Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Announcements and Information / Re: where did everyone go?
« Last post by Peter on Today at 11:02:03 AM »

I have nothing to back this up, but I believe every isp in our area are using the same internet wires that come to Catarman from where ever they come from.  Can't even get a straight answer on that.  Have some techs say it comes directly from Calbayog City via Lupe De Vega and another saying it comes from Calbayog via Allen/Victoria.  But it seems that it's almost a sure thing that when one of the isp here have an issue, they all have issues.

Joel,

(Perhaps this should be on the Internet board.)

That's the main problem, not only here but in a lot of countries, when the internet backbone is shared by 2 or more ISPs. Almost like a garden hose with more sprinklers on it than it can handle so the less 'pressure" each outlet gets. So when the backbone has problems, they all have problems.

I do find it surprising though, that the "techs" do not know how the routing is configured. There are many, many, mobile apps, free as well as at cost, just for this.

I use an android app <IP Tools> in conjunction with <In Trace>, both free, on my tablet

'IP Tools' is a set of tools, one of which is an IP tracing function, similar to a ping, logging the location of each hop.
'In Trace', it's 'sister' app., shows the route locations on a Goggle-type map.
Inputting the IP addresses logged from "IP Tools' (or any other ping programme) to "In Trace", you'll see the location.

eg. Using the above, a trace to 210.213.130.162 (PLDT Dilman) I see on the map, the route goes via 119.94.64.1 (Makati) and 122.2.175.190 (Mandaluyong City).
You may want to do something similar from your location to see how, wnad where, it goes.

A simple process, which is why I'm very surprised at the lack of knowledge of your local techs.
Or maybe not, as the PLDT installation guys who came to us, were surprised to see that I had "WiFi Monitor" app. on my phone, so I could walk around the house seeing what the wifi signal strength was in each room. They hadn't seen anything like it   :( :( :(

HTHs.

Peter
« Last post by JoeLP on Today at 09:21:50 AM »
Joel.

A bit of a coincidence that you're suffering from slow downloads. So it may be worth seeing what your ISP is doing, as a couple of weeks ago (28 September) our Smart home WiFi went overnight from acceptable to 'can't even access their own account log in page'. I could only get Gmail, but nothing else. All pages were timing out and "pings" came back unreachable! Really, really frustrating. >:(

As the contract was due renewal on 6 October and we were considering going PLDT fiber, we went that same day (Friday) to the PLDT office to ask about their cable/fiber plans. As PLDT and Smart are interrelated, the PLDT manager was able to look up our Smart account, then told us that all the "All-In" plans with 9 number accounts (starting with 101xxxxxx and  we've had it for over 10 years) were being discontinued. No notice, just run down the bandwidth and grind to a stop!!!

Signed up there and then for a PLDT Home account. In my name as the wife had only one ID with her and they needed two. They accepted my ACR-Icard and Philippines' driving license as residential and identity proof.

This was Friday late afternoon. The following Tuesday morning, the techs arrived and installed the drop cable from the consumer unit on the pole about 50 metres away. They mounted an optical interface box on the wall next to my computer desk, then switched on the network unit (a posh router  :) ) and 2 minutes later I was connected to the internet! Took less than an hour, start to finish. A very neat and tidy installation.  :)

Old Smart contract was 1,499 a month (originally 999 pm, but it went up over the years) with pretty slow speed measured in Kbs, but with "unlimited" downloads.

We went for the  PLDT home fiber Plan 1699, which is only PhP 200 more a month than what we were paying for Smart home wifi. This gives us (up to) 15Mbps, with a cap of 150 Gb monthly downloads.  According to OOKLA a few minutes ago, we're getting around 8 mbps up and down, measured to a BT hub in Lancashire, UK.

Peter
We have globe and smart here.  But PLDT is merged with Smart as you say.  But before that happened not to long ago, we had all three.  Here, PLDT and Smart really did merge so it's only Smart now. 
Anyway, no fiber.  If there was I would have changed yesterday.  One of our neighbors works for Globe(they have the best connection where we live) and keeps us up to date with all that is going on.
What sucks for us is PLDT was on the cusp of bringing us fiber, then the merge happened.  GRRRRR.  Anyway, I guess we must still wait.  From our friends a block behind where we live(and use Smart) they are having the same issues as we are.  Even the closest net cafe is having those issues and they use the wireless smart setup. 
I have nothing to back this up, but I believe every isp in our area are using the same internet wires that come to Catarman from where ever they come from.  Can't even get a straight answer on that.  Have some techs say it comes directly from Calbayog City via Lupe De Vega and another saying it comes from Calbayog via Allen/Victoria.  But it seems that it's almost a sure thing that when one of the isp here have an issue, they all have issues.
« Last post by Lee2 on October 16, 2018, 09:54:04 PM »
keep up the good work !!
Thank you to all who keep reading and posting from time to time, I and the other peace keepers keep trying to keep the peace and keep the forum running as smoothly as possible for you all....
Expat life in Philippines / Re: How much do you need to live in philippines ?
« Last post by Big Jim on October 16, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »
As many have mentioned, it depends very much on the lifestyle etc etc.  I could not manage on your figures.  My medical health insurance alone is P18,000 per month.
I have an annual travel insurance policy. Has coverage for my pre existing illness. Unlimited medical expenses. Unlimited medical evacuation and repatriation costs. AUD $950 for a year. Or about P3100 per month.
Expat life in Philippines / Re: How much do you need to live in philippines ?
« Last post by David690 on October 16, 2018, 05:40:06 PM »
The apartment is 2 storey 2 bedroom about 87mē and about 500 metres from the sea. The bills each month with me not there vary between about P18,000 and P23,000.

As many have mentioned, it depends very much on the lifestyle etc etc.  I could not manage on your figures.  My medical health insurance alone is P18,000 per month.
Hobbies and Interests / Re: Stuck Bolts
« Last post by M.C.A. on October 16, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
The mechanic had to remove my engine intake manifold because one of the thermostat bolts tore off and we tried everything and we couldn't get it to budge so mechanic removed the entire manifold he took it to a welder and he welded on a bar on what was left of the bolt and he worked back and forth and it went well it came out and no damage to the manifold. 
« Last post by M.C.A. on October 16, 2018, 05:28:46 PM »
My daughter needed a break with our two grandkids my granddaughter is 2 and my grandson is 7 so what a handful we had them for a couple months especially the two-year-old so she only wants to watch Play Dough Baby Hulk YouTube videos but now they are back with my daughter what a relief.
« Last post by FastWalk on October 16, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »
Did one of us big bad moderators scare you all off?? I know about big mouth Bud who thinks the rules of a forum do not apply to him but what about the rest of you?

keep up the good work !!
« Last post by jjcabgou on October 16, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
Still here.  The net here in my neck of the woods has been horrible.  Stuff I use to be able to download in hours is literally taking days now.  Tomorrow when I head to get my immigration work done I plan to hit my ISP seeing they closed their office in my municipality and get them to answer some questions and begin what will probably be a consecutive succession of getting workers sent to my house over and over and over until the issue is fixed.  Went through something like this about 2 years ago.  Get's real annoying.  But, one of the prices to pay living here in the Phils.  But, when it does work(it's down half the time) the speeds are just so slow that I struggle to connect to just about any site.  Forget sites like youtube and such.
ahhh the internet in the Philippines, I know of topic but I just cant help myself, my biggest gripe about living here is the damn internet.  Drives me fricken banana's.  We are about 30 years behind the rest of the world.  UGH 
« Last post by Peter on October 16, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »
Still here.  The net here in my neck of the woods has been horrible.  Stuff I use to be able to download in hours is literally taking days now.  Tomorrow when I head to get my immigration work done I plan to hit my ISP seeing they closed their office in my municipality and get them to answer some questions and begin what will probably be a consecutive succession of getting workers sent to my house over and over and over until the issue is fixed.  Went through something like this about 2 years ago.  Get's real annoying.  But, one of the prices to pay living here in the Phils.  But, when it does work(it's down half the time) the speeds are just so slow that I struggle to connect to just about any site.  Forget sites like youtube and such.

Joel.

A bit of a coincidence that you're suffering from slow downloads. So it may be worth seeing what your ISP is doing, as a couple of weeks ago (28 September) our Smart home WiFi went overnight from acceptable to 'can't even access their own account log in page'. I could only get Gmail, but nothing else. All pages were timing out and "pings" came back unreachable! Really, really frustrating. >:(

As the contract was due renewal on 6 October and we were considering going PLDT fiber, we went that same day (Friday) to the PLDT office to ask about their cable/fiber plans. As PLDT and Smart are interrelated, the PLDT manager was able to look up our Smart account, then told us that all the "All-In" plans with 9 number accounts (starting with 101xxxxxx and  we've had it for over 10 years) were being discontinued. No notice, just run down the bandwidth and grind to a stop!!!

Signed up there and then for a PLDT Home account. In my name as the wife had only one ID with her and they needed two. They accepted my ACR-Icard and Philippines' driving license as residential and identity proof.

This was Friday late afternoon. The following Tuesday morning, the techs arrived and installed the drop cable from the consumer unit on the pole about 50 metres away. They mounted an optical interface box on the wall next to my computer desk, then switched on the network unit (a posh router  :) ) and 2 minutes later I was connected to the internet! Took less than an hour, start to finish. A very neat and tidy installation.  :)

Old Smart contract was 1,499 a month (originally 999 pm, but it went up over the years) with pretty slow speed measured in Kbs, but with "unlimited" downloads.

We went for the  PLDT home fiber Plan 1699, which is only PhP 200 more a month than what we were paying for Smart home wifi. This gives us (up to) 15Mbps, with a cap of 150 Gb monthly downloads.  According to OOKLA a few minutes ago, we're getting around 8 mbps up and down, measured to a BT hub in Lancashire, UK.

Peter

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog