Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I think what's being stated in the OP is that the Filipinos are odd.  Even more so with those of us that are from a place like the USA.  We follow the instructions that the producers of the product make.  Weather it be maintenance or repair or what have you.

I, like Dick, have seen locals pull things out of their rear end and state them as facts even if they oppose the manufacturers statements.  Then they are able to get other locals to believe it as if it was written in the Bible and preached in the church on Sundays. 

A car needs oil changes every 2000K miles.  Yet, a local(my wife) will do it monthly regardless of how many miles were driven.  I can go on with other things that work the same way.  Then they'll go the other way on other products.  A kitchenaid mixer last forever so never touch it.  I finally had my parents add some proper grease on the yearly box they send and maintained it myself.  She just shook her head.  Why does that need maintenance. 

They are odd.  They believe what they've been told even if the people who make the products have something entirely different written in their owner's manual or website. 
Not quite sure what you are saying, but yes car maintenance schedule should be followed, including cleaning the aircon.
Philippine Culture, Filipino Family Relationships / Philippine people are strange people.
« Last post by Dick on November 15, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
Philippine people are strange people, they are not law abiding, but some of them are abiding hearsay.

A college educated woman has insisted to take a brand new Toyota to workshop for wheel alignment after one year use, because she has been told that every car shall be aligned every year, she believed this as a must obey rule without considering other factors such as mileage, road condition, etc.. I told her to release her hands from gripping steering wheel, and the car runs straight, but she still said the car shall be aligned. I let her take the car for alignment in the fourth year.

She insisted that an air conditioner shall be cleaned every year, although the air conditioner has only been used 1 or 2 times or even has not been used at all in the past year, because someone outside had told her every air conditioner shall cleaned every year, I told her to ask the worker who clean the air conditioner, the worker told her the air conditioner was covered with dust and shall be cleaned, I explained to her cleaning air conditioner with water and soap  will cause it rust and do more harm than the dust but she still believed in what she had heard. The air conditioner is not useful to me, I let her do as she likes.

These are two of my experiences.

Real Estate Information / Re: renting property
« Last post by Frosty on November 14, 2018, 04:16:11 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I have never lived in a condo but I might think about it.
we are planning to buy in the future, right now we are going to try living in the P.I. for about a year
before we make the commitment to buy land and build a house
I think if the right deal came along, for the right price, We would be interested in it.
« Last post by medic3500 on November 13, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
Have any of you had a problem with the price going up just because you are white?
We own some property on Bohol and I was not able to look at it until a price had been writen down.

How long do most leases last?

Are the utilities put under the renters name or under the onwers name?

Yes they tried it with me and again it was the lawyer owner from my previous post above. My wife did all the negotiating with the lawyer/owner. The first time he saw me he said he would have to raise the rent by two thousand pesos. I very politely said we have a signed contract and asked him if he was that corrupt in his practice. He turn beet red and didn't say anymore. Fortunately due to leaky roof and structural damage we voided the contract after a couple months and he actually gave back most of the deposit.
« Last post by M.C.A. on November 13, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »
Frosty the owner of the property would be the only one who would be able to hook up the electricity.  I've heard many expats that also get soaked by the landlord who will hook up his electrical line to your apartment, this happened to me but we have a house (in-laws and neighbors connected) and it was so bad that the electrical company told me to create another concrete post and start over so now I have a gate in between the posts, my bill went from 10,000 pesos no airconditioning to 3,000 pesos.   :(

Another issue I've come across on these forums is they don't like to give up their deposits and if you leave early and try to get out of your contract they'll report you to Immigration. 

Have you thought about owning your own condo?
« Last post by Frosty on November 13, 2018, 06:54:37 AM »
Have any of you had a problem with the price going up just because you are white?
We own some property on Bohol and I was not able to look at it until a price had been writen down.

How long do most leases last?

Are the utilities put under the renters name or under the onwers name?

World News / Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP)
« Last post by Peter on November 12, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »
Makes interesting reading.

From yesterday's APF News < https://tinyurl.com/y9wt28nk  >

Peter
Expat life in Philippines / Re: Gold panning in the Philippines
« Last post by JoeLP on November 12, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Gold mining in the Phils is a different game.  Two fellow foreigners here in my area "mine gold".  They never do more than buy the rights to mine an area.  Then they have locals that go do the actual panning.  They get a cut.  But that's it.  At least for this area.  The "palms were greased" in the buying of the mining rights concerning government and other parties. 
One of them has made money of this in a nice fashion.  The other one is making money, but not much so far.  He's paid for the investment...but not much more than that.  But he's still going forward as the pay to the miners is a share.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog