Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Joe....You were talking about what Chuck said, not me.  Although I agree with what he said, he is the one who said it.
Questions and Tips About This Forum / Re: spell check
« Last post by Lee2 on May 20, 2018, 10:41:17 PM »
This is an old topic but a person does not need spellchecker if they access a forum etc via Google Chrome or Firefox, both browsers provide spellcheck.
Expat life in Philippines / Re: The Philippines verses first world
« Last post by medic3500 on May 20, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »
I'm glad you and I always get a chance to meet up Jack, you're a hell of a nice guy.
I am still happily using 7 and IMO it would be great if I never have to upgrade, heck I have friends in the Philippines including some knowledgeable expats still using XP and seem happy to continue, as long as business sites will continue to support it, most of the ATM machines in the Philippines still run on XP.
Windows 12 is all about VR
Yes, you’ve read that right! Our sources from the company confirmed that Microsoft is planning to release a new operating system called Windows 12 in early 2019. Indeed, there will be no Windows 11, as the company decided to jump straight to Windows 12.

The reason behind this name is rather a symbolic one. Windows 12 is the bridge between the classic Windows OS and the new innovative OS. It marks the beginning of a new era in personal computing: the VR era.
MORE
World News / Re: AH-64 Apache Helicopter
« Last post by Peter on May 20, 2018, 03:27:27 PM »
Yes they do, they all have scheduled maintenance, that's why this seems  a little odd, it has been in service for more than 20 years.

Quote from the article < ...The service has detected a number of defective nuts  ....  >

It is possible that there has been a change of supplier, as it would be unlikely, IMHO, that there would be any of the original manufacturer's nuts in stock after 20 years or so. Or maybe just a defective batch with a limited life cycle.

I'm sure the QA/QC inspection/investigation teams will get to the bottom of this.

Peter
"Bases" is misleading when it comes to what the USA has "officially".  Touching on what Bud said, 6 total troops in a country and a house/storage facility count as a base.  And many of the foreign USA bases are exactly that.  Very lightly manned building(s) with not much else to them.  Not the large compounds with runways, ports, and all that.  Just a building, sometimes 2 that sit in a foreign territory that has a few troops in it/them.  They are also public knowledge and the governments of the territories they are in know of them. 

So, a majority of the US bases are NOT what China is building in a contested territory with many claims on those islands.  China is moving in on land that is not legally theirs and building on it.  The USA does not have a base open under those terms.  But sure, exactly the same...right?
What he said
« Last post by jjcabgou on May 20, 2018, 09:11:25 AM »
Would think they looked at those things for wear and tear along with stress on scheduled periodic calendar inspections like with fixed wing aircraft.  I can't fathom it would be any different because it is a chopper as I used to see those guys taking their birds apart for inspections too.
Yes they do, they all have scheduled maintenance, that's why this seems  a little odd, it has been in service for more than 20 years.
"Bases" is misleading when it comes to what the USA has "officially".  Touching on what Bud said, 6 total troops in a country and a house/storage facility count as a base.  And many of the foreign USA bases are exactly that.  Very lightly manned building(s) with not much else to them.  Not the large compounds with runways, ports, and all that.  Just a building, sometimes 2 that sit in a foreign territory that has a few troops in it/them.  They are also public knowledge and the governments of the territories they are in know of them. 

So, a majority of the US bases are NOT what China is building in a contested territory with many claims on those islands.  China is moving in on land that is not legally theirs and building on it.  The USA does not have a base open under those terms.  But sure, exactly the same...right?
Probably the same reason that the USA has about 900 military bases outside of their mainland.

We have downsized we only have 700-800 now.  USAF had 6 bases in Germany now down to 2, same in UK closed some RAFBs,  Actually the number of bases is misleading since they are counting storage/maintenance facilities and radar sites as bases.  Why do we have overseas bases?  One reason maybe because our borders are Canada/Mexico/Atlantic/Pacific. We also have agreements with NATO and Asian allies to provide military support if needed in a timely manner. 

Chuck
« Last post by BudM on May 20, 2018, 01:15:28 AM »
Would think they looked at those things for wear and tear along with stress on scheduled periodic calendar inspections like with fixed wing aircraft.  I can't fathom it would be any different because it is a chopper as I used to see those guys taking their birds apart for inspections too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog