Author Topic: Shipping Boxes back to the UK  (Read 778 times)

Offline Montgomery Cliff

Shipping Boxes back to the UK
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »

Morning All.

Am having a problem and would welcome guidance.  After many happy years here we are relocating back to the UK.  Have managed to reduce important personal items to approx 11 large size Balikbayan boxes.  Only problem is finding someone who will ship them back (sea-freight) to the UK.

We do not have enough to fill a small container so are probably looking at consolidating the load. 

A UK based Balikbayan Company that we have regularly used for London - Manila boxes quoted an eye-watering GBP 2000-00 to ship the boxes. Another freight forwarder here says they can only do air-freight for us.

Do any members have suggestions for a reliable / not wildly expensive firm that may assist.  We need a pick-up from Metro Manila with then either a service to door in the UK or, if necessary, a UK Port pick-up.

Thanks in advance.  Monty.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: Shipping Boxes back to the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:31:19 PM »
Just an FYI.

Ships from Asia to the U.S. and Europe are usually full because of all the exports from Asia to the U.S. and Europe.

Ships returning to Asia are partially empty.  That's why the shipping rates for Balikbayan boxes from the U.S. and Europe to the PHL are so cheap.  (It's not cheap in the reverse direction.)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 04:00:41 PM »
Yeah, there has been a lot of expats from the UK returning to their home country lately. I guess you can't take the UK out of them and force the P.I. upon them.
I've known a few Brits in our subdivision and they easily get bored/lonely out of their Gourd and drink a lot of their home country's popular Guinness beer.
Case in point, my wife's friend was frantic looking for her Brit husband in his late 60s last night. Found him drunk at his favorite Pub down the street from where we live.
Luckily he has no plans to ship boxes back to the U.K., they'll just go back to the U.K. for visits.   
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
It might be worth trying LBC Express.  Based in London and have offices etc. all over Philippines.   They ship both ways, not sure of the costs myself, but am aware of family members sending me stuff previously through them, and as my family there never have any money would have thought it not too expensive.

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:34:58 PM »
Just spoke to a few filipino friends here in the Uk, one of those had moved back 2 years ago.  Was told they used Highlightexpress in London for a complete house move.  They also ship smaller consignments, and I believe are used by the Philippines Embassy as well.   Might be a bit dearer, but obviously well trusted.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog