Author Topic: Shipping  (Read 1156 times)

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
Shipping
« on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:04 AM »
I was wondering if someone can help me find a shipping company to send things to Flora? I will be sending some large items, and need a good company that I can trust. Any help is appreciated!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Shipping
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »
I used UMAC Express from the northeast area of Florida.  I think they are all along the east coast but don't know where else.  I looked at your other posts and only saw where you grew up so don't know if you have access to them.  If you do, I shipped 8 of the large boxes at 65 bucks a piece and a box with on of my large screen TV (a multi-voltage Vizio).  The stuff was all intact when it was arriving between a 4 and 6 week period after my arrival (I began sending them out a couple of weeks before I left) and none of it had been tampered with.  I bought the Vizio in December 2010 and it is still going strong and shows no indications of wear or tear or other problems.  Of course, I got another one to compliment it after I got here in case it goes kaput.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:26:21 AM »
I was able to find a place here in Houston to send balikbayan boxes. They deliver right to the door in Flora. I packed 4 big boxes this weekend, and will have to get more boxes sent when these are picked up. Amazing what you can put in these boxes. The company is Forex. The lady there is from The Philippines, and was very helpful. She sends boxes home with chocolates and most all the things I am sending. Spam seems to be one thing everyone sends, so I loaded up, and put 6-10 cans in each box. Juliet asked for a new purse, so I put 1 in each box, along with things we need for our apartment we are building on top of her house.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
We sent everything we wanted to keep from Seattle to Davao via LBC balikbayan box. Twenty-one in total, over a few months. One of our friends here kept them for us until we arrived.

My wife is an ace packer. We only lost a couple of ceramic dinner plates and, I think, a couple of pieces of china.These are the last five, lined up in the hallway of our Seattle condo. LBC isn't everywhere in the U.S. but they have an office in South Seattle.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »
Spam seems to be one thing everyone sends, so I loaded up, and put 6-10 cans in each box.

Serious???? LOL. It's probably one of the most common ingredients in many restaurants and is readily available - I would suspect at a cheaper price.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:44:33 PM »
Spam was the furious thing on my mind to send! We no longer buy or keep spam in our home!  ::) ??? :o
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:09:56 PM »
Spam from the USA is 216 php(approx $4.50)in the Philippines per can, while you can buy it in the USA for $2.77.   If you want to buy Spam made in China here in the Philippines I think it runs 112-116 php.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:54:27 PM »
Spam from the USA is 216 php(approx $4.50)in the Philippines per can, while you can buy it in the USA for $2.77.   If you want to buy Spam made in China here in the Philippines I think it runs 112-116 php.

Chuck

As late as about 6years ago, I knew of a Filipino American who would buy Spam by the pallet load when it went on sale for 99 cents on the base.  He was retired military but I don't know if he used it for financial gain or if he would just load up the balikbayan boxes and wherever they arrived, the whole barangay dug in.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 01:50:27 AM »
Just sent my first 3 boxes yesterday. They actually picked up?? Wow!! I paid 280usd to send 3 big boxes full of everything you can possibly imagine? Of course Spam, chili, soups, spices, fishing gear, lamps, ceiling fans, cookies, lots of chocolates, clothes, Christmas gifts, pocket knives for the guys, bracelets, necklaces, fans, and expensive chocolates for the women. Just a lot of things I didn't see in the stores when I was there last. I sent all this in well packed boxes by Forex here in Houston. The guy that picked it up is from a town close to Flora, and was very nice. He sure knew how to get 100 lb boxes down to the truck from the 3rd floor without even breathing hard?

We will see how it all arrives? Around December 2nd? I will send another round of 3 boxes next Saturday, and so on???

Thanks to all who directed me as to how to ship. Even though it takes 60 days, I like that I can send as much as I can put in a box?
Scott

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »
Hi Scott

I know that this comment has been made several times before but just a reminder.........
If you are sending electrical items, don't forget the different voltage 230v in Fils against 110v in USA.

Cheers
David
Londoner at heart

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 12:09:03 AM »
And chocolates will melt in boxes sitting around for 60 days!  ::) ???
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline AggieExPat

• Born in Chicago and Raised in Texas...
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:23:19 PM »
Be aware that they still may end opening the box and remove things without you knowing.  I sent 2 boxes in July and it arrived in September.  One box was open and definitely things were missing.  I suggest to pack things that you may not necessarily live without. 

BOC changed the rules in August and requires that all items be listed in the inventory packing slip.  Don't know if this a good thing or bad...
Javi Lopez

Iloilo City, Iloilo

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog