Author Topic: Hobbies for expats what are yours?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
Hobbies for expats what are yours?
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »
Maybe a hobby?

A neighbor of mine does wood cravings.

How about writing a journal regarding his life?

Painting? Collecting? Treasure Hunting?

Volunteer service? I was a nurse, so I volunteer at the hospital.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline graham

• Sr Member
Re: Re: Hello from Sta Rosa
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:21:55 AM »
Lee,

I was heavily into CB when it came out then took a change of direction to amateur radio
as my friend (many years ago) had a radio from an old WWII bomber. I somehow got hold
of a Kenwood 2-way radio and played with it for a long time. Sat a couple of times for my
licence, but failed each time to pass the Morse code part of it. Couldn't distinguish between
the "dits" and the "dahs". Do you have a radio here? Have never seen any mast in the Phil.
during my travels around.

Graham 

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Re: Hello from Sta Rosa
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
Lee asked me a while back to put some posts detailing all my many hobbies and interests, the idea being to get others to then expand on them. I decide first to update my website to include them then add links later. This is proving a little time consuming but it will happen.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Hobbies for expats what are yours?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 07:56:14 PM »
Good evening all, morning here in sunny South Florida with the fantastic temp of 79 degrees.

Graham I use echolink.org when in the Philippines on my computer to talk all over the world. Amateur radio in the US has now gone to no code so you might wish to check into it in the Philippines via PARA http://para.org.ph/ but back when I started I needed 5 words a minute and then later on 13 words a minute of morse code but I bet now I cannot even do one word a minute without a lot of catch up practice, as I have not done any code in many years and am now tone deaf in my right ear from so much shooting.

I too started out in CB radio back in the early 70's or maybe it was the 60's not sure and then a friend introduced me to Ham radio (Amateur) and that was the start of my talking all over the world as a novice first in code and then a Tech. Later on when I moved to Florida and got more into building repeaters with another friend, he built a 440 repeater and the two of us built a 2 meter repeater and then I built a 220 mhz repeater, all from put together items and not from scratch. Once the repeaters were completed we put them all up at my friends home on his 100 foot tower. Later on I moved my repeater to a building also approx 100 feet and then ran it totally on my own with a few control operators. Control operators are sort of like moderators and the owners are sort of like admins. I later on became a control operators on a number of other peoples repeaters in the area and we used to help each other with repairs and tower climbing.

Later on I got into 10 meter FM and then I decided that in order to let others talk all over the world using my low band radio linked to the repeater via an autopatch, then I would need to upgrade my license so I went to Advanced which required 13 words a minute and that is where I stayed since Extra class then required 20 words a minute and I was struggling to make the 13 word test. Once I had my advance license, then I would frequently link the repeater to my low band radio on 20 and 40 meters and let the repeaters users who were generally Technician class talk all over the world, once I established a good connection with someone and then linked them to the repeater. Nowadays all that can be done via a computer using the echo link site or another site called CQ100  http://cq100.software.informer.com/ so no longer a need for antennas and if a person wishes to then a long wire or verticle in the back yard would work if they have a home where they had enough room to run or install such an item.

Other hobbies include shooting, (please lets not let this get into pro or con of gun ownership) as well as meeting new friends. I have to run for now to go spend some time with a friend whose wife is being operated on this morning but I would be happy to answer any questions and I hope others can expand on their hobbies.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:23:22 PM »
I love traveling, amateur photography, eating foods from different areas/cultures, snorkeling, gardening (both floral and vegetable), sight-seeing, fishing, canoeing/kayaking/boating, BBQ'ing/cooking, spending time with friends and family, walking/hiking, exploring, shopping for "treasure" in small town markets in the PH, enjoying "eye candy" everywhere (Gloria keeps me on a short leash ;D), reading, watching sports, movies...  I'm certain I left out a few   :)

If anyone finds themselves bored, maybe they need to do a personal evaluation of their life.  I honestly believe that anyone who is bored in the PH was probably bored (and boring) where they came from. 
JMHO  YMMV
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:41:23 AM »
I also like swimming, diving and long walks around the malls for our exercise, that also affords me the opportunity to get some exercise for my eyes too.  ;)  8)

My wife and I pick up movies in APM Mall next to SM Mall in Cebu City, 3 movies for p100 and that keeps us busy as well.

When out in the provinces we love to walk around and explore and whenever we have the extra funds in the past we had traveled around the Philippines visiting family and friends. The Philippines is very centrally located to many wonderful places to visit, our hope is to visit some in coming years.

Let us not forget being on this forum, that gives me something to do and is an outlet for me to try to help others while at the same time learning from others, a win win situation. I would highly suggest people join this forum and read it daily while giving us their input and asking questions as well as learning from others. My wife and I have met some wonderful friends on here and hope to meet more.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 07:07:26 AM »
I am a huge reader and love to write, but not good enough to get published, sadly. Before we moved here, I used to make/assemble knives, leather goods, and felt hats for Civil war, Mountain Men, and Renaissance enthusiasts. when I was much younger I was into camping and off-roading, but lost the bug in my 40's. I always wanted a old box type 70's, FJ40 Land Cruiser, but could never justify the expense while living in the US, but here it is much more affordable and if the wife and piggy bank will allow, I am thinking about that as a future project.

We love to get those three for 100p DVD's too, and spread them out for movie nights. My wife (surprisingly), and I enjoy watching MMA. I used to walk more and weigh less before the arthritis messed up my knees. I hope to start using the pool at the clubhouse and see if I shed a few pounds. We would love to do car trips here but have yet to scew up the courage- has anyone done that or have ideas about the idea?

Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
We would love to do car trips here but have yet to screw up the courage- has anyone done that or have ideas about the idea?

Yeah... start small.  Last year we drove from Manila to Buguey, Cagayan Valley where the family farm is located, a total of approximately 375 miles (600 kms).  It took over 13 hours.   :o  :-[

Louisville, KY USA

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
Iíve been retired for 6 or 7 years now and I have never been bored. There is just so much to do. There are fun things and there are work type projects and there are some that are a little of both. There is bike riding I typically go for about 15 miles, If Iím a little lazy I might only go 10 miles, if Iím ambitious it will be 25 or 30 miles. There is photography and I also Photoshop pictures, and sometimes someone will send me a picture they want fixed for whatever reason.

The thing that takes up most of my time is I like to design and build things. Iíll just give an example of a very small and very fun project.

My sister asked if I would be willing to build a fireplace mantel (more like a modification to their existing mantel) for the fireplace in their living room. I rarely do projects for other people but this one looked like fun. So I took pictures of what they had and then worked up a few designs in Sketch-Up that I submitted to them and after several rounds of feedback from them I had a custom design everyone was happy with. I then built what I had designed, painted it and installed it.

The first picture is what they had to begin with.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:24 AM »
The next two are of the design I created in Sketch-Up.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:01:00 AM by hitekcountry »

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 04:05:21 AM »
The rest are of what I built and the final installation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:17:16 AM by hitekcountry »

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 05:46:08 AM »
Very nice Kitekcountry. I suck at wood work, so I can admire the handiwork with envy.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 07:13:33 AM »
In the past two of my main hobbies were dinghy racing and building radio controlled model aircraft.

Sailing would be good here, but I just could not imagine myself hanging over the side of a dinghy in a strong blow now  :(

I did bring a lot of modelling equipment with me but that is a little way down the list of things to do. I quite like the idea of one of these modern quadcopters fitted with a camera, but an RC version of the first power model I built in my teens is high on the list

My main interests now revolve around the use of my computer. Creating websites, editing photos, creating paintings at the moments. On the back burner are several music related projects.

I am now expanding my web site to include more details of my hobbies. This will lead to an independent and paid website possibly autobiographic in nature.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 07:28:51 AM »
Colin, what's your web site addy.
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:22:30 AM »
Colin, what's your web site addy.

Hi Stephen, it is http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/ I did not post it before because I am in the process of rearranging, adding etc. It was originally just to put details of my house build, which needs updating, but decided to expand it to add hobbies etc. The structure does not really suit my needs now but is OK for an interim measure untill I create my independant site which will need a paid host.

Everyone is welcome to look at it, but I still have not decided on the final structure yet and also need to expand on some of the entries.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog