Author Topic: eBooks  (Read 13811 times)

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
Re: eBooks
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »
I seems that the EPUB format does not work,

Back from my CDRKing vacation :)

There are MULTIPLE versions of that cheap (in more ways than 1) book-reader at CDRKing...

NOT ALL read ePUB from the documentation... yet they look the same from packaging. Simply take your memory card there and you can test it out (which I accidentally left at home for my trip).

For the price - I would prefer one of those android tablets for the same price.. and I hate the android tablets, but they do ebooks in full color AND can be used to surf the web with wifi.

so.. 1. I hate the knockoff ANdroid tablets sold locally under 4k peso, but I like this epub reader even less... so if I had a choice... I would go with the sub 4k android tablet for more features and all... even thout I still hate that tablet... Both these items dissapoint me.

..and YES ! I was happy to investigate - because I need a reason NOT TO BUY the new Apple iPad 2 that will be released soon ! SO far I can find nothing that compares - grrr... time to waste 35k pesos !

Sold EVERYWHERE locally for UNDER 4k pesos - video of it in action below... same price as ebook reader but also an iPad imitation as well for mobile internet
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqXolf4aOPU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqXolf4aOPU</a>

NOTE: The video IMPLIES the local tablet only reads TXT format ebooks - the guy was NOT hip on his tech... its a freaking computer - all you need is to download one of MANY free ePub readers such as this one below:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2010/06/02/aldiko-free-epub-ebook-reader-app-for-android/
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 07:34:20 AM »
I seems that the EPUB format does not work,

Back from my CDRKing vacation :)

There are MULTIPLE versions of that cheap (in more ways than 1) book-reader at CDRKing...

NOT ALL read ePUB from the documentation... yet they look the same from packaging. Simply take your memory card there and you can test it out (which I accidentally left at home for my trip).

For the price - I would prefer one of those android tablets for the same price.. and I hate the android tablets, but they do ebooks in full color AND can be used to surf the web with wifi.

so.. 1. I hate the knockoff ANdroid tablets sold locally under 4k peso, but I like this epub reader even less... so if I had a choice... I would go with the sub 4k android tablet for more features and all... even thout I still hate that tablet... Both these items dissapoint me.

..and YES ! I was happy to investigate - because I need a reason NOT TO BUY the new Apple iPad 2 that will be released soon ! SO far I can find nothing that compares - grrr... time to waste 35k pesos !

Sold EVERYWHERE locally for UNDER 4k pesos - video of it in action below... same price as ebook reader but also an iPad imitation as well for mobile internet
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqXolf4aOPU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqXolf4aOPU</a>

NOTE: The video IMPLIES the local tablet only reads TXT format ebooks - the guy was NOT hip on his tech... its a freaking computer - all you need is to download one of MANY free ePub readers such as this one below:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2010/06/02/aldiko-free-epub-ebook-reader-app-for-android/

Thanks for the info. that Android tablet looks interesting at 4k, I am not into ipads, so 35k is way over the top for me. I like the B&N Nook Color and I am planning to use Pobox.ph to ship that plus some other goodies, but the shipping time would mean that it would arrive about the time we, hopefully, will be moving to our new house. Bing will be taking her niece to Manila on April 4th for a college music audition so maybe I will ask her to buy the Android for me. Where would be a good place near Gohotel EDSA/Mandaluyong?

Colin

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
Where would be a good place near Gohotel EDSA/Mandaluyong?

That is about middle from Greenhills Mall and Baclaran - those are the 2 places I have priced them in.

I assume they are also sold in the smaller stores in big places like SM Megamall (very near where your wife will be) and any place that has groups of vendors selling 2nd hand cel phones. - but I have not been to Megamall in months to verify.
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
Where would be a good place near Gohotel EDSA/Mandaluyong?

That is about middle from Greenhills Mall and Baclaran - those are the 2 places I have priced them in.

I assume they are also sold in the smaller stores in big places like SM Megamall and any place that has groups of vendors selling 2nd hand cel phones. - but I have not been to Megamall in months to verify.

Thanks, I will give Bing all the details and hope she can find it.

Colin

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
So, I just blagged a Kindle. I got it as a \'safety award\' here offshore. Plan was to buy some books I fancy off Amazon, and happily read away the five weeks I\'m out here.  ;D

But no, it ain\'t gonna happen. :(

Amazon won\'t sell me a Kindle format book unless I have a Kindle registered to them.   ???

To register you need to use the Kindle Wi-fi: Whispernet.   ;D

We don\'t have wifi out here.  >:(

Ah, but it has a USB connection.  ;D

Connecting with the USB cable doesn\'t do it.  ???

Oh yes, you can drag and drop Mobi format books into the Kindle using the YSB, but you can\'t register or access the net through it.  >:(

The newest downloadable e-book for Kindle is older than me. I have downloaded a nice copy of Treasure Island and Little Women.  ::)

Ahh, an opportunity, I can enter the serial number on-line to register.  ;D

But, Amazon tells me the Kindle is already registered to someone else: the purchaser, my company.  >:(

So, turn on the Wifi and de-register it, it tells me.  >:(

I assume that Amazon assumes everybody who buys a Kindle also has Wifi? 

I guess I should have known that, done loads of research etc, read a dozen reviews, rather than expect a modern gadget to simple \'work\' straight out of the box.  ::)

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 11:43:19 AM »
I guess I should have known that, done loads of research etc, read a dozen reviews, rather than expect a modern gadget to simple \'work\' straight out of the box.  ::)

That would be the OTHER company - hahaha

and why they justify costing much more... I am HOPING for an alternative but it look slike I have to cough up 25k pesos for the new one just announced yesterday.. grrrr

I really really wish bil gates would get the ball rolling so we have low priced alternatives that ACTUALLY work...

Pinoy pop band would agree with me

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 04:28:18 AM »

and why they justify costing much more... I am HOPING for an alternative but it look slike I have to cough up 25k pesos for the new one just announced yesterday.. grrrr

I really really wish bil gates would get the ball rolling so we have low priced alternatives that ACTUALLY work...

Pinoy pop band would agree with me

Dylan, Bill Gates may not come to your rescue but Google might if you\'re referring to the IPad.   Here\'s the latest review on the Motorola Xoom;

A Wi-Fi only Motorola Xoom is rumored to be coming to Sam’s Club at $539.99, a price tag that would put it in the ballpark of Apple’s Wi-Fi only iPad 2.

Droid Life highlights some pictures from an end-cap at Sam’s Club with the $539 price. Consider these prices rumors at this point. If you factor in that Motorola puts 32GB of memory into the Xoom many consumers may note that distinction and call the comparison with Apple’s 16GB Wi-Fi iPad a wash.

If consumers consider the Xoom at Sam’s Club to match the Wi-Fi iPad on price then it comes down to features. I’d argue that the Xoom would still fall short on that front. Consumers generally go for the known commodity (iPad) over the unknown (Xoom).

I’ve taken some heat for noting the Xoom has to come down in price. The argument from readers is that the pricing is on bar given Xoom’s performance specs and memory. But for the average consumer at Best Buy, price is going to be the differentiator. Among the ZDNet readership, the Xoom has a slight lead.

The promising point is that Xoom prices may be adjusting. Motorola Mobility probably still needs to hit the $399 mark for Wi-Fi to truly dent the iPad. At the very least, Xoom pricing is headed in the right direction. Rest assured that Android tablets prices are going to come down in a hurry.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/motorola-xoom-already-closing-the-ipad-pricing-gap/45682?tag=nl.e589
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 05:03:20 AM »
...Rest assured that Android tablets prices are going to come down in a hurry.[/i] ...

Thats my FAVORITE part of the article ! Thanks for sharing.

I hope prices hurry and fall ! hahah

Ya - early adopters pay a premium.... I remember paying over 4k pesos for a 3G USB modem locally 3-4 years ago and now they retail new for under 1k pesos.

I just HOPE I do not have to wait 3 years for a low priced tablet just to read some eBooks!

Offline Oztravels

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »
Just got back to Oz. They have discounted the base Ipad down to A$440 with the new ipad coming out.

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
Just got back to Oz. They have discounted the base Ipad down to A$440 with the new ipad coming out.

WOW !

thats less than the androids in USA... looks like I have to order up a balikbayan box from the relatives ! hahah

UPDATE: Just ordered one - its only $349 in USA for a refurb from the mfg with 1 yr warranty ($50 more for a new one with same 1 yr warranty)! ! WOW !
Thx again for the tip

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
I just found a website that allows me to download fairly new Kindle Mobi files for free. That\'s the price I like, and I even got the book I tried to BUY from Amazon for $15, except I\'ve got it free now.

Ha, I don\'t think I\'ll even bother \'registering\' my Kindle with the Amazon power-mongers now.    ;D

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 08:29:40 AM »
I just found a website that allows me to download fairly new Kindle Mobi files for free. That\'s the price I like, and I even got the book I tried to BUY from Amazon for $15, except I\'ve got it free now.

Ha, I don\'t think I\'ll even bother \'registering\' my Kindle with the Amazon power-mongers now.    ;D

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Well don\'t keep it a secret ;)  ;D

The only similar site that I have seen is a conversion of Project Gutenberg E-books. These can be downloaded directly and converted, if necessary, with a programme such as Calibre. Also they are all fairly old royalty free stuff.

Colin

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »

Well don\'t keep it a secret ;)  ;D

Ooops: http://mobibookz.co.cc/

They just this week made it a members site, but free registration.  ;D

Offline lordblacknail

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
I recommend the Kindle 3 3g for any ebook reader. And remember, I have over 200K plus ebooks. I will share with anyone that asks. Cook books, novels, childrens books, all sorts.
Gamer and eBook reader

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
I recommend the Kindle 3 3g for any ebook reader. And remember, I have over 200K plus ebooks. I will share with anyone that asks. Cook books, novels, childrens books, all sorts.

I chose, and have just received, the Sony PRS-T1, and I am very pleased with it. I wanted one that supporter the epub format, something the Kindle cannot do. It does also support many other formats, but epub seems to be more universal. I do use calibre, so can convert between most of the different formats. I was considering the B&N Nook, but Sony apparently had the edge for displaying pdf files which are said to be difficult to convert. I have over 2000 fiction books so I have stopped downloading those. I also have lots of non fiction including very many cookbooks, but have not yet got those organised on Calibre. I have also downloaded magazines including some Model Aircraft ones from the early 1950\'s when I first started in that hobby. I am hoping, in the future, to get a larger colour reader mainly for the magazines.

Anyone interested in reading should get themselves one of these devices.

LB, I may contact you if I find any gaps in my collection   ;):)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog