Author Topic: New member FRaymie and some info on Tricare  (Read 1063 times)

Offline FRaymie

Re: New member FRaymie and some info on Tricare
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
Any chance you bought and in-law a fishing boat named Sparty?  I belong to another forum for a completely unrelated subject/site and talked to a member retiring to Eastern Samar also.  I live in Northern Samar.

The first year might be more of an adventure than if you were in a place like Cebu City or Manila.  Finding the nearest immigration office and setting the ground rules for your in-laws and just getting use to the local area and what will be entertainment for you and all.

Wish you the best of luck.
Thanks Joel. No inlaws with boats. Looking forward to the move. thanks for the info and I'll use it. Look forward to talking to you and maybe meet you in person one of these days. Thanks again.

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »
Welcome!

If I was to move to the Philippines all over again, I would not spend a lot of money on a house (although you did say you already have one), or on setting myself up permanently until I had lived in the area for a year or so. I have found I have a few family related issues with living where we are, but don't yet have the finances to relocate and build from the ground up again.

I would probably also choose an area where there are a fair few other foreigners, as life can get a bit lonely and I miss conversations in English. Having a strong internet signal would be nice, as well as a supermarket that sells foreigner food.

Just a few things to think about - nevertheless an exciting time for you to be starting a new life here!
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline FRaymie

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 05:42:13 AM »
Welcome!

If I was to move to the Philippines all over again, I would not spend a lot of money on a house (although you did say you already have one), or on setting myself up permanently until I had lived in the area for a year or so. I have found I have a few family related issues with living where we are, but don't yet have the finances to relocate and build from the ground up again.

I would probably also choose an area where there are a fair few other foreigners, as life can get a bit lonely and I miss conversations in English. Having a strong internet signal would be nice, as well as a supermarket that sells foreigner food.

Just a few things to think about - nevertheless an exciting time for you to be starting a new life here!
Thanks a million for the info. As you noted, we're making the move permanent but we're somewhat acclimated. We built the home in 2006 and have spent extended periods over the years (although none have been more than 8 weeks). I don't know of any family issues, but you are correct, they can come out of no where. You made some great observations. Thanks again. These items will help me a lot.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
You will have fun with other foreigners.  What I mean is choosing the ones to hang with and which to avoid. 

Between Catarman and Babon(neighboring municipality) there are a fair number of foreigners.  But only around 4 of them do I do anything with.

You will find some foreigners that chose to move here but do nothing but complain.  Then there is another group that is just as bad as the girls in gossip and drama.  Then there are the ones that came to live and have fun and enjoy life.  Hope of find a lot in that last group.  I found to former USAF retirees and a scot and a couple Aussies that all are seeking to have fun and enjoy life here. 

Best of luck on that.  You're sorta stuck with who is in the area and I hope there are some of that last group in your area.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline FRaymie

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 12:03:12 AM »
Great insight. I consider myself in the 'live, fun and enjoy life' group so looking forward to finding some like thinkers. Thanks again.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog