Author Topic: Security at Home  (Read 1384 times)

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Security at Home
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 01:12:23 PM »
+1 on the concrete roof idea,  for lots of reasons.

Yolanda(super typhoon 2013 ) took our attic (that is now a concrete roof) at our beach house.  Suggest to use steel decking under the concrete.  The link from M.C.A looks really good.  But use the steel decking under it.  Make sure to have a stairs to the roof.  Then can have a waiting shed there to protect from the rain or sun.  The roof access of course needs a locked secure door also.

If a storm takes the roof,  then no security at all until fixed..

Fastwalk, you're blessed with a conrete roof, I too lost my roof to Typhoon Glenda but I don't have the funds for a concrete roof yet, I might need to do this little by little, my roof was put back on with the old materials and some we bought, the wood is rotten in many areas and the metal roofing is junk now, holes everywhere, inlaws got our best roofing, they stacked it up right next to their shacks... Lol, real wake up call for my wife thank God and she's finally onboard and no longer a wannabe Mother Teresa, she finally seen her family for what they are, same with the neighbors... so ambitious for expensive work.   >:(

JD your location just off a planned neighborhood is an even better location.   :)

My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »
After the Nisqually (Washington State) quake in 2000, I began keeping a store of food and water in our condo in Seattle. Seemed prudent. Although we're not in the typhoon path down here in Davao, we're at the mercy of earthquakes like everyone else. It seems prudent to keep extra canned good and such on hand in case the SHTF. Eventually, it probably will.

The aftermath of a serious Typhoon leaves the shelves bare of descent tasting canned foods and all that's left is sardines, so corn beef and spam at the top of that list for sure, hoarding is a real concern, another issue is infrastructure and electricity, you have money but in the form of plastic forget it. 

After Typhoon Glenda and the loss of my roof, all my available money was going to roof repairs and I couldn't use the plastic real embarrassing... I had to leave my cart at the counter, but I did have some chickens and goats I had been raising the got us through till the roof was on and the internet working for credit card or debit charges, banks also had issues, no internet they hold your bank book, you need to return another day to pick it up.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Typhoon Glenda

I empathize.  I am a disaster magnet.  Storms seem to hunt us down. 

When I was a kid the house burned down.  Then tornado's took it ...... twice.  I rode hurricane Hugo across the Atlantic in a FFG.  Circled offshore while it creamed our home port of Charleston.  Then cleaned up. 

We were hit 4 times by cat 4/5 cyclones in 7 years in Samoa.  Lost the roof 3 times.  Enjoyed a couple of 8+ earthquakes and got to surf one of the resulting tsunami's in my Ford Ranger. 

Then there is the "people" troubles that always follow these things.

Main reason we built our Most earth-bag dome.  It was the most disaster proof structure I could find.

Most B.F.A.'s think  we stock because we are afraid.  Not so.  We prep because we are experienced.

A "conservative" is a liberal that has been mugged.  And a "prepper" is a conservative that's been mugged.  ;-)

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
+1 on the concrete roof idea,  for lots of reasons.

Yolanda(super typhoon 2013 ) took our attic (that is now a concrete roof) at our beach house.  Suggest to use steel decking under the concrete.  The link from M.C.A looks really good.  But use the steel decking under it.  Make sure to have a stairs to the roof.  Then can have a waiting shed there to protect from the rain or sun.  The roof access of course needs a locked secure door also.

If a storm takes the roof,  then no security at all until fixed..

Sorry to hear that your property sustained damage from the typhoon. What do you mean by steel decking? It must have another name where I am from. I was thinking about using hardwood planks underneath the concrete roof to make it look pretty from the inside... but I dunno whether they would do much in terms of supporting it.
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
Here is a great link, it identifies American deaths by a time period in the Philippines.
in 2016 there were 8 Americans murdered in the Philippines.   Best data I can find is there are over 250,000 Americans living in the Philippines (does anybody have better data).   And that does not count visitors.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/statistics/deaths.html

I wish I could find a site that included all expats.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
now I am seeing numbers closer to 30,000 americans living in the Philippines, this 'seems' more accurate.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
I did the math using 30,000 Americans.

If you were an American living in the Philippines in 2016 you had a 0.026666666666667% chance of being murdered.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that your property sustained damage from the typhoon. What do you mean by steel decking? It must have another name where I am from. I was thinking about using hardwood planks underneath the concrete roof to make it look pretty from the inside... but I dunno whether they would do much in terms of supporting it.

It's no different than modern buildings anywhere. I snagged this off of the interwebs:

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »
It's no different than modern buildings anywhere. I snagged this off of the interwebs:

Thanks!
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog