Author Topic: A few Pictures from Yolanda  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: A few Pictures from Yolanda
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 01:17:03 AM »
Majal,

My comment about posting on old threads was not intended as criticism.  Au contraire, you did a service by bringing something worthwhile to my attention.

As for posting to old threads in general, Lee has kindly set out the moderators' views on the matter.  I was simply expressing my own practice, because it is not always easy to remember from forum to forum what are the rules.  I am a member of some where posting to a thread over a year old will bring a strong rebuke from the mods, as well as some whining by members, who perceive some opprobrium in the practice.
We are trying to be easier going with the rules on this forum of late, but I do agree, sometimes when an old thread is brought up, it can cause more bad issues than good, whereas other times, such as in this thread, it is good to see it come back up. The main thing we want is for everyone to enjoy the forum and learn as well as post as much information as possible, so everyone is helped. I have always tried in the past on other forums to run them as if it is a family but in the past on this one, I and the other admins were much more limited by the stricter rules, that is until I and some others sat down with Don the owner of this forum in Cebu City earlier this year and discussed some of our thoughts. Anyway it is all a balancing act and we hope that being a little looser with the rules while not going too loose, will hopefully make for a more enjoyable forum for all, I know it is a lot less work for all of us moderators this way.  ;)

Edit to add, okay lets now get this topic back on topic and that especially includes me.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:31:33 AM by Lee2 »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 02:44:43 AM »
Majal,

My comment about posting on old threads was not intended as criticism.  Au contraire, you did a service by bringing something worthwhile to my attention.

As for posting to old threads in general, Lee has kindly set out the moderators' views on the matter.  I was simply expressing my own practice, because it is not always easy to remember from forum to forum what are the rules.  I am a member of some where posting to a thread over a year old will bring a strong rebuke from the mods, as well as some whining by members, who perceive some opprobrium in the practice.

None taken :)! No worries and nowhere near criticism.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »
Being as it came up, Ill update what I see two years later...somewhere on the forum right after we got power and internet back, I posted what it was like some seven months later...
Today, still no traffic lights downtown, many businesses that use to be here are gone...If you drive out Real the main street from the Sta. Nino Church...a lot of the stuff on the water side is still gone and there has been little effort to rebuild it...The Astro Dome is in the process of being rebuilt but not completed yet...
Most of the squatter areas that were destroyed are re inhabited as they were before...the stuff you heard about moving them out turned out to be not so true...
The bunk houses that have been mentioned before that were built out of coco wood and 1/4 inch ply are still there, supposedly temp at the time of construction...but no sign of moving people two years on...
Palo seems to be fairing better than Tacloban, the mayor is an Aquino so most of the money ends up there..they are even talking about moving the Airport there...even though there is a perfectly serviceable runway that was built by the US at the Tacloban airport...
A small SM was built downtown, Gasanios is up and running, Robinsons still has a lot of un occupied space..but they are building an extension to it so who knows if they have somebody to occupy the new spaces...
Tacloban is rebuilding but very slowly, its all Politics....after two years, Maline and I are planning on moving, finally reached our limit on Politics and the futility of trying to make this place better...We are going to turn the farm over to a BIL and Aunt we trust with Maline visiting every three months or so...right now it looks like we will re locate to Pampanga if things work out...if not like I said before, back to plan B what ever that is..
I guess I could go into a lot more, and if I get time, Ill try to take some pictures of the same places today that I posted right after the storm, its really the only way you could get the idea without being here..
Lee
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog