Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Relationships / Re: Feel trapped in a relationship?
« Last post by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am on June 28, 2017, 10:05:25 PM »
Good friends and neighbors of ours both Fil-Ams (not dual citizens), went on vacation to the U.S. to take care of business. The guy will come back to the Philippines permanantly and his spouse of 40 yrs will remain in the U.S. with her youngest daughter. Why? Because they both no longer can get along.
« Last post by Lee2 on June 28, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »
In our relationship the good outweighs the bad, I try to focus on the good whenever I get upset by the few upsetting items.
« Last post by lost_in_samoa on June 28, 2017, 09:04:22 PM »
being trapped

I suggest that you take a break.  Go find a peaceful place.  Really look inside yourself.  Try to ascertain what exactly that impression of confinement stems from.

Then start dealing with it.

« Last post by codefreeze on June 28, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
It seems everyone here is obviously not feeling it...interesting!

Thanks for your thoughts. I take it you are going to work though the issues?

I don't necessarily feel I want my relationship to end, just I have these feelings of being trapped - it's difficult to explain. I wondered if anyone had felt that and managed to find a solution (ideally without ending the relationship).

Building in the Philippines / Re: Security at Home
« Last post by HappyBee on June 28, 2017, 01:59:49 PM »
It's no different than modern buildings anywhere. I snagged this off of the interwebs:

Thanks!
« Last post by JD on June 27, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
Sorry to hear that your property sustained damage from the typhoon. What do you mean by steel decking? It must have another name where I am from. I was thinking about using hardwood planks underneath the concrete roof to make it look pretty from the inside... but I dunno whether they would do much in terms of supporting it.

It's no different than modern buildings anywhere. I snagged this off of the interwebs:

« Last post by jjcabgou on June 27, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
I did the math using 30,000 Americans.

If you were an American living in the Philippines in 2016 you had a 0.026666666666667% chance of being murdered.
« Last post by jjcabgou on June 27, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
now I am seeing numbers closer to 30,000 americans living in the Philippines, this 'seems' more accurate.
« Last post by jjcabgou on June 27, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
Here is a great link, it identifies American deaths by a time period in the Philippines.
in 2016 there were 8 Americans murdered in the Philippines.   Best data I can find is there are over 250,000 Americans living in the Philippines (does anybody have better data).   And that does not count visitors.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/statistics/deaths.html

I wish I could find a site that included all expats.
« Last post by HappyBee on June 27, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »
+1 on the concrete roof idea,  for lots of reasons.

Yolanda(super typhoon 2013 ) took our attic (that is now a concrete roof) at our beach house.  Suggest to use steel decking under the concrete.  The link from M.C.A looks really good.  But use the steel decking under it.  Make sure to have a stairs to the roof.  Then can have a waiting shed there to protect from the rain or sun.  The roof access of course needs a locked secure door also.

If a storm takes the roof,  then no security at all until fixed..

Sorry to hear that your property sustained damage from the typhoon. What do you mean by steel decking? It must have another name where I am from. I was thinking about using hardwood planks underneath the concrete roof to make it look pretty from the inside... but I dunno whether they would do much in terms of supporting it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog