Author Topic: Orchids & other Philippine Plants and Flowers  (Read 9237 times)

Orchids & other Philippine Plants and Flowers
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »
I remember seeing a post here a few days ago about Orchids ???? Anyway, I thought I would add a few more.

Taken at the local Festival

A minature Orchid about 1cm diameter from the Orchidarium, Luneta Park, Manila.  July/August is the best time to visit

Taken at the local Festival

Taken in the New Market, Puerto Princesa, Palawan

Colin

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Re: Orchids & other Philippine Plants and Flowers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:54:13 AM »
Nice fotos Colin.  I like the third one.  Very beautiful!

One of the reason I love the RP so and am so looking forward to being there full time is the flora.  It\'s always so green and pretty.  I have always found Bouganvillea to be very gwapa also.  The flowers of the RP are almost as pretty as a Pilipina.  Almost.   ;D

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:00:35 AM »
Hi Colin

Yes it was me who posted orchid pics on Sunday, and now they\'ve gone and disappeared! Hopefully the powers-that-be will get them back, though. Love your photos as well. In fact that is one way I am jealous of you living in Palawan. It seems to be the best spot in the islands for natural beauty. Do you also have spectacular butterflies as well? and birds?

John

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »
Nice fotos Colin.  I like the third one.  Very beautiful!

One of the reason I love the RP so and am so looking forward to being there full time is the flora.  It\'s always so green and pretty.  I have always found Bouganvillea to be very gwapa also.  The flowers of the RP are almost as pretty as a Pilipina.  Almost.   ;D

I have also got some photos of some very unusual Bouganvillea plus other flowers, I will post them some other time. We have a lot 100 metres deep, so when we eventually get the house built, I plan to grow Bouganvillea down one side and Orchids under a covered walkway down the other side.

Colin

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »
Hi Colin

Yes it was me who posted orchid pics on Sunday, and now they\'ve gone and disappeared! Hopefully the powers-that-be will get them back, though. Love your photos as well. In fact that is one way I am jealous of you living in Palawan. It seems to be the best spot in the islands for natural beauty. Do you also have spectacular butterflies as well? and birds?

John

There are two Orchid nurseries just north of Manila that offer packs of plants and will deliver worldwide. Can\'t rememder the addresses but Google search should find them. There is a Butterfly garden here in Puerto princesa, I have not been there yet but it is on the list for some photographs. There is a man that occasionally sells pinned and framed Buterflies here in the town, I don\'t know where he gets them from. You see occasional Butterflies in the provinces, but not too many Birds. I think they get caught and eaten  :(

Colin

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »
Hi Colin

John

John,

Sorry buddy, nothing could be done to reinstate your post. PLEASE  ::) can you post those photo\'s again. I think they are well worth sharing & could start a popular thread.  ;D

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »
Oh dear, mutter mutter, all that literary erudition to be remembered.
As it\'s you...

I think it would be good to have a section where folk could post pics of their prize blooms or indeed any interesting flowers they come across.

Here are some photos of our orchids. We are not experts in their cultivation by any means, but we are quite good at buying them! If anyone can help with botanical names for them or cultivation hints I would be grateful. I would like to post pictures of butterflies, moths and birds, but they won\'t keep still.

John

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
John, absolutely breathtaking!  The colors are so vivid.  They look so fragile that if I were to see them in person I would only whisper around them so as not to damage them.  Beautiful.  So glad you reposted.

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
Thank you, Greg. Unfortunately, like most things beautiful and delicate they tend to ration their bounty. Onced they\'ve bloomed you don\'t get another for many months, at least I don\'t. So any tips on cultivation greatly appreciated. We do the obvious like putting them under dappled shade.

While we are doing mutual admiration, I thought your post on the dangers of the onion family was hysterical, the best humour I have read on here. :D :D :D

John

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »
Thank you, Greg. Unfortunately, like most things beautiful and delicate they tend to ration their bounty. Onced they\'ve bloomed you don\'t get another for many months, at least I don\'t. So any tips on cultivation greatly appreciated. We do the obvious like putting them under dappled shade.

John

I don\'t know much about Orchid culture either, but I believe some only seem to bloom once a year. The ones in our garden bloomed this year for the first time, and out of about a dozen in the garden in Manila only one bloomed in the year we were there. When we went to the Orchidarium in Manila around March, there was very little in bloom and they told us to come back in July/August.

Colin

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »
Typical innit. You double a bloke\'s salary and he gets power-mad, move this here, move that there... ::)

Anyway, Colin, thanks for that. I feel slightly less incompetent, now. Seems there are two main types, which I call broad and narrow leaved. The narrow leaved seem to bloom frequently but the more spectacular broad leaved ones are parsimonious, as you suggest.

John

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:01:26 PM »
Beautiful  pics , to enjoy just  looking at these flowers is what enjoying life is all about , natures beauty is all around us. stillbilly

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »
I did my best to capture the beauty around me wherever I went.  It is amazing how much color there is if you look.  Here are a few pics from our last trip.  I never realized until now, but lavender must be a very common color.  This one was growing in my sister\'s doorway.

This one was growing behind the water pump.

This one was up on the roof terrace

And this one along the pathwalk on the way to the tricycle pilaan.

There were also many bushes growing alongside the pathwalk and even these had flowers popping out of them.

Louisville, KY USA

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
Mr. Graywolf, also very nice and very beautiful fotos.  Orchids.  Like a Pilipina.  Beautiful and yet  fragile.  Handle with utmost care.

I seem to remember a Tagalog song called Bulaklak (Flower).

Thanks Jack.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 01:17:11 AM »
Mr. Graywolf, also very nice and very beautiful fotos.  Orchids.  Like a Pilipina.  Beautiful and yet  fragile.  Handle with utmost care.

I seem to remember a Tagalog song called Bulaklak (Flower).

Thanks Jack.

Boom te yaya, boom te yaya, boom ye ye!   ;D ;D ;D

Louisville, KY USA

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog