Author Topic: Question about Renting  (Read 2245 times)

Offline earthling

Question about Renting
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »
Hi there, I have a friend who's planning to rent a condo here in the Philippines and she asked me if there is a need for her to register as a legit resident here in the Philippines, hope you guys can help thank you!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Question about Renting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »
Hi there, I have a friend who's planning to rent a condo here in the Philippines and she asked me if there is a need for her to register as a legit resident here in the Philippines, hope you guys can help thank you!
If she is not a Filipino then the person or company who rents to her usually requires a copy of her passport, visa and or possibly ACR card, and if she is Filipino then some form of govt id, otherwise I do not know of any registration. Of course each condo may have different rules, I know that to get electric turned on in our condo it required a Barangay clearance but that is usually not an issue renters have to deal with.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »
Hi all,

One thing to keep in mind when renting a residence, condo, apartment, house, etc, is that most landlords require post dated cheques. This requires the renter to have a local bank account, with a chequing account.

From my own experience here, a lot of banks will not give anyone a chequing account until after having a regular savings or ATM account with the institution for 6 months.

Sometimes a bank manager will give new account holders a chequing account right away, but this seems to be the exception rather then the normal thing here.

Thanks
Thomas

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
Hi all,

One thing to keep in mind when renting a residence, condo, apartment, house, etc, is that most landlords require post dated cheques. This requires the renter to have a local bank account, with a chequing account.

From my own experience here, a lot of banks will not give anyone a chequing account until after having a regular savings or ATM account with the institution for 6 months.

Sometimes a bank manager will give new account holders a chequing account right away, but this seems to be the exception rather then the normal thing here.

Thanks
Thomas

While I agree it does depend on the manager the amount of deposit to the account, age, etc., all play a factor in his decision.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
I am still wrapping my brain around the "legit resident" part.
Were they planning on staying here under other than a legitimate terms?    Or are you asking if they should try to be come a permanent resident?   

Offline earthling

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
Thank you to everyone who helped.

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 11:00:48 AM »
I am still wrapping my brain around the "legit resident" part.
Were they planning on staying here under other than a legitimate terms?    Or are you asking if they should try to be come a permanent resident?
Most people, at least Westerners, that stay long-term are not legit residents. Many stay on tourist visas.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
Most people, at least Westerners, that stay long-term are not legit residents. Many stay on tourist visas.

Being a Westerner I disagree with your statement. I have been here since June 2010 on 9a and BB.  After 60 days in the Philippines people on tourist visas are required to get an ACR and pay for the annual report during their extension in Jan/Feb.  While you may not consider them "legit residents" it appears the government does. They may not be considered "permanent residents", but the are legitimate residents.  I personally have ACR/Philippine Drivers License/Utilities in my name/bank accounts/car title and am on the house title being married to my asawa. 

res∑i∑dent
ˈrez(ə)dənt/Submit
noun
a person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis.
synonyms:   inhabitant, local, citizen, native; More

Chuck

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:21 AM »
Being a Westerner I disagree with your statement. I have been here since June 2010 on 9a and BB.  After 60 days in the Philippines people on tourist visas are required to get an ACR and pay for the annual report during their extension in Jan/Feb.  While you may not consider them "legit residents" it appears the government does. They may not be considered "permanent residents", but the are legitimate residents.  I personally have ACR/Philippine Drivers License/Utilities in my name/bank accounts/car title and am on the house title being married to my asawa. 

res∑i∑dent
ˈrez(ə)dənt/Submit
noun
a person who lives somewhere permanently or on a long-term basis.
synonyms:   inhabitant, local, citizen, native; More

Chuck
Neither 9a nor BB are legal Residency.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:09:15 AM »
Neither 9a nor BB are legal Residency.

They are legal residency but they are not permanent residency as are the 13a, 13g or SRRV.

Chuck

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:18:49 AM »
LoL.  Starting to have one of those amusing times here.
Whatever floats your boat.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog