Author Topic: Spent a week in ARMM areas of Mindanao and saw things that will make you SICK !  (Read 6258 times)

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
The week I just spent in the ARMM region of Mindanao will make some of us literally SICK !

There is just no way to explain it at this internet cafe right now - so when I get back to NCR/Manila I will TRY to make a brief post... I think it cant be brief so I will just cover 2 issues I experienced FIRST HAND !

Im still alive and havent been beheadded ... so thats good...

The reat - you will have to stay tuned for ... 1 or 2 days is my guess... Its imporrible to use a CAFE in the ARMM region because even their own MSU (Mindanao State University) in a 98% Muslim city only has cafes around with 256k internet !

MY iPHONE GETS FASTER INTERNET THAN THAT !

Stay tuned.... and grab a barf-bag... you will be sick.... Im sick right now just thinking about it....

This will NOT be my lecture about religion - I will simply report what I witnessed and experienced first hand in the ARMM region... places \'foreigners\' are rarely seen - deep in the mountains...

I counted at least 6 military checkpoints just to get to the place.... maybe more...

YOU WILL BE SICK.... so if I die before getting back to manila... at least you know there was SOMETHING you may have seen soon :o ;D :D

Im just contacting tha AP first ... this is much bigger than these forums...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

I have the strange feeling you will regale us with stories about how tranquil and peaceful and quiet and beautiful the place was, rather than the morbid tales of gore and mayhem most would expect after reading the thread title.  :D  ;)

Di ba.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
what dylanz a drama queen?  ;)

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
I have the strange feeling you will regale us with stories about how tranquil and peaceful and quiet and beautiful the place was, rather than the morbid tales of gore and mayhem most would expect after reading the thread title.  :D  ;)

Di ba.

I came inches from death - and had to laugh my way out of it... but I just got home an even too exhausted to read my 200+ new emails...

I will figure out how to leave religion out of it and post here when the words all come together... hard to leave religion out of a place thats 98% Muslim - but I will come up with general ideas to write...

Peaceful - not hardly
Quiet - Tranquil.. well.. I brough back some TAP water.... they TRICKED me into drinking it for days - saying it was \"PURE WATER\" That I assumed meant \"Mineral water\"... and I never got even a slight discomfort...

But I would not have been shocked if I did not make it back... lets just say that... ok rest time...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

I will figure out how to leave religion out of it and post here when the words all come together... hard to leave religion out of a place thats 98% Muslim - but I will come up with general ideas to write...

In my view, references to religion are fine if they help to explain peoples attitudes, providing there is no preaching involved. We all have our own opinions on the subject, but it is worth knowing what it is that drives a person to behave the way they do. Just my opinion for what its worth  ;) ;D

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
In my view, references to religion are fine if they help to explain peoples attitudes, providing there is no preaching involved. We all have our own opinions on the subject, but it is worth knowing what it is that drives a person to behave the way they do. Just my opinion for what its worth  ;) ;D

Colin

I agree as well as I also feel \'preachyness\' can often lose the interest of readers who do not share the same views.

I am in the process of editing my ... information...

New story just noticed ... has nothing to do with my edits though...  ;D  :D
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/print/87410

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
It would be nice if religion or matters of faith could be discussed here when they are on topic and Philippine related.  However the problem is that some people complain when they see these.  And we should not show favoritism by discussing one while objecting to another.  In that light it\'s better to keep our beliefs to ourselves lest we offend.  Dylanaz is on the right track.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
I am the first to complain when people try to push their own particular brand of religion. There are very many variations on the theme, and what is of interest is why people chose their own particular belief instead of any of the others. Or why they chose any belief at all when they often fly in the face of science and logic. Again just my personal opinion but something that I have given a lot of thought over the years.

Colin

I agree with this and am taking steps to ensure my writing doesnt cross the line as I am preparing it. The issue I am facing is that there is just so much to write that it doesnt exactly fit a forum...

I equate it to the book/movie \"Journey to the center of the earth\"

Was their adventure 100% safe - no
Could they die - yes
Were there wonders unique to that journey - yes
Could it be rewarding there - yes
etc, etc, etc.... now imagine Jules Verne writing his novel and making the whole thing fit in one posting and not having hundreds of pages of text to fall back on... Quite a challenge....

Im hashing it out over a few days - in between my scrabble games...

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Write it out in notepad or word first, the break it into several parts and post them over several days... keep \'em wanting more ;)
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
I am the first to complain when people try to push their own particular brand of religion. There are very many variations on the theme, and what is of interest is why people chose their own particular belief instead of any of the others. Or why they chose any belief at all when they often fly in the face of science and logic. Again just my personal opinion but something that I have given a lot of thought over the years.

Colin

Yes, you are the first to complain and it has caused us seemingly endless grief at times.    :(  

To everyone: This Forum is not about why people choose any particular religious or non-religious belief system.  Nor are we here to discuss science or logic.  Any posts that drift away into debate over religious dogma or try to reveal and discuss any specific belief system will be deleted immediately.  Period.  End of story.  

This particular thread was started by Dylan to post an essay on his trip to the ARMM.  Let\'s allow him to post his report and then we can discuss the details.
Louisville, KY USA

Colin

Yes, you are the first to complain and it has caused us seemingly endless grief at times.    :(  

To everyone: This Forum is not about why people choose any particular religious or non-religious belief system.  Nor are we here to discuss science or logic.  Any posts that drift away into debate over religious dogma or try to reveal and discuss any specific belief system will be deleted immediately.  Period.  End of story.  

This particular thread was started by Dylan to post an essay on his trip to the ARMM.  Let\'s allow him to post his report and then we can discuss the details.

I only complain to try to keep the forum on track, and I am only expressing a personal view on what I would consider to be of general interest. This is not what is sometimes posted on here. I apologize if I cause grief that is not my intention  :(

Colin

Offline southern92

• Sr Member
Write it out in notepad or word first, the break it into several parts and post them over several days... keep \'em wanting more ;)

I\'m already \"wanting more\" and I have not even read the first installment, only seen the commercial for it!?!  ;)
Jeff

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member

I\'m already \"wanting more\" and I have not even read the first installment, only seen the commercial for it!?!  ;)

Its getting closer - I just uploaded over 500 photos I took while there.... and that was a doozy in a place where a camera can get you in a LOT of trouble ! Lots I tell ya !

Most of the times I kept the cam hidden - but heres a local reaction to seeing my cam THROUGH TINTED WINDOWS... they were not too happy about seeing a cam INSIDE THE CAR !!!

Its more than obvious media is not welcome there - but I was lucky to only be spotted that ONE time...

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
Looks like this is gonna be the biggest revelation of the forum ;;; 
Lets have the first page with the briefing on the story
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

On Nat-Geo TV last night, (4-2010), a program where an American that was involved commenting through the program what he ~~REALLY~~ went through step by step as being kidnapped AND saw two Pinoys with him beheaded, (worth no money), by what turned out as some Mindenao MLIF Rebals.

BTW, it all started out at the Cebu Sea Port and boated for hours to another island. Granted, this was in 1996. BUT................... what has changed in the Philippines since??????????????
B-Ray 

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog