Author Topic: Marriott in Cebu closing to become Ayala Seda Hotel  (Read 187 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Marriott in Cebu closing to become Ayala Seda Hotel
« on: December 16, 2017, 09:10:39 PM »
Ayala will be putting their own hotel where the Marriott next to Ayala Mall now is and I believe a Seda Hotel will also be built in IT Park.
https://business.mb.com.ph/2017/10/13/seda-brand-to-replace-alis-marriott-in-cebu/
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Brisbane

Re: Marriott in Cebu closing to become Ayala Seda Hotel
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:29:27 PM »
Ayala will be putting their own hotel where the Marriott next to Ayala Mall now is and I believe a Seda Hotel will also be built in IT Park.
https://business.mb.com.ph/2017/10/13/seda-brand-to-replace-alis-marriott-in-cebu/
The new Ayala mall in the IT park will have a 220 or 240 room hotel if I recall correctly. Makes sense that it will be a Seda. I would say still a few years away from completion but seems to be progressing quite fast now.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 02:00:58 AM »
The new Ayala mall in the IT park will have a 220 or 240 room hotel if I recall correctly. Makes sense that it will be a Seda. I would say still a few years away from completion but seems to be progressing quite fast now.
Thank you for the information Tom, there is nothing as good as boots on the ground, to get real up to date information. thumbs up
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:51:25 PM »
I'm sure they know what they are doing.  And with all the 3rd party sites now days, what I'm about to say probably doesn't matter anymore.
After I was done in the corporate world I was a manager of a hotel for a couple years before everything was set for me to move here.  I worked, funny enough, at a Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites.  Even at that time(2011-2013) the name was huge.  The company I worked for owned over 400 hotels across the USA, but every single one wore a Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn or Wyndham name somewhere in it(they did not like Choice for whatever reason). 
Thus business(like Fairfield) long term(they had a Hilton Homewood Suites right next door to the hotel I was working in), economy or what ever class was always a member of those because it saved on advertisement big time.  Add to that that many had membership to one of those major brands and cards to earn pts and all that.
Now, I only dealt with hotel work in the middle of the USA and rarely got people from overseas to show up.  So, again, with the evolving involvement of 3rd party companies(booking/travelocity/etc) and this being more of an international setup, what do I know.  Still, I wonder if their ending their contract with Marriott was the best thing.  Unless there is another Marriott in Cebu, probably not.  Too lazy to look to see if there is also. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »
Still, I wonder if their ending their contract with Marriott was the best thing.  Unless there is another Marriott in Cebu, probably not.  Too lazy to look to see if there is also.
That was the only Marriott in Cebu City and I suspect Ayala ended the contract since they are now in the hotel business too. A few years ago when I was visiting Cagayan de Oro, I saw their new mall and it included an Ayala  hotel of their own named Seda, so now I suspect that as time goes on, we will see Seda hotels attached to a bunch of Ayala Malls, if not all of them.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 11:16:48 PM »
That was the only Marriott in Cebu City and I suspect Ayala ended the contract since they are now in the hotel business too. A few years ago when I was visiting Cagayan de Oro, I saw their new mall and it included an Ayala  hotel of their own named Seda, so now I suspect that as time goes on, we will see Seda hotels attached to a bunch of Ayala Malls, if not all of them.
This might sound stupid, but was the Marriott the only Marriott in Cebu?  When I was with Marriott it was in their Fairfield Inn and Suites division.  They also have everything from the JW Marriott hotels to Residence Inn, La Meridien, Ritz-Carlton, W, Springfield, Courtyard and more.  Also had some strange arrangements with other chains.  The Marriot rewards card/accounts work with every Marriott brand chain.  Only reason I am asking is if a Marriott rewards customer looks up Marriott hotels in the Cebu, they all show up.  And if there is one, no matter the brand, chances are the Marriott rewards customer will choose that over the Alaya hotel.
I know that there is a Residence Inn next to the Airport in Manila.  When I first arrived here to live back in 2013, Tina and I stayed there.  My rewards/employee card was still good and I got the full 1 bed suite for $35/night while we hung in Manila before heading to Catarman. 
If none of those Marriott associated brands are in Cebu, then good move for Alaya.  Probably a good move anyway again, because of the deals offered through Agoda and the other sites setup now.  Been out of it 4 years now and things change fast in the hotel industry.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:06:25 AM »
This might sound stupid, but was the Marriott the only Marriott in Cebu? 
Yes, as far as I know there has never been another Marriott in Cebu besides that one that was next to Ayala Mall. Nila and I stayed there once years ago before we bought our own condo in the city which was over 10 years ago, otherwise we usually opt for pension houses since we are only in them to sleep and we have always stayed for long stays, so it could get pretty expensive in hotels, and even longer stays once I completely retired in 2003 at the age of 55.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog