Author Topic: eBooks  (Read 13806 times)

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
Re: eBooks
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »
I was using a Sony Reader for a few years until the display got unusable with the previous pages still being visible when you turned a page. A couple of months ago I bought a Samsung 8.9\" tablet and it is wonderful for book reading, as well as being a covenient device for browsing and listening to music.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 07:31:39 AM »
I have been thinking about a tablet, but I don\'t really need a portable browsing device, I prefer to use a decent desktop computer. The other problem is the frequent charging, a coloured I-ink device would be far more suitable. At the moment there only seems to be the Ectaco Jetbook which is aimed more at students and teaching.

Ectaco also sell some interesting portable translators including Tagalog.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
I am a fan of the old warbirds from WWII and Korea.  Basically though, any of the magazines with military aircraft in, I like to spend time with.  Does that Sony do a good job of showing mags on it?

You too Richard.  I didn\'t see your post on next page before I posted.  I was talking about Colin\'s Sony.  But how about your Samsung?  I need something other than the broke down Nook I went and got.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
I am a fan of the old warbirds from WWII and Korea.  Basically though, any of the magazines with military aircraft in, I like to spend time with.  Does that Sony do a good job of showing mags on it?

You too Richard.  I didn\'t see your post on next page before I posted.  I was talking about Colin\'s Sony.  But how about your Samsung?  I need something other than the broke down Nook I went and got.

I have only had my Sony for a about a week and haven\'t tried any magazines yet. It is very similar to the Nook and only displays in monochrome. Pictures on book covers are not very good. I have looked at pdf files with the text enlarged and they look OK, so I imagine that a magazine that is largely text would also be OK. However, I would prefer something larger and coloured for magazines. I would think that Richards Samsung would be a good choice if you are happy with having to charge it fairly often.

Calibre has a built in ebook reader so that you can read anything in any format and in colour on your desktop/laptop/netbook etc

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:25 AM »
The Samsung Galaxy Tab\'s display is really wonderful. It is bright, clear, colourful and sharp and can show any format of publication, with full resolution graphics. Because it runs on Android and not a locked operating system, you can add on any apps or converters as you need them. Before I bought it, I was comparing this with the iPad which also has a very nice display. But with the iPad you have to go back to Apple for any add-ons which didn\'t appeal to me at all so I opted for the Samsung. Not cheap though.

Regarding the charging, usually I need to charge it every 2 or 3 days, I charge it overnight so it is quite painless. But I run the display at a fairly low brightness level because I find that comfortable for reading books. If I use it outside I need to turn up the brightness which increases the battery drain.

Richard

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
OK.  Thanks guys.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 02:59:04 AM »
It has only taken me a few months but I finally got me something.  I\'ve been looking for the Galaxy 8.9 but it is almost like they have disappeared off the market or something.  Looks like you can get them online but I wanted to check it out.  My girlfriend has a desktop, laptop, and iPad.  I have had a computer(s) at home for almost 20 years and yet, all I still had was a desktop.  She even has to pay more than I do for electronics so I finally decided to quit being such a cheapskate and get something instead of spending so much time shopping for something.  After all, it is my first tablet and after I get familiar with them, somewhere down the road, I will be wanting something else.  So, I went and picked up a Galaxy 7.0.  I think I prefer the screen size anyway versus the 8.9 or 10.1.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:54 AM »
For eBooks, that looks perfect!  I don\'t think I\'d like anything larger.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 08:04:47 AM »
If you just want to read pocketbooks then the smaller ones are fine, but you don\'t need colour and the e-paper type will last a long time on one charge. Mine will last me many weeks and at least two books. If you are interested in coloured magazines then the larger ones would be better. I am watching out for a larger tablet for that reason but have seen anything suitable yet. I have no interest in mobile computing or doing anything that I can do better on my desktop.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »
I am not in to internet on the fly either.  Desktop is fine and I plan to ship it.  It is a real good unit and I have not even so much as installed any extra RAM in it yet and I have had it a few years already.  Still going to get me a laptop before I leave as a backup.  I need a reason (for my satisfaction) to get it so, guess I will get it as Christmas gift this year for myself.

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »
One obvious advantage in having an internet connection with your tablet is that you can search for books and download them without having to use a PC. I have a wifi setup at home, so can just enable the tablet\'s wifi anytime I want to look for a new book.

Colin, does your e-paper display have a built-in backlight? I used to have a Sony Reader (no backlight), and found it ok in daylight, but not so useful in dim light. Even room lighting was not so good for reading because of reflections from the screen.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
Quote from: \"richardsinger\" post=47067
One obvious advantage in having an internet connection with your tablet is that you can search for books and download them without having to use a PC. I have a wifi setup at home, so can just enable the tablet\'s wifi anytime I want to look for a new book.

Colin, does your e-paper display have a built-in backlight? I used to have a Sony Reader (no backlight), and found it ok in daylight, but not so useful in dim light. Even room lighting was not so good for reading because of reflections from the screen.

Richard

My Sony Reader does not have a backlight and it would be difficult to read in dim light, but I always read in bed with a bedside lamp. I fitted a screen protector when I bought it and that cuts out most of the reflections from the screen.

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
Quote from: \"Colin\" post=47069

My Sony Reader does not have a backlight and it would be difficult to read in dim light, but I always read in bed with a bedside lamp. I fitted a screen protector when I bought it and that cuts out most of the reflections from the screen.

I used my Sony Reader for years and was very happy with it. The thing that made me upgrade to a Galaxy Tab was that the e-paper seemed to become sort of semi-transparent and you could see the previous page showing through the current page. Depending on the blackness of the e-book text, this could make the pages very hard to read. It was getting worse and worse so eventually I started looked at tablets. After using the Tab 8.9 for a few months, I would not like to go back to a reader without backlight. It\'s great being able to read in any lighting conditions, even in bed without any light on. And recharging isn\'t an issue cos every few days  I just let it charge overnight.

Richard

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 07:32:41 AM »
I have had my Sony Reader now for 6 months and very happy with it. I have had a few minor problems. A couple of times it has lost my place and put me back to the beginning of the book so it is worth having a rough idea of the page you are on so you can jump straight back close to your place. On several occasions things like not getting the dictionary or getting it every time I swiped to change the page; a full power down and restart cured these. On another occasion it simply stopped working but the little reset button put everything back to normal.

I am now reading 'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett, a good read; an epic based around the first world war.  I would also recommend his 'The Pillars of the Earth' and 'World without End' plus many other by him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:34:17 AM by Colin »

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2012, 03:27:32 AM »
I am now reading 'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett, a good read; an epic based around the first world war.  I would also recommend his 'The Pillars of the Earth' and 'World without End' plus many other by him.

Colin - I second your "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" recommendations.

For those who might have a practical interest in architecture (i.e., How the hell did they build those gigantic cathedrals a 1,000 years ago :o) these are marvelously interesting books.  Of course, that is just a side-story to these historical gems.

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog