Author Topic: Moonshine  (Read 15151 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Moonshine
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »
Hey, he\'s the one who doesn\'t like Red Horse!    ;D ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 09:41:58 PM »
Hey, you guys are making me thirsty!  Afghanistan is a bit dry (especially for those of us working here...lol).  Guess I will have to wait for my R&R to get back to some Redhorse and fresh grilled fish!   ;D
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 10:59:10 PM »
My drink is Coke Light Wala Ice!

God Bless...

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
New poster here. Love this topic. Im an old shiner from a long line of shiners. This will not work for traditional shine, but you can \"distill\" wine in a freezer. You just need to keep removing the slush that forms and use a food safe container that can handle the expansion of the liquid. Reduce by 35%-40% and you have a nice brandy.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum OldManBill
Ah yes... Freezer wine!
Have done it many times in my youth.
Cheese cloth works great to filter off the ice.
You end up with something that tastes like MD 20/20 or Night Train.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
Start a beer group. Everyone makes their own and you take turns throwing a beer tasting with with some good eats. You have a good time and thumb your noses at the local beer mafia.  ;)

Offline le0n

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »
Hi, Been lurking for a while down here in peaceful Davao.

Lived in the Philippines for over 2 years and have decided it wouldn\'t be worth the effort to make a still and brew your own hooch.

Used to cost me between AUD10 & AUD12 to distill and flavour 700mls a good Jack Daniels & here I can buy Tanduay 750mls for about AUD1.60.

San Mig Pale Pilson costs me P19.2 per bottle by the crate of 24.

Too much work when it\'s so cheap here & good stuff as well.

Now my efforts are put into trying to grow decent sized Tomatoes useing Hydroponics. Not easy here in this hot, humid climate but We\'re getting close.

Cheers  Leon...
,-._,-.
\\/)\"(\\/
 (_o_)

Cheers Leon...

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
To me, it isnt just about cost. Its about doing it yourself and doing it well. When you buy something, you really dont know what is in it. If you do it yourself, you do.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 09:11:49 AM »
OldManBill,

A lot can be said for doing it yourself, if for no other reason than to say \"I done it!\".   ;D

The locals know a lot about distilling their own.  My father in law and his barkada make lambanog, the local spirit of choice for most in the islands.  It\'s made from the sap of coconut palms and sometimes from the sugar palm.  Sap is tapped from the top of the trees where the fresh young fruit and leaf stem grows.  They tap the juice, cook it off and let it ferment naturally.  Usually takes only a couple of days in that heat.  What they have then is called tuba, or palm wine.  Quite often this name sticks after distilling even though it\'s no longer wine, but more like brandy or even closer to moonshine.

The tuba is then distilled in wooden stills, the runoff being lambanog.  It usually takes only one run to get stuff strong enough to peel paint.   ;D

I brought back two 750ml bottles (we drank 3 while there).  Both run about 165 proof and have a slightly \"jungle\" bite.  Good stuff!  You can bet I\'ll try my hand at it, just because.   ;)  ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline richardsinger

• Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 06:17:04 AM »
Lat week I tried lambanog for the first time. I found it far too rough and with a chemical smell, totally unenjoyable for me. Maybe the quality varies depending on where you buy it? Anyway 4 of us (3 Philipinos and myself) could not get very far down the bottle before giving up. Maybe I\'ll use the remainder for thinning paint!

Richard

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »
Lat week I tried lambanog for the first time. I found it far too rough and with a chemical smell, totally unenjoyable for me. Maybe the quality varies depending on where you buy it? Anyway 4 of us (3 Philipinos and myself) could not get very far down the bottle before giving up. Maybe I\'ll use the remainder for thinning paint!

Richard

Works great for paint removal, too!   ;D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »

Richard

Sounds like it is the same difference between \"rot gut\" and \"sippin\' liqour\". The moonshine that is made to be sold is normally called rot gut and has earned its name. Anyone who has made \'shine knows that when you cook, the first run is best, the second isnt. Then you clean your still an start over. Sippin liqour is made the same way, except that your \"beer\" includes fruits and flavorings. You also clean the still after each run. What you get is pure alcohol which you have to filter and cut. Most people just use water, but juice can be used.

Offline OldManBill

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »
OldManBill,

A lot can be said for doing it yourself, if for no other reason than to say \"I done it!\".   ;D

The locals know a lot about distilling their own.  My father in law and his barkada make lambanog, the local spirit of choice for most in the islands.  It\'s made from the sap of coconut palms and sometimes from the sugar palm.  Sap is tapped from the top of the trees where the fresh young fruit and leaf stem grows.  They tap the juice, cook it off and let it ferment naturally.  Usually takes only a couple of days in that heat.  What they have then is called tuba, or palm wine.  Quite often this name sticks after distilling even though it\'s no longer wine, but more like brandy or even closer to moonshine.

The tuba is then distilled in wooden stills, the runoff being lambanog.  It usually takes only one run to get stuff strong enough to peel paint.   ;D

I brought back two 750ml bottles (we drank 3 while there).  Both run about 165 proof and have a slightly \"jungle\" bite.  Good stuff!  You can bet I\'ll try my hand at it, just because.   ;)  ;D

For me, it is a do-it-yourself thing and a long, very long, family tradition. My family moved into Applachia in the 1790\'s and after building a place to live and planting and harvesting crops, began running off moonshine. They had been making their own \"booze\" long before they left Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 10:40:08 PM »
For me, it is a do-it-yourself thing and a long, very long, family tradition. My family moved into Applachia in the 1790\'s and after building a place to live and planting and harvesting crops, began running off moonshine. They had been making their own \"booze\" long before they left Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Whiskey Rebellion!   ;D  ;D  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »
Lambanog works as a great chicken marinade to kill off the bugs.  really paranoid about food safety, especially when we throw big bbq party.

It is also good to give your cocktails a cheap kick.  Make cocktail as usual, then toss in a shot of unflavored Orgy.  Works best when you got a house full of thirsty guests and only a couple bottles of the good stuff to stretch it out. 

Banana wine is pretty easy to make from what I hear although it supposedly takes a year or more of aging to be drinkable.

Did date wine awhile back.  drank some after 3 weeks, tasted horrible but it was the only booze available in dry country.  After a couple months aging in the back of the closet it came out quite tasty.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog