Author Topic: How reliable is your water?  (Read 283 times)

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
How reliable is your water?
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:12:35 AM »
As we know, not all households in the Philippines have access to running water, and where this exists, sometimes it just doesn't come out of the tap due to rationing or a host of other reasons.

What is it like where you are?

We connected to our barangay's water service which is basically bore water. It was ok in the beginning but I think more and more households are connecting to the same line and the time that we have no water available is increasing.

We are looking at a few possibilities. I favor catching rain off the roof into a big tank and using that for drinking water, cooking and washing plates.  We could also dig our own well here and put a pump on it (which isn't the cheapest option), but I am getting a bit sick of dealing with hard water stains in the CR and the other drawbacks of using water with a lot of natural minerals in it.

What have you come up with at your place that works?
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: How reliable is your water?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
We have a well that can be both hand pumped and we also have the electric pump/pressure tank set up.  Our neighbor across the street has the "city water" hook up.  When there is no power it's worthless.  This is true for us also, until we turn on the generator...then we have it again. 

But, as what you mention, there are areas in town where due to just too many people hooked to the water network that at times just do not get water.  Those areas are all near the public market.  So the other side of town and such has had tina's family interested in hooking that water up to their building.  Will be interesting to see how strong it stays on a consistent basis as the neighbors stated that while they have always had water pressure/water...at times it does get weak during the peaks of dry season.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 03:49:04 PM »
No problem whatsoever here in Gingoog. I only drink and cook with distilled water delivered to the house. 20KM away there were 400 ill and two dead from town water last week.

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
This morning I did some interesting reading on the safety of bore water:

http://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Bore-water

A simple google search revealed that all kinds of health concerns can be associated with using bore water that is not up to scratch.
I heard from a reputable source that many of the public water sources in at least rural areas do not pass safety standards.

Might be something to think about before you use untreated bore water in your home.

Somehow after reading this I think I am going to go with the rainwater option!
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:24:29 PM »
No problem whatsoever here in Gingoog. I only drink and cook with distilled water delivered to the house. 20KM away there were 400 ill and two dead from town water last week.

Probably a good idea, but I think you mean mineral water not distilled water.
Is the water that you buy bottled mineral water, or produced locally in one of the water distribution plants?
Londoner at heart

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »
Probably a good idea, but I think you mean mineral water not distilled water.
Is the water that you buy bottled mineral water, or produced locally in one of the water distribution plants?
Never had a problem in 4 years here in Tagaytay.   We do get the distilled water, however, the tap water is checked once a year and is good.   I use it to make coffee, brush my teeth, make ice etc.   No problems here whatsoever.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »
I use the tap water in Cebu City to brush my teeth and the wife uses it for cooking but otherwise we drink only bottled water.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:03 PM »
We are looking at a few possibilities. I favor catching rain off the roof into a big tank and using that for drinking water, cooking and washing plates.  We could also dig our own well here and put a pump on it (which isn't the cheapest option), but I am getting a bit sick of dealing with hard water stains in the CR and the other drawbacks of using water with a lot of natural minerals in it.

What have you come up with at your place that works?
I do not know where you live but filtered water is very inexpensive.  A 2.5 gallons cost 30 pesos and they deliver to my residence. Water refilling stations (as what they called) are all over the place including the provinces.  I do not use tap water for cooking and drinking although our water is pretty good (except for the pressure during the day).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:59:27 PM by balutsky »

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:08:34 AM »
Our drinking water we have delivered. We use the old school 5 gallon jugs and put them on the drink dispenser with hot and cold options.  Same things that are used in most offices, ore use to at a time.  Ours is just not as big as it sits on a counter and isn't free standing.

Been going with that for 4 years and no problems.  Tina's aunt is the manager for a local business woman who has 2 water purifying stations and 2 other retail stores.  Anyway, 40 php gets us the 5 gallon jugs and we use them for pretty much everything short of laundry and shower.

BTW, both distilled and purified(filter and reverse osmosis) are available from them(each store uses one or the other of those).  I usually go with the RO but Tina prefers the purified.  So we get a healthy mix of them.  We are in a provincial capital, but not a big one and there are at lest 30 water purification stores here.  Maybe this is above average, I do not know.  But we could, if needed just walk down our street to a newly built one a few months ago or just around the corner to one that's been in place at least since I arrived here 4 years ago.  They are everywhere here.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
How reliable is your water?
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 04:50:40 AM »
Water is one of those things we were forced to learn about.  As I mentioned earlier, my sweetie almost died because of public water incompetence.  We lost a large investment due to tap water being marketed as distilled.

We have known that we were going to retire to the RP since the late '90's.  And worked to that end for a couple of decades.  Please don't get all "up in arms" because our methods are ........... extensive.  Clean water is one of those things you just CAN NOT do without.

First thing we did was put in a DEEP "deep-well".  Our bore-hole lining is 4" stainless steel.  We sank a Grundfos submersible pump.  And capped the head with a Mano-Mano Pricher pump in case the power goes out.  This feeds a 30' tower for gravity feed.  We get about 30 psi.

Water quality ...... lots of things to be wary of.  Industrial, Urban, or farm leeching.  Septic bleed over.  Biologicals.

For us .... our well head is far from bad sources.  Anything within 300 or so feet is sure to corrupt your well.  Sewage moves though the ground differently during dry and wet seasons.  The two conditions together act as sort of an underground "pump".  Be aware that the filth from a open bottom septic system, (commonly in use here), can travel a LOT further than you think it can.

Water for internal consumption we process.  And NO the distilled/bottled water you buy is not what it claims to be.  Out of 50 gallons you may get 49 that are up to spec.  But that 50th can do you in.  I have tested so much water I am sick of it.

We first filter the water with a Big Berkey filter.  Then we distill it with a AquaPure MD4.  If I am going to use this water for batteries or store it,  I then boil it for 30 minutes and package it hot into Mason jars.  When it cools it vacuum seals.

We test for total dissolved solids with an E.C. meter.  These are commonly available but they are inaccurate after a while and need to be re-calibrated.   So if you go this route buy the cleaning and calibration fluids that are recommended.

We also test for Chlorine and measure the PH.  No the "Alkaline" water you buy from the kiosk is not alkaline. I tested some once just to prove a point.  A standard pool test kit is fine.  These kits have a shelf life.  So don't expect it to last forever.

What we do will probably bunch up some folks skivvies.   But watch your beloved drop 40 pounds of body weight, (she only weighed 100 to begin with), because some moron thought 50 grams of chlorine per gallon must be better than .5.  That will teach you a real lesson.

Hope this helps.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 07:17:27 AM »

What we do will probably bunch up some folks skivvies.   But watch your beloved drop 40 pounds of body weight, (she only weighed 100 to begin with), because some moron thought 50 grams of chlorine per gallon must be better than .5.  That will teach you a real lesson.

Hope this helps.

Probably would do the same,  in case of the same problem to happen (sounds scary). 

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
Been drinking the tap water here in Manila five years now. I know it's treated as you can smell the chlorine especially first thing in the morning. I let it run a minute or two to flush the lines a little and get it circulating before drinking. Haven't had any problems that I'm aware but who knows it might cause cancer in 10 years and I'll be in my seventies so not much of an issue. I would like to get it checked and I've heard you can take a jar and have sampled for free but I don't know where that is. 

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
Been drinking the tap water here in Manila five years now. I know it's treated as you can smell the chlorine especially first thing in the morning. I let it run a minute or two to flush the lines a little and get it circulating before drinking. Haven't had any problems that I'm aware but who knows it might cause cancer in 10 years and I'll be in my seventies so not much of an issue.
I love your positive outlook.  This makes my day.  I'm not being sarcastic either.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
We use well water with a manual and an electric pump and the costs will be roughly 5000 peso's to drill the hole and 2,500 pesos for a manual pump (outside use mainly but?) and we have a quality electric pump and it's close to 10,000 pesos made in Italy these pumps are refurbished and can be reworked then the tank is anywhere from 5,000-10,000 for small to medium sized then add the cost of the tubing whether it be steel or plastic, we use steel because the water is used mainly for washing, we get our water delivered or filtered water delivered 25 pesos each and use a hot and cold dispenser.

First time I experienced the public water was in Subic Bay and it was terrible the water was on during certain hours and at times came out initially green in color.  We have no option for public water if we did I would get it because it's only 500 pesos a month, maybe within a few years it will be an option on our side of the road, actually we've never enquired so that's something we need to check out.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:29:02 AM »
Our friends have a water shop and we get 5-liter polycarbonate jugs of water from them to drink. It's pretty bland, though.

We have a Brita filter pitcher we run tap water into for the coffee and tea water.

I've had the water here in Davao and am still here to tell about it. The water dept. is doing a lot of new pipe laying right now, though, so I try not to drink from the tap. The aerators clog up every once in a while with dirt and etc.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog