Author Topic: Mindanao - Safety Question  (Read 7964 times)

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Mindanao - Safety Question
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:40 AM »
Gary the point of the pasalubong for a foreigner is to bring something from home with you. I know on my first visit, I bought a box as part of my luggage, a type of Balikbayan box if you like, customs generally does not care what is in there, I filled it with about 200 USD of stuff, Fancy Chocolates for Mama, LED flash lights for Papa and some uncles, I went to the dollar store and picked up bag upon bag of lollipops and small chocolate bars, like the ones given out for Halloween, small bottles of shampoo, socks etc. Nothing to personal, oh and soap from the US is a biggie.

Its about perception of taking time for the gift, if you pick it up in the Philippines, there is no thought in the gift is there?
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
Agree with Wayne of gifts for grown ups from overseas.......but I doubt kids bother WHERE the candies and chocolates are from

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »
If you are flying into Manila first, after arriving there are stores selling candies, chocolates in the airport itself before you go thru customs......

And they\'re priced 3x higher than the chocolate in the US purchased at any discount store like Walgreens, CVS, Costco, K-Mart, Walmart, etc, etc, etc. 

Bring a bag or two from home.  It won\'t hurt you to carry some chocolates.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »
Hey Tucker....did you live?

I know this is an old thread but was just in Davao City four days. Felt safer than Cebu city though not to many foreigners that saw. I have to say it was a refreshing change from Cebu city. Clean, not crowded, well laid out streets, good infrastructure, great shopping. The Gaisano Mall grocery store was great it had all kinds of imports and organized in a logical manner( example like 5 different brands of corn beef in 5 different locations in store) It had everything, i bought nice cheeses, sausage, beef jerky from US of A and of course all the amazing fruits from Davao.

Popped over to Paradise resort for a beach day, went to Drifters UK basement pub and had killer fish and chips and watched discovery turbo on a big screen. Was great. Just a heads up for the Crown Regency, don\'t stay in the standard rooms out back. There running an hourly deal and it was noisy all night. Some of the Deluxe units had garage doors. Taxi would pull up and honk twice, man would open garage door car would pull in, door would slam shut, 10 seconds latter door would open, empty cab pull out, door close. Repeat every hour or so lol.

I would go back to Davao City for sure, but not until i have checked out some new places of course.

Offline ontime

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 11:53:09 PM »
Well hello all... I must tell you I skimmed though most of the posts looking for the issue that was titled in this post but found out about the giving of candies and the such...

I have put { living in Dipolog city } in search engines in relationship to safety Issues and cant seem to find any up to date info could someone please provide me with a link or perhaps the proper way to put it into the search engine and explain to me if I am doing something wrong here?

Basically what I want to learn is if it is safe generally speaking for an American to live in  [[[ Dipolog city ? ]]]

And I guess an additional question might be how far away does the trouble start because I don\'t prefer to being locked into any one particular geographical area?

From what I have seen or been able to gather it is not the best choice of destinations so feel free to give me all of your opinions.

It seems the one lady that I have met and kept in touch with since November lives there with her family plans on staying there and I am getting conflicting points of view as to whether or not it is safe for an American in today\'s Times?

I would appreciate any help or a link that will bring me to the proper page along with instructions is how to use the search engine to be more efficient?

Thank you From On Time
Brief candles ~ One and All ~

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:26 PM »

Basically what I want to learn is if it is safe generally speaking for an American to live in  [[[ Dipolog city ? ]]]

And I guess an additional question might be how far away does the trouble start because I don\'t prefer to being locked into any one particular geographical area?

From what I have seen or been able to gather it is not the best choice of destinations so feel free to give me all of your opinions.

Thank you From On Time

Generally speaking, yes, it\'s relatively safe to live in Dipolog.  The trouble would start as soon as you begin to travel south/southwest.  You would probably be relatively safe in traveling due East, depending on which means of transportation you decide to use.   I don\'t recommend \"thumbing it\", but a bus or private vehicle would most likely work out okay.

What happened to your idea of living on your boat?  Did I miss that post? 
Louisville, KY USA

Offline JeffersonFlies

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 12:30:58 AM »
I too am interested in knowing how this guy is doing.

Two things my woman told me about the Philippines: \"Don\'t ever go to Mindanao, it\'s full of muslims who will kidnap you.\" and \"Don\'t bring pasalubong for anyone but the kids.\"

So I\'ve never been to Mindanao, but when I first flew into the Philippines her entire extended family waited for us. Our flight was delayed 3 hours, and traffic delayed us an extra 1 hour. And the look on her uncle\'s face when he realized there was nothing for him after he bussed for 4 hours and waited another 6 for us to come... well after that night we never saw or heard from  him again..  ;)

Offline ontime

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 05:21:04 AM »
Magandang umaga Gray Wolf... No sir you did not miss any posts...How ever the People you and the Captain gave me to contact...sent back a first reply saying let the gentleman who owns Cebu yacht club was on vacation and he would be returning the second week in January and would correspond with me after that.

To which I have sent two more inquiries for a secure location to store a cargo container full of might personal belongings and some tools I would need to set up a vessel in the Philippines to make it livable or at least have access to tools if I needed to do some work on the vessel itself.

Since 16 January I have sent to more inquiries to the owner of Cebu yacht club and have received no responses.

The same holds true for the yacht club or boat club 20 miles to the north so in fact it looks like I am going to have to come there and as you say with some boots on the ground.

Of course the option to live on a boat is my first option although one of the ladies that I truly enjoy communicating with lives on the island of Mindiano and your feedback as far as safety is concerned is all I need to know that I don\'t want to live anywhere near that island on a vessel of any size and I know myself well enough to know that I wouldn\'t want to be confined by any type of restrictions because of the possibility of having a run-in with the Muslim population considering the fact that you are not allowed to bear arms and they apparently from what I read are well armed it wouldn\'t be much fun.

Even the consulate in New York City advised against living on a boat or vessel anywhere near that island but wouldn\'t go so far as to make a determination about the land itself in all likelihood for political reasons although I got the impression it would be best if I didn\'t live there from the consulate itself I wanted to hear it from a fellow Americans point of view and I did run across a few posts to the same effect although the latest one was in February of 2009 which was almost 2 years ago and I was hoping something would change.

As far as the vessel is concerned I would think at this point I would have to come to the Philippines and purchase a vessel rather than sell it 9000 miles in this way I would eliminate the import tax and a year and a half on the oceans.

I guess of the smallest concern is that the lady that I wished to live on the sailboat with me in Cebu originally once we got to know one another [all of about five weeks] had explained to me that her ex husband who she is still married to owns half of her house N. in order to get an annulment and to get her husband off of her back requested 100,000 pesos which would by half of the house from her husband and she would own it outright and then we could live in the house and I could keep the boat at the Cebu yacht club.

[Lead bricks] that went over like a lead bricks I tell you!

I still keep in contact with the lady from the southern island on a daily basis sometimes but she is adamant about living close to her family and I can\'t blame her for loving her parents but I couldn\'t live where I would be confined and I just wrote that letter this morning.

So once again I joined one of the nicest dating sites that I have run across Christian Filipino and am flickering back and forth on whether or not it is even a good idea to try to find someone on the Internet was simply go there and meet some people.

In order to do this first I must put everything in a cargo container or a large 24 foot box truck and put the things in storage as I still am in the home that I purchased in 1999 and in limbo but I don\'t think that is going to be for any great length of time.

This is the reason I wanted to get in touch with Milo at the Cebu yacht club in order to find out if I would have a place for it cargo container worry 24 foot box truck with a tailgate in running condition of course and I have never received an answer to that effect.

I can\'t blame them considering most people are just acting out some sort of fantasy in their beliefs that they are moving to the Philippines but my biggest concern is what I would like to bring in to settle some arrangements with another home whereas my mother just passed away and the final legal obligations are still a little bit up in the air as far as the home and some other items are concerned that should be cleared up shortly.

So there you have it Gray Wolf another series of complex endeavors although it looks like it is winding down it has been a difficult year.

I do come on these pages every day and soak up as much information as possible and I have often recommended this site to many people that wish to learn about the Philippines.

I actually enjoyed one particular post greatly a few weeks ago when I read it concerning what do you do when you are in retirement and all of the peoples and all of the different things that different people do during the course of the day to fill in the moments.

The radio controlled idea is a fantastic hobby for anyone even if they do know nothing about airplanes or radio control technology is perfect for someone that wishes to fill up their day with an unending ability to learn a new hobby and meet some really interesting people.

Where I live it ranges from children to people and have been on the NASA space agency control board and even many pilots.

A pretty interesting group of individuals to say the least.

So once again I thank everybody for their input with one additional question in that I heard there was one other location that there could be problems with the Moslem community a bit north of Cebu and I believe it was north east on the islands ON TACLOBAN CITY?

Thank You Very Much for All Your Assistance from on Time

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »
... I wouldn\'t want to be confined by any type of restrictions because of the possibility of having a run-in with the Muslim population considering the fact that you are not allowed to bear arms and they apparently from what I read are well armed it wouldn\'t be much fun....

They aint hurtin\' me.. and I even courted some of their women !

But you MUST remember one thing in the Philippines. Regardless of religion - if you flip someone the middle-finger while driving - you can expect a shorter life.

Filipinos in general are very sensitive to pride, dignity, and how others see them. A little insult (or correction) in the mind of a foreigner - is life or death to many even Christian Filipinos... Just read any paper on road rage shootings here... Even a fellow poster had a gun pointed at him in traffic for making a motorist angry.

So Generally speaking Filipinos are more sensitive and may respond stronger than Americans. And their Muslim population is in general a bit more sensitive than that majority of Filipinos...

That pretty much sums it up...

A foreigner may comment \"You are a flargin, blargin poop head of an idiot!\" - in a heated argument - just words to express anger - however...

Most filipinos may interpret that as \"I WILL FIGHT YOU RIGHT NOW - LETS FIGHT\"
Local Muslims may interpret that as \"I DECLARE PERSONAL WAR ON YOU AND YOUR FAMILY - TIME TO DIE!\"

We wonder why so many Filipinos are polite to us.. They are just as polite to each other also - It may be because even they know small things get blown out of porpotion very easily... and escalate quickly to much worse... so it is best to be polite than to have something small accidentally taken as fighting words.

I had a close call years ago with a local Muslim family. Making the MISTAKE of explaining myself using an ANALOGY (definite no no). I told the mother of the house that her daughter was young and needs time to be tamed just like a wild horse. OMG - that was... well... DEMS FIGHTIN WORDS !

She interpreted that as me calling her daughter a human-horse (locally known as a TIKBALANG - aka centaur) - and that was all she grasped - and well... most other people would not have walked away from that day  
:P

Just NOTE:
(MODS - this is a non religious comment just a comparison so people understand my POV)

There is a big difference from Southern Baptist and Mormon - yet both have a Bible in common.

I have a book in common with local Muslims, however there is a BIG difference bewteen a Chicago, USA Muslim who wears a bowtie and sells bean pie on street corners and a Local one... who never EVER even heard of bean pie  ;D

PS - bean pie tastes like Pumpkin pie - not like a burrito. And its made with the same sweetened bean locals eat in their Halo-Halo ice cream - heheh
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline ontime

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
Dylan I don\'t have any problem with them...it is much more the other way around...so why put yourself in the mix if its not needed ?

I could care less what God people believe in..the problem is when they don\'t like you because their ignorance does not let them see the bigger picture

Thanks for the advice though i don\'t Flip people off in traffic...lol

I seen a guy pee some one off once in traffic and it looked like a movie scene...

man flips off man ~

Man jumps out of car with shot gun...

Man sticks shotgun in flippers face

Man that was funny

That dude will think twice before flipping any one off again

Any how thanks

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »
OnTime and all,

Forget trying to contact business people in the Philippines by email, unless you already know them very, very well.  And websites?  Fuggedaboutit!  To most of them that I\'ve come in contact with, websites and business email addresses are much the same as expensive cell phones and flashy cars.  A status symbol, nothing more, nothing less.  They rarely, if ever, check who has been visiting their sites and probably have forgotten how to login on their business email address.   :o   ::)   ;)   :)

Phone numbers... you need to contact them by phone.  The guy in Cebu with the \"yacht\" club?  I doubt whether he\'ll ever return your emails.  He\'ll wait until you literally pull into port to inquire about the cost (and of course, since you\'re a rich Kano, it\'ll cost you more)   ;D

Boots on da ground, bro!  Boots on da ground!  Then you\'ll get the straight skinny. 

I wish it wasn\'t this way, but after 10 years of visiting, that\'s my observation.  Of course, it\'s just my opinion.  I may be wrong.   ;) 

Louisville, KY USA

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

The radio controlled idea is a fantastic hobby for anyone even if they do know nothing about airplanes or radio control technology is perfect for someone that wishes to fill up their day with an unending ability to learn a new hobby and meet some really interesting people.

Where I live it ranges from children to people and have been on the NASA space agency control board and even many pilots.

A pretty interesting group of individuals to say the least.

Unfortunately it is a bit limited here unless you live in the Manila area. There is activity in the Angeles area and also in Batangas near lake Taal. Some years ago I did see posts on another forum of a club in the Cebu area.

You can now even build your own \'drone\' complete with video cameras http://www.fpvflying.com/categories/FPV-OSD-for-rc-airplane/, the missiles could be a problem. ;D

Colin

Offline ontime

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
No Sir your not wrong...

i have had the same experience with the {{ SINGING DENTIST }} although I did call her twice and emails I never got a return call or email  but I hear many nice things about her and husband so I will go there any way...

As for Milo & the yacht club ... yep your correct It would be simpler to just spent a few days traveling from one end of Cebu to the other and spending a few days at the  small resort at the tip of the north end and get to meet the people in person.

I will be there for a month so I will have the time to do allot of things

Once again thank you Gray Wolf for the excellent and honest advice

On Time

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »
It\'s not just PI businesses that don\'t answer their e-mails. About 50% of suppliers and vendors I have e-mailed in the west over the years don\'t respond when contacted from their web sites.

Things are improving, but it still seems somewhat backwards to run a website, yet not answer to enquiries it generates.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »
When I built a couple of dozen websites back in mid 90s I always advised the small business to hire a temp just to answer anticipated volume of e-mails

First - acknowledge all e-mails
Second - send out info requested, prices/models etc if not on website
Third - print, copy and pass e-mails that required more knowledgable answers
Fourth - follow up third for replies to customers after 2 days

If volume too much for 1 temp hire more
If not enough work for one, call me back as website not delivering results

I doubt 20% properly handled e-mails......as I would follow up at 1 & 3 months after launch

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog