Author Topic: SRRV update and health care  (Read 611 times)

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
SRRV update and health care
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
Hi,

this is really a quick update on where I am after wandering the rocky landscape of Philippines retirement visas. I started with two questions:

1) What's the best visa option for me to stay long term in the Philippines?
2) How do I get healthcare cover/treatment in Philippines? (For me this was a blocker issue)

1) For me, and I stress the "for me" part - the SRRV Smile is the best visa option. It ticks all the boxes and has advantages I hadn't anticipated, such as the ability to work. While my main aim is to retire, I would like to pass on my 30+ years of technical skills so was wondering about doing some part time teaching in a college or Uni - with SRRV that is possible.

2) The healthcare cover issue seemed a bit of a conundrum. I looked at various options and providers. Reading many posts on this forum I think there are a lot of special cases - with many Americans here - especially retired from the forces - who have other healthcare options. For someone from the UK it was not clear what my options were. That has now been solved and I have had it confirmed that with SRRV I will be able to avail myself of the services of PhilHealth. This is a lot more affordable than some of the other options I'd been looking at. For some reason I had not understood that PhilHealth would be available to foreigners, so the fact that is available, if you have a SRRV, was a big deal for me, and another hurdle jumped over as far as I'm concerned.

Something that I had also not seen before, and which I think is very useful, not just for me, but generally, is this link to preferred providers, with discounts they offer:

http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/banks?page=1&pcat=merchant%20partner

There are a number of clinics offering discounts to SRRV holders, which is really nice to know, but there are some other value added services that I think will be quite useful, discounted travel being one service I will most likely use - a lot!

The fog is starting to lift...I think!

I'd also be interested to hear from guys/girls from UK about what your SRRV experiences have been.

Cheers,
Tony
---

Living in the UK. Retiring early in 2018 - possibly to Philippines.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: SRRV update and health care
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »
Have you seen the inside of a "hospital" here Tony? Have you seen the level of expertise available? 
LOL - the flight home and the NHS would be total luxury in comparison.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »
You can work on an SRRV but you'll need to apply for an Alien Work Permit http://pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program2/2?page=1  What a hassle but this is not a requirement for the 13a, you still have requirements but you won't need to apply for a work permit and then reapply yearly.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 11:07:53 PM »
Have you seen the inside of a "hospital" here Tony? Have you seen the level of expertise available? 

Thankfully not yet! ;)

My thinking is in case of emergency (e.g. heart attack) you don't want to be stuck with a giant bill for medical treatment. This happened to a Canadian guy I know in Thailand and the bill was something like US$36,000 as he had surgery and was in hospital for weeks. You might not be in a position to fly home in this scenario.

Depending on the situation I may go private for some treatments, if necessary:

http://delossantosmed.ph/facilities/

It depends what the insurance covers.

There is a good point you make here though - what exactly does PhilHealth give you coverage for and at what facilities - that is something I need to research further. But the point is the emergency scenario appears to be covered.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
You can work on an SRRV but you'll need to apply for an Alien Work Permit http://pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program2/2?page=1  What a hassle but this is not a requirement for the 13a, you still have requirements but you won't need to apply for a work permit and then reapply yearly.

Well if AWP was a hassle and/or expensive I wouldn't bother. It depends on what the opportunity is. 13A doesn't apply to me as I'm not married.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »

Why yes I have, I had surgery at the Medical City in Manila and the hospital was as nice, clean and modern as any I have been in the US, the care was outstanding. Some hospitals in smaller towns and provinces lack funding and equipment but not everything in the country is behind the times.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 03:48:14 PM »
Why yes I have, I had surgery at the Medical City in Manila and the hospital was as nice, clean and modern as any I have been in the US, the care was outstanding. Some hospitals in smaller towns and provinces lack funding and equipment but not everything in the country is behind the times.

Good to know!

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
Official Philippine Government Link with requirements and costs for AEP.
http://www.ble.dole.gov.ph/index.php/web-pages/118-alien-employment-permit

Checklist.  http://www.pra.gov.ph/dl_form/file_name/77/AEPChecklist.pdf

Thanks for the link.

I had a quick read already - so PHP 8,000 a year is around GBP 126 at the moment. Not too bad although there will be incidentals. Justifiable for even a fairly low-paid part-time teaching post.

Not a blocker for me, but good to know it's there if needed.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 04:53:19 PM »

Free healthcare via the NHS is no longer available to expats.  You now have to pay for any medical treatment.
Londoner at heart

Offline David690

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
Thankfully not yet! ;)

My thinking is in case of emergency (e.g. heart attack) you don't want to be stuck with a giant bill for medical treatment. This happened to a Canadian guy I know in Thailand and the bill was something like US$36,000 as he had surgery and was in hospital for weeks. You might not be in a position to fly home in this scenario.

Depending on the situation I may go private for some treatments, if necessary:

http://delossantosmed.ph/facilities/

It depends what the insurance covers.

There is a good point you make here though - what exactly does PhilHealth give you coverage for and at what facilities - that is something I need to research further. But the point is the emergency scenario appears to be covered.

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony

Agreed that PhilHealth is not expensive, but I understand that it only covers a relatively small portion of the medical charges.  Whilst every little helps, I suggest that if you want complete peace of mind, it will be necessary to take out private medical insurance.
Cheers,
David

(moved post out of quote box)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:45:29 PM by Lee2 »
Londoner at heart

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »
Hi Tony

Agreed that PhilHealth is not expensive, but I understand that it only covers a relatively small portion of the medical charges.  Whilst every little helps, I suggest that if you want complete peace of mind, it will be necessary to take out private medical insurance.
Cheers,
David

(moved post out of quote box)

With regards complete cover through additional private medical insurance - do you know of any providers for Brits?

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
Same here, I have had treatments at the asian hospital in Alabang and was pleasantly surprised at their facilities.   So far I have no complaints at all.   

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog