Author Topic: what's everyone riding ?  (Read 6552 times)

Offline dav662

Re: what's everyone riding ?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 11:47:27 PM »
Art I will take your advice on these things as I have said in another thread. Do you mean it is too dangerous on the roads or another reason?  But is it the same as in the provinces too?

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: what's everyone riding?
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 06:02:19 AM »
Art I will take your advice on these things as I have said in another thread. Do you mean it is too dangerous on the roads or another reason?  But is it the same as in the provinces too?
It doesn't really matter where or how well you are with riding motor bikes, when it's your time it's eventually your time and if you're really lucky, then it may not be your time to wipe-out.  ::) ???
I've just seen too many fatal accidents to know and that is why I quit riding them all together.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 06:14:30 AM »
Like Art, I gave up riding motor bikes long ago.  Decided not to press my luck. 

I too have seen and become aware of too many fatals.  So often the same story told afterwards, usually something like:  "Oh, he was such a careful and cautious rider, so skilled, so many years of experience, millions of miles driven, etc." 

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 06:26:18 AM »
Plenty of people ride here and never get killed, yet I have known of quite a few expats that have gotten in some pretty serious motorbike crashes, now with that said...
More than half of those who die in road accidents in the Philippines are motorcycle riders, according to a new road safety report of the World Health Organization (WHO).

In its Global Status Report on Road Safety 2015, the WHO said 53% of reported road traffic fatalities in the Philippines are riders of motorized two- or three-wheeler vehicles.  http://www.rappler.com/nation/110789-road-safety-report-2015-who-philippines

I think the two things we have to remember here are that just about no one follows the laws and many people drive drunk, since laws are rarely enforced, add the two together and it makes me want to drive an armored car here, not a bike.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »

You don’t have to spend much time in the Philippines before you see a motorcycle accident. I’ve seen a number of them, one on Roxas Blvd right across from Rizal Park. Was he dead? I don’t know, He was just lying there in the street and not moving.

There’s no way in hell I would ride a motorcycle in Manila or any city or main highway, Somewhere way back in the province, maybe. But that's just me, different strokes and all that....

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 04:40:54 PM »
Just so we have some comments with the opposite view, I know Big Jim has been all over the Philippines on his bike or bikes and we all know that thankfully he is still alive and well.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
It's bad enough driving in Manila and there abouts in a car let alone 2 wheels, I have driven in many countries far and wide, the pick of the bunch for me was Athens, (nasty) until I hit Manila, over the years have driven company and hire cars in most places except south America; My first trip to PH was an eye opener some 6 years ago, watching cars and bikes dodge each other when in taxis, tricycles or jeepnies. Having driven there myself many times now I know it is not for the feint hearted, You need to be aggressive to get where you are going. 2 wheels worse I am sure but continue to beat 4 wheels to the next set of lights, my better half would ride to work on 2 wheels, east/west daily and only 3 or 4 kilometres and I would always a worry but as I have learnt the locals seem to know what is what. In the back blocks/out of manila or other major centres, provinces, it's not that bad, still careful going to the market etc. it is not dog eat dog and not the push, when we move back we will have 2 wheels for the local stuff in the province and 4 wheels for long distance, but in Manila????? I shudder to think about driving a car there again, gets the heart going. Btw, we don't have a ride/2 wheels here in OZ and my better half tells me that it messes with the hair and would be a bitch riding 20 minutes to work in the rain!
In the province, all good.
Cheers, Steve

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 05:48:30 PM »
The Province is no better them Manila maybe worse. To drive from our home to Roxas City is about 25KM last time I drove at night there were 14 Motorcycles with no head lights or tail lights. If you try to pass some one you may see a cellular Phone help up to show theres a bike coming at you head on. I lived here 13 years now no way I would ride a cycle here every week a few people get killed either from running of the road, hitting dogs or getting run down by trucks here is the latest accident this week

3 die in Tapaz road mishap
March 13, 2016
BY RUBY P. SILUBRICO
ILOILO City – Three persons died in a motorcycle accident in Barangay Poblacion Ilaya, Tapaz, Capiz.
Collin San Agustin, 48, died of severe head and body injuries together with Roel Galagate, 27, and Kim Faldas, 22.
Agustin and Galagate were both of Barangay San Julian, Tapaz. Faldas, on the other hand, was a resident of Barangay Candelaria, Tapaz.

The accident happened on March 10 on the national highway around 6:50 p.m. The motorcycle-driving San Agustin and back rider Galagate were bound for the town proper of Tapaz. They crashed against the motorcycle driven by Faldas.
According to Senior Inspector Larnel Frial, Tapaz police chief, San Agustin overtook a van but did not see Faldas’ motorcycle coming from the opposite direction.

“The motorcycle of Faldas did not have a headlight. This was why San Agustin did not see it,” said Frial.
Faldas and San Agustin died instantly, said Frial.

Galagate died while being rushed to the district hospital of Tapaz, according to the police chief.

Two months ago, feisty Ilongga senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago filed Senate Resolution No. 1715 seeking an investigation on the surging number of motorcycle-related accidents.

She cited a study showing 8,499 motor vehicle deaths a year in the Philippines.

Motorcycle riders, especially those who travel without protective gear, are the “most vulnerable” to accidents, the study said.
Congress must review existing laws and identify what measures may be improved, said Santiago.

August last year, Congress enacted a legislation banning children from riding motorcycles unless they can reach the vehicle’s standard foot peg.

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »
Accidents happen every where, in all countries, the rider/driver needs to be vigilant, the ones that break the law/no head or tail lights/speeding/impatient/drunk etc are a worry but aside from the obvious,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have seen a 2 wheeler and another occasion a 4 wheeler/car drive into a bloody ditch/hole on the road,,,,,,,,,,road works because they were not focusing.
And (Never start a sentence with "AND") unfortunately those two incidences were in our province,,,,,, makes me think about what I said in another topic here,,,,, hhhmmmm a year plus solid in Manila............I never saw an accident/except on the news, maybe I needed to get out more.
It would be interesting to see the statistics, accidents per country per capita.
More research, lol.
Cheers Steve

• Sr Member
Re: what's everyone riding?
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 06:26:24 PM »
Just ask yourself, "How long will this family last"?
Eventually it's an accident just waiting to happen!
:(

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Y-zVOXSGo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Y-zVOXSGo</a>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:41:02 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »
Plenty of people ride here and never get killed, yet I have known of quite a few expats that have gotten in some pretty serious motorbike crashes, now with that said...I think the two things we have to remember here are that just about no one follows the laws and many people drive drunk, since laws are rarely enforced, add the two together and it makes me want to drive an armored car here, not a bike.

80% of transport here is two or three wheeled vehicles. That would suggest that 4 wheels or pedestrians are far more likely to be killed.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 05:28:24 AM »
, hhhmmmm a year plus solid in Manila............I never saw an accident/except on the news, maybe I needed to get out more.
It would be interesting to see the statistics, accidents per country per capita.
More research, lol.
Cheers Steve

I haven’t spent that much time in the Philippines but like I said I’ve seen a number of motorcycle accidents. As a matter of fact we were involved in two accidents with motorcycles. In both cases the motorcycles hit the vehicle we were riding in. I only have pictures of the last accident. It happened right after a rain and the 3 wheeler had so much “rain shield” up that he couldn’t see where he was going and hit us as we came from a side street.

Very low speed so no one was hurt.

It was an interesting experience though having to go down to the local police station and waiting in the car as our driver and the trike driver spent some time in the police station negotiating a settlement together with the police. But that’s another story…..

the second picture shows the view that the trike driver had and why he couldn't see us on the right side.

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:39 AM »
What will it take to convince people that riding motorcycles
in the Philippines or anywhere in the world is dangerous?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeAv9nDDSNk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeAv9nDDSNk</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7YUfmaghaY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7YUfmaghaY</a>
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Irish_Geo

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 04:57:12 AM »
Hi Folks,

I ride a Yamaha XT125.
I'm used to larger capacity bikes back home but cant seem to find anything larger in Ormoc, and to be honest who would need anything larger over here.
I've rapidly had to learn some real bad habits to survive on the roads and I have witnessed a lot of mental drivers that wont have a lot of time left in this world if they keep it up.
It never suprises me when I see those white vans busted up at the side of the road + casualties and I'm not even gonna start on driving at night.

What I've learned is, oncoming traffic has right of way (overtaking) if they're bigger than you, if they've beeped their horn or if they've turned on all 8 of their big pickups spotlights (you are now blind so you should move over).
All vehicles being overtaken will probably turn left when you overtake them without warning and crossroads are a lottery (no traffic lights anywhere).
Though all sorts of new roadsigns are popping up all over the place turning once two ways into one ways now.
Once, at night, I only realised that I was playing chicken with a truck with no lights on when I saw its outline against the petrol station up the road behind it.

I have a full face lid but its just too damn hot to wear full leathers and it'd look awesome on a 125cc :)
I do feel naked on a bike in the philippines and as a result I ride slower.
I dont think theres anything you can do about drunk or over tired drivers falling asleep either here or anywhere else in the world.
Just never let your guard down and if you dont really need to travel by bike then dont.
I like trikes anyway :)

I know that the traffic in Ormoc isnt as bad as what I've seen in Cebu though when you get outside the city onto longer straights and the speeds go up it gets lively real quick.
I'm constantly amazed at folk overtaking going around blind corners (aye, trucks overtaking buses) and as a result I 'always' get myself well over to the right side coming up to them.

An unexpected problem that I never had to face in Northern Ireland was the size of the bugs over here.
In Ireland, maybe a wasp in the puss would be the worst that could happen if you had your visor up.
From home to the city via Cabulihan (via the sugar cane fields) in the evening, I felt a thump on my chest and looked down to find an angry looking prayin mantis.
I nearly ***t myself...

So, for pure interests sake and because I could never find any info on Ormoc before I came over...
This is a quick video of me leaving the Villa Hotel in Ormoc heading south past Sabin resort towards Albuera to show the traffic here.
Then I come back in, through the town and out the north side a touch.
I have the GoPro on a chest mount and you know the roads over here so it bounces a little now and again ;)

Best Regards,
Geo...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:40:14 PM by Lee2 »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog