2018 - possibly to Philippines.

Offline D. Williams

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 10:11:34 PM »
I split off some posts to a new topic please lets try to keep this topic on the 6 month long stay visa. Thank you in advance

Offline jwillwon3

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 05:17:23 AM »
I was in Cebu 6 months last year and this year, back home in May. We live in southern Cebu and driving to Cebu city to the BI is a strain on me. I prefer to put my clunker car on the 30 minute ferry to Dumaguete. The BI there is getting crowded now and you must return in the afternoon to complete your visit. What can be done in Cebu city at the BI can not be done in the Dumaguete office..................go figure ! Third world country is so true. I wish I knew why it is so difficult to understand a simple thing, ie... Common Sense is UNCOMMON ! After 6 months there, I can not wait to get back to the US. Snow falls I come back to the Philippines !

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 10:53:03 PM »
I was in Cebu 6 months last year and this year, back home in May. We live in southern Cebu and driving to Cebu city to the BI is a strain on me. I prefer to put my clunker car on the 30 minute ferry to Dumaguete. The BI there is getting crowded now and you must return in the afternoon to complete your visit. What can be done in Cebu city at the BI can not be done in the Dumaguete office..................go figure ! Third world country is so true. I wish I knew why it is so difficult to understand a simple thing, ie... Common Sense is UNCOMMON ! After 6 months there, I can not wait to get back to the US. Snow falls I come back to the Philippines !

Where you from guy?  Your other place?  Maybe there is someone here who knows somewhere  closer to there and south of there so that you would have another option when it comes snow time.  That way things could be easier on you with you not have to endure the rigors of the Philippines.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 12:30:27 AM »
I only had to use the Cebu office in the mall once and that was for the exit visa.  I had no problem with them.  After my first two visits to immigration I bought a "messenger bag" just for all my immigration needs.  Not a big one.  Probably 12 inches by 8 inches and I keep everything(copies of passport and other such things, pictures, and before I go put all my ID/Wallet and passport and all) in it.  Since then I just go into the immigration office knowing that most likely(so far every time) I have more than I need to get everything done. 

I think it took me about 3 hours and part of that was due to lunch breaks many of the workers were taking and I took mine also at that time.  I had to stay much longer my first year here just for extensions at the Calbayog and Tacloban offices. 

I heard worse stories of the offices in Manila.  Cebu office doesn't bother me at all.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog