Author Topic: Sport fishing in Cebu  (Read 6743 times)

Offline kennysato

Sport fishing in Cebu
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
Is anyone here from Cebu that is interested in Sport fishing? How about kayak fishing? Does anyone here know of any lakes here in Cebu that you can have a picnic or go fishing in a lake or pond?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Sport fishing in Cebu
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »
Hi Kenny!

I moved your topic to the proper board, "Sports and Leisure"

I don't know of any lakes near Cebu.  They have a large lake on Mindanao, but I wouldn't suggest going there to fish for security and territorial reasons.

Lake Patabangan on Luzon Island is a large, clean lake with a healthy population of Largemouth Bass.  No outfitters that I know of, however. 

I've been told and have seen evidence that there are good freshwater fish to be caught in the rivers and streams, especially those that feed agricultural areas.  My wife tells me that tilapia, catfish (known by locals as mudfish)  and snakehead are caught every day in the river behind our farm in northern Luzon.

Milkfish are often raised in fish pens on the many lakes and rivers.  I'm sure there are a few that make it out to free water and might be hooked in certain seasons.

These are some good guides for saltwater fishing:
http://www.filipinolinks.com/Sports/Fishing/

Happy angling!
 :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline kennysato

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »
Thanks Gray Wolf...was actually just interested to find some fishing spots and buddys in the Cebu area...Also ones interested in kayak fishing since I am trying to promote the sport here in Cebu and get more people interested... :)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:11:45 AM »
My brother has a fishing kayak made for freshwater lakes in the US.  I haven't tried fishing from it yet, but am willing to try.  Are your fishing kayaks primarily like that or are they larger for saltwater?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:39:37 AM by Gray Wolf »
Louisville, KY USA

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 01:57:52 AM »
When I first started thinking about moving to the Philippines I wondered about the fishing. I like saltwater fishing and I looked around at fishing sites.

I have fished from canoes a couple times and sometimes from small flat bottom boats. Mostly when I went fishing in a canoe someone else got to fish me out of the water. Small flat bottoms were some what safer but I soon found that their bottom didnít fit well with mine.

I wound up with a series of center console boats the last one being 22 feet. I thought about bring it but shipping cost were high and I donít expect it could hold enough gas to get there on its own. Then I heard about the taxes they charge and gave up altogether and started communication with Steve Brown of

http://blueskysportfishing.com/

Heís not in Cebu now but I think he used to fish from there. He could tell you a lot more about what goes on.

This is not meant as an advertisement for him, just passing on a link.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that Steve Brown is no longer in Cebu, but there are others in the list I originally posted.  Many areas offer diminished commercial fishing, but that doesn't mean an angler with a boat or access to one can't get out and enjoy a day on the water and bring home a fish or two.  Like any fishing adventure, it's all a bit of skill mixed with good fortune. 

Any day spent fishing is better than a day in the office.   ;) :) :)   
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:08:03 AM »
I too used to be an avid fisherman in California, but since moving here to the Philippines I've only done some fishing where we first lived in Olongapo City near the once old Navy base now called SBMA, never really caught anything there off the pier or shipping docks, but it was a nice day spent outdoors nearby the sea!
A few friends of mine and I are planning a fishing trip to Batangas one of these days! One of the guys brought so much fishing gear from the U.S. and it would be such a waste not to use them! So, Batangas here we come where ever or when ever! I'm ready to go anytime! Just takes a little advanced planning!   
Sport fishing is alive and well in the Philippines! Here's a few sites to review to get some ideas where to go fishing in the Philippines, you choose what you want to see for yourselves, because anyone can do a Google search or find anything on you Tube: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=sport+fishing+in+the+Philippines&hl=en&sa=G&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=hqZLUf3RKcrpkgWhkYCIDQ&ved=0CJIBELAE&biw=1344&bih=762&sei=fapLUdenHabRiwKLqYD4Bw

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sport+fishing+in+the+Philippines&oq=Sport+fishing+in+the+Philippines&gs_l=youtube-reduced.12...1548203.1559159.0.1562388.32.27.0.5.5.0.144.2829.6j21.27.0...0.0...1ac.1.xzNiOQrfaho
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
There is a sports fishing club in Bohol if thats any use?
Google, kaylaa resort and inquire directly to them.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:41 AM »
Ahhh a subject close to my heart, Sport Fishing. Growing up in Ohio never had much of a chance to do open water fishing. Then thanks to my employer when I was older for sending me to wonderful Panama for 5 years then I became hooked. My favorite was butterflying fresh caught Bonita (Trevally) (awesome fight for small size) using it for bait and trolling for Dorado. We used Dorado in everything. Cevichie, smoked, grilled, deep fried. My mouth is watering thinking about it. How I wish I could get out of the concrete jungle for a week and relax on the water. Second best is my love of flying ultralights, used to be a Cessna driver but it got to expensive and I let my license expire. 

Offline kennysato

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
sorry for late reply...the fishing kayaks we use here in Cebu are made by Feel Free and sold at Tobys Sports in SM Mall...they are 9'-13' long and very stable high quality...we have a little kayak fishing tournament coming up May 19th in Suba Liloan, in Cebu...

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
Hi Kenny,

Yes, those look about the same as my brother's fishing kayak.  His is surprisingly stable, even with my chunky butt in it.   :)   

I would think that fishing around the areas you mention might be fun!  I hope to hear more from you, perhaps with some photos from the tournament!

Feel free to mention the tournament here and keep us in the loop on future gatherings.

Happy Angling!   8)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:51 PM »
I donít think Kayak fishing is for me. I tried canoe fishing once and they ended of fishing for me since the canoe revolted and threw me out. I would be afraid the kayak would be bobbing around out there upside down with me hanging under it. And since I canít breathe water it probably wouldnít end well. 

I love fishing so I will keep an eye on these postings and maybe something will come up. Maybe someone will build a towboat sized kayak.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog