Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Internet Connections & TV / Re: Internet Woes
« Last post by Gray Wolf on January 17, 2018, 10:16:32 PM »
Nothing selfish or wrong with wanting a better deal.

Think global, act local.

I think globally, and act hillbilly  :D
Driving and Vehicles in RP / Re: Jeepney phaseout begins January 2018
« Last post by Brisbane on January 17, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
And then what?
Simple. If they wont renew your franchise you are taken off the road. There are rules and regulations and costs for operating a jeepney route.  Yes my friend operates 2 but there only about 5 or years old so she wont need to worry for some time. Incidentally the phasing out was extended for one more year only if the Jeepney passes a roadworthy.
« Last post by Lee2 on January 17, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
Glad they were nice but I have found that like you, they rarely have any real answers. One answer to too much use of late, if true, might be the 4G unit I posted about below, thus in the price range that many more people can afford it, but if you wish to confirm that the only tower you can reach is overloaded, then you might wish to try the internet in the middle of the night to confirm that, and if no faster in the middle of the night, then they are full of it.

Personally I feel that my last suggestion the Hauwei B525 or later units with an antenna aimed at the closest tower or another tower farther away might work better for you but it is expensive and there are no guarantees.

Another less expensive suggestion I can make is that you might wish to try the latest fairly inexpensive LTE Unit that recently came out the middle of last year, since it is retailing for p1,995, the Smart Bro Prepaid LTE Home Wi-Fi and it comes with 10G free data good for 7 days and more important it supports the 700MHz LTE band, so 7 days of included internet lowers the price and the new band, if available at your closest tower or any tower you can reach, would make your internet much faster but if there is no LTE available anywhere in your area, then I doubt anything will help.

« Last post by HappyBee on January 17, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »
Just thought I'd post an update on my "internet woes".

I decided after months of 2G internet to call Smart and ask if they can do anything.

As usual, when I called Smart I didn't have to wait on hold and the staff were kind.

They checked my router settings and found they were correct, and said that they suspect it is the "location". I had established that the router is OK by trying it in a larger town and found that the signal was very strong.

Smart said they would call me back and let me know the results of following up the issue with one of their engineers.

When they called me back, they said that they have concluded that my internet problems have been caused by having "too many subscribers in your area". I take this to mean that there has been an increase in cell phone users in our area, and simply having all those phones communicating with the tower has slowed it all right down.

They said they have plans for expansion in our area but can't tell me when.

I am glad they took the time to follow this up for me. But the quality of internet in the provinces here is just pathetic. And why the drop in connection was so sudden is puzzling to me... perhaps they reduced our bandwidth allocation here and sent it to somewhere more populated?
« Last post by Gray Wolf on January 17, 2018, 04:34:13 AM »
Personally, I think at least some progress will be made with the situation.  If not, at least more than has been happening in the past. My guess would be that the last thing they want to do is lose their franchise as they might never get one back or have to wait in line a long time.

I hope you're right, Bud. I'd love to see progress on this plan. I know someone needs to do something to help clean up the air in the cities. Even though our house is located about 15 miles from the center of Manila, the local jeepneys and tricycles spew out enough gunk to clog up anyone's lungs. And from our rooftop the smog over Manila is obvious most days. I avoid going into the city at all cost
« Last post by BudM on January 17, 2018, 12:47:59 AM »
And then what?

I knew someone who had a jeep route until about a year ago when he unloaded his jeep because it was getting too old and I am pretty sure the franchises work like the FX franchises. They ply a certain route and they are not supposed to be going on other routes.  If they lose the franchise, someone else will jump on it right away as there are only a certain number.  And I see plenty of jeeps and FX sitting on the side of the highway at police checkpoints.

Personally, I think at least some progress will be made with the situation.  If not, at least more than has been happening in the past.  There are some pretty mad jeepney franchise owners/drivers for a while now but they sure have had time to do something about it as this has been talked about actually happening for over a few years now.  And not all these jeepney owners are necessarily as poor as they are said to be.  The drivers working for them might be but there are a lot of owners out there with multi jeep operation.  Not sure of the cost of a jeepney franchise but the FX franchises cost them a fair chunk of change initially not including, not so cheap, yearly fee.  My guess would be that the last thing they want to do is lose their franchise as they might never get one back or have to wait in line a long time.
« Last post by Gray Wolf on January 17, 2018, 12:04:48 AM »
Yes because each Jeepney has a franchise route and if their vehicles do not comply then they will lose it.

And then what?
« Last post by Brisbane on January 16, 2018, 11:41:05 PM »
I'd love to see something happen to make all the smoke-belching vehicles, of every sort, simply disappear. But we all know that ain't gonna happen. It's a good idea, but with no plans in place to help it happen. Do the powers that be actually think they can force jeepney owners to scrap their old vehicles and buy new ones? Or replace the engines?r them.

Yeah, good idea, but not well-thought out. I don't see it happening in three, or even thirty years. JMHO of course. YMMV

Yes because each Jeepney has a franchise route and if their vehicles do not comply then they will lose it.
Living in or on Cebu island / Re: 2020, new bridge from Cordova to Cebu
« Last post by Lee2 on January 16, 2018, 11:40:23 PM »
There's no way it will be completed by 2020, I'm not sure they've even officially broken ground on the project.

And if they don't improve/widen some of the roads on Mactan before the bridge opens, it will only make traffic congestion worse.

I doubt it will open before 2023.
Welcome to the group, I sure as heck do not doubt you by the way things are often done in the Philippines.

As above in Jacks post, an intro helps us all know more about you and where your posts are coming from, hope to see more from you, as Cebu is our part time home, thus I would like to see more posts on this forum about Cebu.
Living in or on Cebu island / Re: 2020, new bridge from Cordova to Cebu
« Last post by Gray Wolf on January 16, 2018, 11:31:44 PM »
There's no way it will be completed by 2020, I'm not sure they've even officially broken ground on the project.

And if they don't improve/widen some of the roads on Mactan before the bridge opens, it will only make traffic congestion worse.

I doubt it will open before 2023.

Welcome to the group! Why not post a short intro to the group by clicking on this link and starting a new topic about yourself. Let the rest of us know a little about you and your connection to the Philippines
http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog