Author Topic: Troy and me ; fishermen !  (Read 3435 times)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
Troy and me ; fishermen !
« on: November 07, 2010, 05:10:10 AM »
This was going to be a difficult decision to make,.. do I let my son go on an overnight fishing trip with the new local \"big boat\",.knowing how drunk the crew are when they leave and how long the trip lasts ??
My 11 year old son Troy had nipped my head all day until finally I accepted our invitation to go along with the fishermen for a night on the high seas.
We set off at 6\'00pm, boarding the new catcher ship via the smaller storage boat that accompanies them.
The sea between Cebu and Negros oriental ( Tanion strait ?) was smooth as a duck pond, it was a beautiful half-moon lit night and the flashing of the lightening in the distance just made the sailing out very enjoyable. Troy and I were lucky,. we were given the captains bunks, just behind the wheel and fishfinder/radar monitors,.... so we could easily see for ourselves what was going on.
When we got near to the fishing grounds the boat would weave from side to side,.. looking for the fish,.. it was a great sight sitting way up on the top deck in the open air, watching the two boats weaving along behind us in silence ( to save fuel ) just making out the outline of the rope pulling them both in the light of the moon and clear starry night.. The crew were amazing to Troy, they knew him well from the village as he would say Hi to them whenever he passed them with his friends on the way for his daily swim at the shipyard. They took him round the new boat, showing him where everything was and how it worked ( I followed along too ). He backed off when they offered him some boiled rice from the kitchen, from a huge old pan with several fish lying inside the lid to steam for their dinner. We already had our \"lunchbox\" packed with goodies, so decided to tuck into that instead. What a tremendous feeling it was ,.. sitting with my son, alone on the top deck of the ship, beautiful clear skies, sitting talking as father and son, eating our packed lunch and drinking our chilled cokes together. I wont forget that moment for a long time.
So,.. the ship finds some fish on the monitor,. this is around 12 midnight, out goes the net,.. its too dark to film or take photo\'s , so we just watch. Felt realy sorry for the crew when the net came back in after an hour or so,.. only one box of small tuna!
It didnt seem to bother them, so off they go again, searching. This is when Troy and I decided to go for a kip in our bunks. A small room just behind the wheel,.. windows were wide open so the lovely cool breeze from the sea was soothing as we just rocked along gently. I,m not sure where all the fish were hiding the rest of the night,.. but the nets never went back out while we slept.
Just as the sun was rising around 5-6 oclock I think,.. there was a shout that there was more fish. Out went the net,... this time it was light enough to film and take some photo\'s. It was amazing watching these guys working,.. everone knew what they had to do once the net started coming in. I was watching the divers as they took it in turns to swim out with a big rope and attached it to the net further out,.. so that it helped to haul it in. Again, we waited while they brought it in,.. it takes a long time to haul in a net this big. Sadly, it was only another one box of fish landed !
Time to head home,.. we were both so tired, we got taken to the shore by the smaller storage boat,.. because the big boat was staying out to fish another night. When we arrived home we were offered a small bag of the fish catch . I felt so bad as they hadn\'t caught enough to pay the fuel.
Troy said he enjoyed the \"adventure\",.. but he wouldnt do it again as we arrived home at 9.00am and spent most of the early day sleeping in our bedrooms.
Two days later the crew arrived back in the village. I met up with them at the local sari sari and sat down for a good few hours and fed them Red horse for most of the day. Made some really good friends that night and hope to meet them all next time I\'m over. Was surprised to learn that the crew came all the way down from the north of the island to work on the boat. Only a handfull of local guys were on board.
Anyway,.. thats my story for tonight,.. need more sleep,.. damned jet-lag !!

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Re: Troy and me ; fishermen !
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
Over fishing has become a real problem both here in the Philippines and elsewhere around the world. The was a very interesting programme on Nat Geo recently about the reduction of Blue Fin Tuna stock. It also showed a graph on the reduction of the size of the fish over the last ten years. It is just not practical to go around in these big radar equipped ships dragging everything out of the ocean. It would seem that the Japanese are mainly to blame as they take 90% of the world catch. If nothing is done about it, it can only get worse. These big trawlers should be laid up, and the crew find alternative work, difficult here in the Philippines.

Colin

Offline friendlysaint

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »
IMO i think the best thing to come out of this adventure was having that quality time with your 11 year old son, now with u being back in Scotland u may not have that time soon again.
Singapore Iloilo Express
Western Visayas

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
Colin,; the ship was not that big, but big enough, and I totally agree with you. 6 years ago when I first visited the village, they were hauling in 100 -140 boxes on a regular basis with the old boats. I cant see how they are making ends meet with this brand new built one pulling in 2 - 20 boxes per trip and sometimes none for 3 days in a row. Mind you, when theres not much fish, the price rockets up about 50 % at the market.
Talking about fish,... Troy and I went down to the pier one morning for a stroll and stood and watched a huge shoal of small fish resting / hiding right in the side. When I say shoal, there was millions of them, about the size of half a football field. They were shoaling left to right , hypnotic watching them at times, then suddenly they would jump about a foot out of the water and when they separated you could see these huge fat blue fish chasing around the bottom trying to catch them. Great sight to see and hadTroy glued to the spot for a good hour. Strange that none of the locals had seen them as there was no-one else around until after we left. ..

Friendlysaint,.. yes , your right,.. Troy stays with his mum during the week and lives with me every weekend. We had a great time talking to each other, driving on the motobike every morning to cool off around 11 oclock, just wandering along the coast waving to the locals as we passed by. Think he\'s had the time of his life this time round............

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
Apart from a single jackpot haul of 60 Styrofoam boxes,by bro in law is trying to sell his fishing boat that was built 3 years ago.. Im surprised he left it that long as the catches were depressing ..I went out with them a few times with my rod and bait and never caught anything..
A couple of expat mates here tried to start a fishing charter business with high hopes but didnt last a year..Never actually caught anything and they were equipped with fish finders etc..
The local fishermen do not ever throw anything back here..we often see 3\" long trigger fish and tiny young tuna and barracuda for sale...I even seen the odd clown fish thrown in with the \"catch\" too.. The large supermarket here have fish farms for much of their stock..Pretty much the way to go these days.

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:21:43 AM »
A good thing I\'ve seen in Tagbilaran harbour and off Panglao Island Nature Resorts islet is fish rearing pens.

I believe the pens in Tagbilaran are used to rear tuna to more advantages market size/price
PINR pen is to hold and increase size for their restuarants\' Lapu Lapu dishes

3\" triggerfish at the causeway fish market? 3\" sardines for kilawin, sure. I buy \'em for fried whitebait too.

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
I also met another ex-pat who has been living there for 5 years. We met up and had a night drinking the \"Horse\" at his beach house and talked quite a lot about the lack of fish. I told him I had went snorkelling with Troy several days before but was dissapointed to see little or no fish on the usual local coral.  His thoughts were that there would be worse to come as he believed the fishermen were taking every last tiny fish from the water. If there\'s no small fish,.. there wont be any to grow into big fish he said.
When I think how vast the seas and oceans are, will there not be plenty fish out there still ?
Is the reformed human diet got something to do with the loss ? (less fatty red meat, more oily fishy )

Jonny

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 04:43:47 PM »
Sounds like a great time, father and son, something you\'ll remember long after he has flown the nest and has a son of his own.

As for overfishing, there was a program on tv a couple of weeks ago, which apparently disproved everything this group of salmon experts had preached for years, that salmon were dieing out in a certain area. The annual fish count produced about 300% more fish that it was supposed to, and nobody could explain why. The final reluctant conclusion was that maybe the experts aren\'t quite as \'expert\' as they thought they were.

I personally don\'t think the experts are wrong when they say we are overfishing the oceans.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »
The strange thing is that here in  Bohol,although fish are thinning out so much beyond the fish reserves the diving within them amongst the coral reefs are still fish soup!!
Tons of exotic species,turtles,snakes etc...Great diving here in Bohol and other  diving areas that are protected throughout the Philippines..(security and protection with varying degrees)
I have noticed over the years that Foreign and local Dive shops have helped protect these areas in a major way..
The more tourist diving centres that open...The better,IMO.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »
The more tourist diving centres that open...The better,IMO.

As long as they are properly run, and not just money making yokels.

If you go to Boracay you\'ll see the snorkelling day trip bankas dropping their hefty steel anchors right in the middle of the coral people want to see.......

And the result, well, it doesn\'t take a rocket scientist to realise what ripping great chunks out of a coral reef is going to do.

The coral is pretty much all smashed to smithereens, hardly a live piece anywhere in sight!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:12:41 PM »
Pretty much impossible these days on many reefs in the R.P (Certainly Bohol) where reefs are protected by permanent DENR bouys that cover fish/coral reserves..
Certainly seen the damage caused that you described in other areas in earlier years..Really depends on how the local DENR branch police their respective areas ..
In our area,tourists and divers are the islands bread and butter and the reefs are well looked after by both local officials and the dive shops that patrol daily.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog