Author Topic: Out of stock and work ethics  (Read 170 times)

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Out of stock and work ethics
« on: August 02, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »
Yup. The Pinoy will only work when told "WORK NOW".  This is from daily experiences - eg:
"sorry sir. Out of stock"
"Are you sure. Could you check please".
Too lazy to check so they say again - "out of stock sir."
You see someone else. Hand them 20p and ask could you find me ..... please. 90% of the time they will find it. Then the row starts.
I have had the "out of stock" when there are loads behind their ear on a shelf. GF says I frighten them too much. Good I say.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:47:52 PM by Lee2 »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:44:04 AM »
Yup. The Pinoy will only work when told "WORK NOW".  This is from daily experiences - eg:
You see someone else. Hand them 20p and ask could you find me ..... please. 90% of the time they will find it. Then the row starts.
I have had the "out of stock" when there are loads behind their ear on a shelf. GF says I frighten them too much. Good I say.
I think that should say some Pinoy's since I know of many who work very hard and always do what they are asked to do and do it at a reasonable speed. Please don't insult a whole race because of some or even many you have dealt with.

As for the out of stock, often they are new workers with those 5 or 6 month contracts, by the time they learn the inventory, they often are gone and the next one arrives to take their place. IMO the Philippines needs to do away with those short term contracts but then the stores  would have to pay the workers the 13 month Christmas pay, so I doubt those in control will allow it to happen.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:48:15 PM by Lee2 »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »
lee i do believe du30 did get rid of contracs but im just going by my memory of what was to be done after he got power. and as for the out of stock i must be the worst person this happens too . i go to jolliebee at lunch time in busy road area ask for fries and out of stock :( can you believe that the bigest ph food chain out of stock mid day lunch time. then theres every restraunt i go to i read menu and 90% time the first item i ask for is out of stock . just bad luck i guess. the best one was went to pizza hut had coupon from online promo for free banana split they had no bananas so i told the manager to walk 20 steps to the market and buy some. he actualy did i was suprised but really grocery store 20 feet away and no bananas .anyways life goes on and i expect the worst then im real happy when the normal happens lol .
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:48:28 PM by Lee2 »

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:40:20 PM »
fly swatter (manual) - out of stock in pure gold, sm, ace hardware

lighter (for stove) - out of stock in pure gold, sm, ace hardware

coffee bean & tea leaf - we used to have their one cup coffee maker but they would run out of their own sachets for several weeks.  we're now back to instant coffee.

smoothies - "we only have pineapple, strawberry and banana".  i chose banana.  sorry, out of stock.

the problem i think  is more than just staff ignorance/laziness. 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:48:41 PM by Lee2 »

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:31:13 PM »
What an overbearing comment.  Stereotypes are not only harmful in their own right; they do damage by fostering prejudice and discrimination.   I learned that on numerous (2x a year for 20 years) "General Military Training" when I was active duty in the military.   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:48:55 PM by Lee2 »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Out of stock and work ethics
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:50:37 PM »
I split this topic off another where the comments did not belong and changed the title of posts, my bad for allowing it and for contributing to it going off topic.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 08:45:06 AM »
IamJames, you don't scare anybody, but either I had to shop at another spot or basically approach certain employees that will help me and they do exist and you won't need to tip them, plus you can special order because I've done this such as ordering Krusteaz 10 lb Butter Milk Pancake mix, example:  Bossing (title) do you have this product or do you carry this product and give the brand name because if not there could be confusion and the easiest answer will be out of stock, sure enough the large box of Knor mashed potatoes was in a odd spot and the employee who was stalking the shelves got it for me right away but when I asked for mashed potatoes he had no clue when I mentioned Knor mashed potatoes it rang a bell, and another spot would be at the cash register till as your checking out ask for certain products they have the listing on their computer, so many things not in the open.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Online JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »
There are so many problems that I run into on a regular basis with the local worker in retail.  Just mind blowing really.

I wanted to get some Old Spice powdered deodorant.  I ask the counter person for the Old Spice deodorant as it was the only type of Old Spice in the glass case.

Without even looking in the case she shakes her hand and says "waray"(meaning nothing).  I get a look of disbelief and shake my head.  It's right there in front of me.  A few other customers are laughing. 

Are you sure? I ask.  Oo She responds.  I point at the over 30 sticks in the case and ask what those are.  Now a few customers are laughing out loud and some are just shaking their heads.  The service girl now is losing confidence and turns to her co-workers.  One of them come over and give me the waray and hand shake also.

Now one of the other customers mutters something at the service girls in local dialect and they both take on a shamed look and the manager, who was sitting behind a cash register comes and opens the case.  Pulls out the Old Spice brand deodorant and says "this is NOT old spice it is High Endurance.(I s*** you not.  Old Spice is the very first name at the top of the label, but because high endurance was the biggest part of the label, THAT is what they call it). 

Now, 2 other foreigners were in the pharmacy at the time with me and both laughed hard and one muttered "what is the first thing on top of the label".  The manager glared at him until the same local muttered something in local dialect again.  Now the manager takes on a very arrogant look and said something to the matter that it is sold in the Phils and they choose how to name it.  That got a lot of laughs out of the foreign men.

Had multiple times when asking if they had any extra of an item on the shelf in storage in back room.  They said they have none at all in store.  As mentioned above I am asking because I am staring at him and over his shoulder is about 3 boxes of the stuff I am asking about.

I was asking for lumber.  They ask what size.  I say 2x4.  No they say.  I shake my head because I was just going by their warehouse and saw huge stacks of it.  I tell them that.  The counter girls are not indignant and say waray with force and shake their hands again.  I go to warehouse.  Ask them what they call the 2x4.  The closest guy says "2x4".  I laugh and tell them what is going on.  The boss in the back sends the guy up front with me back to the main building and he tells the girls to sell me the 2x4.  They tell the guy there is non in stock.

I can go on for hours on this stuff.  Every time I go to get something I joke with Tina that we both know what we need is not in stock.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
"this is NOT old spice it is High Endurance."

Just blew coffee outta my nose!  We had the exact same experience.

The wife and I were looking for a roll of Velcro.  Searched high and low.  Looked for months.   Then one day my sweetie is amblin down the street and she spies a big fat roll of ...... Velcro.

This was a shop that we had searched earlier.   She went in and asked the sales girl for a roll of velcro.  "Wala, hand wave, no stocks".

Ester points to the roll on the wall. 

And the sales girl say " OHHH you mean Magic Tape,  why didn't you ask for it the first time."

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »
Just blew coffee outta my nose!  We had the exact same experience.

The wife and I were looking for a roll of Velcro.  Searched high and low.  Looked for months.   Then one day my sweetie is amblin down the street and she spies a big fat roll of ...... Velcro.

This was a shop that we had searched earlier.   She went in and asked the sales girl for a roll of velcro.  "Wala, hand wave, no stocks".

Ester points to the roll on the wall. 

And the sales girl say " OHHH you mean Magic Tape,  why didn't you ask for it the first time."
There are so many problems that I run into on a regular basis with the local worker in retail.  Just mind blowing really.

I wanted to get some Old Spice powdered deodorant.  I ask the counter person for the Old Spice deodorant as it was the only type of Old Spice in the glass case.

Without even looking in the case she shakes her hand and says "waray"(meaning nothing).  I get a look of disbelief and shake my head.  It's right there in front of me.  A few other customers are laughing. 

Are you sure? I ask.  Oo She responds.  I point at the over 30 sticks in the case and ask what those are.  Now a few customers are laughing out loud and some are just shaking their heads.  The service girl now is losing confidence and turns to her co-workers.  One of them come over and give me the waray and hand shake also.

Now one of the other customers mutters something at the service girls in local dialect and they both take on a shamed look and the manager, who was sitting behind a cash register comes and opens the case.  Pulls out the Old Spice brand deodorant and says "this is NOT old spice it is High Endurance.(I s*** you not.  Old Spice is the very first name at the top of the label, but because high endurance was the biggest part of the label, THAT is what they call it). 

Now, 2 other foreigners were in the pharmacy at the time with me and both laughed hard and one muttered "what is the first thing on top of the label".  The manager glared at him until the same local muttered something in local dialect again.  Now the manager takes on a very arrogant look and said something to the matter that it is sold in the Phils and they choose how to name it.  That got a lot of laughs out of the foreign men.

Had multiple times when asking if they had any extra of an item on the shelf in storage in back room.  They said they have none at all in store.  As mentioned above I am asking because I am staring at him and over his shoulder is about 3 boxes of the stuff I am asking about.

I was asking for lumber.  They ask what size.  I say 2x4.  No they say.  I shake my head because I was just going by their warehouse and saw huge stacks of it.  I tell them that.  The counter girls are not indignant and say waray with force and shake their hands again.  I go to warehouse.  Ask them what they call the 2x4.  The closest guy says "2x4".  I laugh and tell them what is going on.  The boss in the back sends the guy up front with me back to the main building and he tells the girls to sell me the 2x4.  They tell the guy there is non in stock.

I can go on for hours on this stuff.  Every time I go to get something I joke with Tina that we both know what we need is not in stock.
I love this quote from the wizard of oz "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." also "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".  I know it is frustrating but what can you do?  Also, majority of the locals especially those in the provinces does not like dealings with foreigners coz of the language barrier or what not.  The reason why they always says "out of stock" or "we do not have it". If you live in the PI, learn how to deal with it.  It is what it is.  Life is too short. 

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog