Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Looks and sounds like an excellent situation, Hayling. Just don't burn your boats yet in The US and don't make any hasty permanent moves here.  Come and experience a crazy kind of life you could not imagine. But always keep your door open for exit.
Iamjames made a very good point.  Immigration is VERY easy to get things done with.  So don't worry about the marriage side.
Other great points, if you want to live here like you do in any first world country...the cost is pretty much near the same. 
If you are planning a more rural living, like I did and am doing now, make sure you have someone you trust very much.  My Tina is amazing and did a lot of the work making my transition smooth.  I do live very easily on my pension.  But I know for a fact if I wanted to move into Cebu City or Manila or any other major city, it would be a whole different story.
I looked up the place you mentioned over on Panay island.  You should be safe there.  You won't be too far from where the founder of Precious Moments retired to and I believe most ceramic tall dolls for precious moments(not the figurines, but the 18 inch dolls) are still made at some Precious Moments park setup there. 
You should be very safe form any of the muslim terrorism and probably safe even form the NPA.  More of less these days the NPA doesn't mess with foreigners as much as they battle the government.
Also you are far from any of the cities.  Almost opposite from Iloilo.  So the costs should be low.  But, the "fine living" of first world is probably not to much in view in that area also.

Best of luck.  And as others have said, I suggest boots on the ground before the move.

Thank you so much for the valuable insight, and all the information. I am under no illusion that moving to a rural simple life, where resources are totally different will take some geting used to, but that is the appeal for me. I know I may say different when I get there, and I know there are no creature comforts that I have now, but to strip life down to basics for me after living in the greed of NY and other places, attracts me.
We have a house which is very low cost, less than 3000PHP per month it looks better than this now, but it is large, and has a shower and bathroom, real matress bed and more. I want to grow my own veg, we already have so many fruit trees, and Lezo and Kalibo are close enough for most facilities.
If life is great where your at,  stay.    In my opinion the chances of getting into trouble for any variety of reasons are about the same in any place.   It is just that the trouble will be different,  but trouble all the same.

If I was going to run out of money,  Philippines is one of the last place on earth I would want to be.  If I had enough to get buy,  then it has many good points and for many of us the love of our life is either from or living there.

I still remember military basic training,  wow it was a culture shock...  And many told me not to do it for lots of reasons.   Best choice I ever made.

Thanks, actually I KNOW she is not a scam, we have known each other for well over a year, never asked once for money, works hard herself for very little, and has great life values. We talk on the phone almost every day and video chat. We even have a house lined up which belongs to her cousin who permenantly works away, but we will pay her a small monthly rent of 3,000PHP per month, wi-fi is an extra 1,000..
I will maybe have to put air-con in, but as far as I have looked, it is all as it seems, but thanks for the heads up, which always make sense
Thank you all for all your words of encouragement and giving me the balance I was looking for. I think people are so quick to see the downsides of everything, and maybe that is just an understandable warning of the hazards of live anywhere.
I thank you all for taking the time to write. I have never been to The Philippines before, and to be honest, I have only been to countries that have a similar western culture, so I am aware and excited of the challenges ahead.

I will be coming soon, I always really was, but I was looking just for what you guys have given me, which is the words of positive encouragement, so thanks again.

World News / Re: Thoughts on North Korea and the nuclear threat?
« Last post by lost_in_samoa on August 15, 2017, 03:35:38 AM »
Why does everyone worry about what they cannot influence?

It's called Forethought.

{sarc on}  You should try it sometime. {/sarc off}
Expat life in Philippines / Re: Family & Friends Trying To Convince Me Not To Come!
« Last post by JoeLP on August 15, 2017, 01:43:23 AM »
Iamjames made a very good point.  Immigration is VERY easy to get things done with.  So don't worry about the marriage side.
Other great points, if you want to live here like you do in any first world country...the cost is pretty much near the same. 
If you are planning a more rural living, like I did and am doing now, make sure you have someone you trust very much.  My Tina is amazing and did a lot of the work making my transition smooth.  I do live very easily on my pension.  But I know for a fact if I wanted to move into Cebu City or Manila or any other major city, it would be a whole different story.
I looked up the place you mentioned over on Panay island.  You should be safe there.  You won't be too far from where the founder of Precious Moments retired to and I believe most ceramic tall dolls for precious moments(not the figurines, but the 18 inch dolls) are still made at some Precious Moments park setup there. 
You should be very safe form any of the muslim terrorism and probably safe even form the NPA.  More of less these days the NPA doesn't mess with foreigners as much as they battle the government.
Also you are far from any of the cities.  Almost opposite from Iloilo.  So the costs should be low.  But, the "fine living" of first world is probably not to much in view in that area also.

Best of luck.  And as others have said, I suggest boots on the ground before the move.
Expat life in Philippines / Re: Family & Friends Trying To Convince Me Not To Come!
« Last post by FastWalk on August 14, 2017, 11:00:32 PM »
If life is great where your at,  stay.    In my opinion the chances of getting into trouble for any variety of reasons are about the same in any place.   It is just that the trouble will be different,  but trouble all the same.

If I was going to run out of money,  Philippines is one of the last place on earth I would want to be.  If I had enough to get buy,  then it has many good points and for many of us the love of our life is either from or living there.

I still remember military basic training,  wow it was a culture shock...  And many told me not to do it for lots of reasons.   Best choice I ever made.
« Last post by FastWalk on August 14, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
Any scenario that ends up with China vs US would be bad for Philippines as both have great influence in many ways.  A side would have to be taken.  US vs NK,  Philippines might be able to stay neutral and not be involved.

I still remember the initial Desert Storm operation,  and the media leading up to it.   Iraq had a huge army,  albeit the end results turned into a mess but the initial operation was relatively quick.  The US is for today the only Hyperpower (albeit with problems..).

Risk of direct attack on Philippines,  in my opinion is low.  Not high enough to worry about.
« Last post by iamjames on August 14, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
All pure speculation on the the scale of "the sky is falling" rumour. If we start worrying about hypotheses like this it is a sure road to an early grave. Why does everyone worry about what they cannot influence?
« Last post by iamjames on August 14, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
Hayling you'll do just fine, you're only concern will be dealing immigration because it sounds like you're single, that's something you could work on before you get here, it's a long trip and no fun dealing with your immigration status here, you will want to stay. Philippine Consulate General in NY.  http://www.newyorkpcg.org/

???? Being single has nothing to do with immigration here. Dealing with immigration is as easy here as tying ones shoelaces. Just come any time you want and stay for up to three years  (then leave for a day and come back for 3 more years). You will have to extend your visa every two months or six months.

My advice is not about living here but the lady you met online. There are 100 scams for every genuine case. Be very careful. If she has already asked for some money (for anything from feeding the hungry baby to medical treatment for the sick Caribou) the be wary. This is only something you will learn from lots of experience so possibly I am wasting my time even trying to warn you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog