Author Topic: What's your typical day like?  (Read 557 times)

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
What's your typical day like?
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »
This question is for those who have retired or semi-retired to Philippines...

What's your typical day look like? What time do you get up? What do you do all day? What activities or hobbies do you enjoy?

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
Re: What's your typical day like?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
This question is for those who have retired or semi-retired to Philippines...

What's your typical day look like? What time do you get up? What do you do all day? What activities or hobbies do you enjoy?
funny, I was just thinking how much I miss certain things.   Given I am taking care of many family members, my retirement is not what I envisioned.  I am tolerating it for a couple of reasons, 1.  they are family, and 2.   I am young enough to start doing the things I wanted to do a few years down the road.  Wake up about 5 or 6 am, have a glass of buko juice, take the nieces to school, have some coffee and wait for whatever breakfast.   Watch the news or NFL total access.   Clean up some around the house, water the gulay, listen to some music.  about 2pm I play basketball, either alone or with my brothers in law, finish exercise in the house.  Go to the market, and pick the girls up from school.  Watch PTI, eat dinner, relax, pop open a beer, and watch a movie or something.   Pretty mundane.  Sometimes will spend a couple days in Makati just to break things up, or hit a local club to watch a live band.  They have a Beatles cover band this Saturday so will probably go check that out.     

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
First of all being retired is great, I can wake up when my body tells me to, unless we have something we need to do that day, and go to sleep whenever we wish to, when we do not have anything planned for early the next day.

As for what to do, we do almost the same in the Philippines as when back home, we go places to walk, so a/c malls seem to be best for me, some friends go to the gym, and we go out with friends to eat, shopping and wander around to places to see and also go to movies and friends homes and some come by our condo and hang out on our balcony having a drink or two watching the world go by. In my case, my health keeps me from walking around much outside where I would sweat too much and be in the sun too much but I used to enjoy doing that a lot too in past years.

Chances are if you do it back home, then you should be able to do the same or similar in the Philippines, getting used to the mindset of no longer having to be anywhere on a clock is hard to do at first but once you do, then retired life is great. 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »
Up at 6:30 am. Make coffee. Get my beloved off to work. Watch baseball on GSAT at 7 or 8 am. Surf the internet. Do some online research. Eat some brunch. Start counseling sessions if requests are pending. Maybe some laundry or a trip to the market. Prepare dinner. Eat when my beloved comes home. Watch the news, some local programs and then a movie on GSAT. Relax and chat with family online. More surfing and research until my eyes start to close. Toss in the occasional domestic and/or international visits to round out our lives. (6 flights upcoming in a few weeks) and Bali and Cebu (again) in 2018.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »
Up at 6:30 am. Make coffee. Get my beloved off to work. Watch baseball on GSAT at 7 or 8 am. Surf the internet. Do some online research. Eat some brunch. Start counseling sessions if requests are pending. Maybe some laundry or a trip to the market. Prepare dinner. Eat when my beloved comes home. Watch the news, some local programs and then a movie on GSAT. Relax and chat with family online. More surfing and research until my eyes start to close. Toss in the occasional domestic and/or international visits to round out our lives. (6 flights upcoming in a few weeks) and Bali and Cebu (again) in 2018.

Not bad!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:20:59 AM »
I always like cooking but now it has become an obsession - especially since I discovered an honest source of spices etc. in Manila.
Now I have the equipment so I experiment making sausages and have had great success. Choritzo, Kielbasa, etc are far easier to make than I had thought.
Apart from that I make many breads, bacon, ham, processed meats without the chemicals etc. And the latest adventure kicked off this week -  making rum infused cocktails (daquiris). Next step will be a bar  -  serving an unknown dimension here which is "shots" and cocktails with fingerfoods and NO rice or large bottles of Red Horse! Everyone says it will not work here but maybe that is because they have never seen it. A bit of class in the boondocks will be fun lol - I don't even need to make any profit -  just fun.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
What's your typical day like?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 05:47:25 AM »
Largely depends on the time of year.  Right now we are planting rice.  So we are on a "light -> dark" schedule.

I am usually up by 0300 or so.  Slurp coffee and read the news until 0500.  Then the "3 S's", deliver a cup of mud to the sweetie in bed, and open up the compound.

The family is motivating and the crew arriving by 0700.  Develop plans for the day and "turn to".  Merienda at the work site mid morning and afternoon.  Lunch and supper in the "dirty kitchen".  See the day wind down at 1730 or so.  Batten down the hatches at sunset.  In the fart sack by 2100 unless there is some night-time issue to address.

Some of y'all will be aghast at our norms.  The wife and I are retired after all.   

We believe that the understanding/perception of leisure has been radically changed in the last century and a half.  Due largely in part to the teachings of a gentleman named Bernays.

Being aware of this, we choose to adopt a traditional view of pleasure.  Pride in familial/personal accomplishments.   Purpose - less - ness is the number one ailment in the "golden years".

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog